Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #91
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
There won't be any "beef". It'll be "corporate speak fresh air". It always is!!!
I don't have to look very hard to find the bull.

04-09-2012, 01:07 PM - 3 Likes   #92
Veteran Member

I'm just waiting for the next mission statement that includes solutions to issues facing the global user community. Hopefully it will be a key message outlining thought-leading research in an empowered work environment. We should only expect the best from their high-performance corporate culture. Otherwise they'll have to revisit those issues to align their end-state visions. But what will the push-back from end-users be?
04-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blue Quote
is that a euphemism for horse flatulence?
lol
04-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
I don't have to look very hard to find the bull.
Agreed

04-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'm just waiting for the next mission statement that includes solutions to issues facing the global user community. Hopefully it will be a key message outlining thought-leading research in an empowered work environment. We should only expect the best from their high-performance corporate culture. Otherwise they'll have to revisit those issues to align their end-state visions. But what will the push-back from end-users be?
That sounds an awful lot like the output from a committee.
04-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #96
Pentaxian

+1
That's right, if it is the dawn of top service and quality control then...
Pete
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That sounds an awful lot like the output from a committee.
I'm fudging from essays on CorporateSpeak in Geoffrey Nunberg's GOING NUCULAR. I'm just trying to maximize the incentivization of the end-use audience, eh?
04-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I'm fudging from essays on CorporateSpeak in Geoffrey Nunberg's GOING NUCULAR. I'm just trying to maximize the incentivization of the end-use audience, eh?
Ah, I see. Personally, I prefer Sir Humphrey in Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister as my exemplars of such language.

04-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Ah, I see. Personally, I prefer Sir Humphrey in Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister as my exemplars of such language.
That's from TV, right? Sorry, never touch the stuff. My mind is weak enough anyway.

Last edited by RioRico; 04-09-2012 at 04:03 PM.
04-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #100
Pentaxian

Wow! I'm impressed that someone in the US has even heard of Yes Prime/Minister. The best written TV scripts of all time.

"Very courageous decision, Minister."

"It's the people's will. I am their leader. I must follow them"

"'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Very funny and full of insight.
04-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #101
Veteran Member

That's from TV, right? Sorry, never touch the stuff. My mind is weak enough anyway.
One of the few programs, from the 80s in fact, that will not weaken your mind IMHO. Should be compulsory for those new to dealing with "administrators".

I have been a fan of the program for decades. Every few years I trot out the episodes and watch them again. Amazingly literate, incredibly insightful, and the endorsement from Lady Thatcher when she said that it was her favorite program of all time clinched it for me many years ago.

"Yes, it could be said, by those with a generosity of spirit, that the English speaking world includes the United States."

"Irregular verbs:
I have an independent mind
You are an eccentric
He is round the twist"

"With respect Minister."
"Humphrey, will you stop using that filthy language with me! I know what you mean when you say 'with respect'!"

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
04-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #102
Pentaxian

There is a stage comedy doing the rounds with a version of Yes PM, written by the original people. (Names escape me) I took my 17yo son, who has a budding understanding of politics and the wheels of government, to see it. We both laughed, but at very differently pitched jokes.

It is a little unsettling to see Sir Humprey, Bernard and Jim played by different people though.

The phrase 'a courageous decision' is ligua franca in Australian politics, Sir Humphrey gets regular mention in Parliament, and so on. This is seminal Telvision which has informed and illuminated a generation of political junkies.
04-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
There is a stage comedy doing the rounds with a version of Yes PM, written by the original people. (Names escape me) I took my 17yo son, who has a budding understanding of politics and the wheels of government, to see it. We both laughed, but at very differently pitched jokes.

It is a little unsettling to see Sir Humprey, Bernard and Jim played by different people though.

The phrase 'a courageous decision' is ligua franca in Australian politics, Sir Humphrey gets regular mention in Parliament, and so on. This is seminal Television which has informed and illuminated a generation of political junkies.
Alas but Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne have passed away, so the play could hardly have used the original cast. Still, differently pitched jokes - not sure how that would fly.

I found the exact quote:
"It's closely observed portrayal of what goes on in the corridors of power has given me hours of pure joy."
- Margaret Thatcher, quoted in the Daily Telegraph
04-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

Rio,
Even my eighth graders know enough Orwell to remember the push back from the end users in Animal Farm, "Who ate the milk and apples?'' and "Napoleon is always right." Obfuscation is a beautiful thing.
04-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #105
Veteran Member

No word from Ned yet. And now it appears that his posterous site is down?
Closed Thread