Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
... Dont' forget Pentax mount Sigma lenses are just as good quality as Pentax Lenses.
Got my eye on an 8-16, can cash in megabuck DA14 to do it
Pete

04-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
He has to make a list? Really?
What a joke.
You would have him randomly respond ?
Could take months
04-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Got my eye on an 8-16, can cash in megabuck DA14 to do it
Pete
Pete, talk to me if you are planning to do that :-)
04-07-2012, 03:35 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on prior experience of a couple of years ago on this and other forums, Carlson and Ned know better than to try to hold an intelligent dialog with the forum members.
They were run off by the self-righteous Class A jerks that infest the forums, so you won't see them try that again.

04-07-2012, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Based on prior experience of a couple of years ago on this and other forums, Carlson and Ned know better than to try to hold an intelligent dialog with the forum members.
They were run off by the self-righteous Class A jerks that infest the forums, so you won't see them try that again.
That's a real shame -- I'd value highly a thoughtful dialogue with Pentax management and decision-makers.

The moderators should be swift and brutal with rude, disrespectful and obnoxious postings that spoil the "friendly Pentax camera forum" that this site tries to be.

Last edited by Gray; 04-07-2012 at 06:16 AM.
04-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, I'm certain that even if Ned tried anything useful he'd be welcomed with something like:
'Hey Leica's nerd, still working for Pentax?' or anything as smart...

Wonder why he doesn't try, really, can't get it...
04-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Wonder why he doesn't try, really, can't get it...
We get what Hoya paid for.

04-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And what a lot of idiots asked for too btw.
04-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Gray, you must be referring to baldeagle21's post when you talk about rude posters, right?

FYI, JCPentax was greeted with a lot of enthusiasm by many including me. However he did not like it when someone asked things like "you did all the hard work with the tone mapping for the HDR function, why did you not include auto rotation?". He got upset with such questions and did not respond in a professional manner AFAIC. This lost him a lot of sympathies.

As for Ned: He is an intelligent person so he knows that it does not look good if you leave your blog unattended for months repeatedly, even when new products are launched at the same time. He also knows that his "I'll make a list" statement looks quite unfortunate when there is currently only one burning question. I liked Ned's style in the past but if I judge him correctly he cannot be proud of his recent publicity activities himself.
04-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The Hoya boys used to let him blog about his Leica. :HornetNest:
Completely understandable - Pentax can't compete with Leica.
04-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Enthusiasm? Like enthusiastically saying he should be fired? Because this forum is full of armchair experts, and each of them would do a so much better job? Yeah, I can see this forum as being very friendly, and welcoming him.
Ned was almost (virtually) lynched when he dared to like a non-Pentax camera (on his personal blog). It would happen again, no matter what the response.
04-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Enthusiasm? Like enthusiastically saying he should be fired? Because this forum is full of armchair experts, and each of them would do a so much better job? Yeah, I can see this forum as being very friendly, and welcoming him.
Ned was almost (virtually) lynched when he dared to like a non-Pentax camera (on his personal blog). It would happen again, no matter what the response.
If I were Ned or John I wouldn't openly post here again, either. In an open Forum one is exposed to all manner of classless, unrestrained people. Yet often the kernel of a classless post has some truth to it, more the damning if expressed politely.

No one questions Ned's desire to shoot Leica. Many people here own and shoot them. Many more would if they could afford one.

What we question is the wisdom of the CEO of a division of a global consumer products company praising a product manufactured by a (admittedly distant price-wise) competitor. Should Alan Mulaly (CEO of Ford) blog about a Ferrari?

Ned occupies a privileged position - there can be only one CEO of Pentax USA. It is unfortunate that sometimes with privilege comes some sacrifice of absolute freedom - in this case the freedom to blog as one sees fit personally. My company, for instance, doesn't permit us to have Facebook or Linked-In accounts at all. A personal blog must be registered and emails sent to managers for each entry.

It is also unfortunate that people in positions of privilege are judged for their apparent results by persons who, if in the same position, likely couldn't manage as well under the circumstances. But results are as results are. If you get them, lesser people can bitch all they want and you just point to your results. If you don't get them, where do you point?

Last edited by monochrome; 04-07-2012 at 07:59 AM.
04-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
He has to make a list? Really?
Our concerns:

1. Why is there both a gold band and a green band on some lenses? Doesn't that clash?

2. Why doesn't Pentax remove the WR from the lenses that have it? It'll serve our purposes better, just think how much lighter those lenses will be! We should pay more for the lighter lenses, too, it's only fair.

3. Why doesn't Pentax start putting 4/3 sensors in their cameras? APS-C is really too big for us.

4. Why was the last price increase so small? We would really feel more pro if we were paying MORE than Canon and Nikon for their 'pro' level lenses. Think how stupid the Canon/Nikon pros would feel if their lenses cost half as much as Pentax's! They'd think that bad SDM and slower/APS-C lenses were the wave of the future and would come to Pentax in droves.
04-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Only 4 concerns on the list ... ?!

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Our concerns:

1. Why is there both a gold band and a green band on some lenses? Doesn't that clash?

2. Why doesn't Pentax remove the WR from the lenses that have it? It'll serve our purposes better, just think how much lighter those lenses will be! We should pay more for the lighter lenses, too, it's only fair.

3. Why doesn't Pentax start putting 4/3 sensors in their cameras? APS-C is really too big for us.

4. Why was the last price increase so small? We would really feel more pro if we were paying MORE than Canon and Nikon for their 'pro' level lenses. Think how stupid the Canon/Nikon pros would feel if their lenses cost half as much as Pentax's! They'd think that bad SDM and slower/APS-C lenses were the wave of the future and would come to Pentax in droves.
Ouch ... J
04-07-2012, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Has Ned got it backwards ... or maybe sideways

Bonjour,

"I had met with Adorama two weeks ago, but their gesture is symbolic of how important a relationship between manufacturer and retailer is. Equally important are the relationships we have with our users. ..." Ned

No, I would disagree ... The most important relationship is with your users. The "client is king" as the old saying goes ... not your retail distributors.

Without users, there's no need for retailers ... what ever happened to the idea of "supply and demand" ... if the demand is present, and hopefully growing in a positive direction, then the supply will follow. Any manufacturer will happily make more items for sale to its users and retailers will line up to get their piece of the pie in the distribution chain to those "demanding" users. Yes, we are demanding, that's true.

So, what was said? Users' relationships = retailer relationships ...?! Nope, ain't going to buy it, so to speak ... the cart before the horse ... or maybe side by side.

Go ahead Pentax, kick hard your user/customer base in the teeth ... that's a good way to create future positive demand for your products ... especially since you are such a heavyweight in your industry, kind of sad, isn't it?

Salut, John le "Grumpy Green" Grenouille

PS - Nice gesture from Adorama ...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-07-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Closed Thread