Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
And is there a single Pentax distributor for the EU? No, there is not. But there IS a single distributor for the entire US.
I Imagine the European distributors actually work pretty closely with one another as they are part of a common market
In fact they share a common internet portal (pentax.eu) and likely the different distribution centers are arms of a central division. In fact if you look at the different web pages they are identical aside from language

that being said given the higher value of the currency against the yen, the more population dense market and lower distribution cost due to smaller distance theoretically European prices should be lower than the US, instead they have been significantly higher
the UK is a good example despite twice the population of California crammed into about 1/3 the space with a currency that has higher value against the yen prices have historically been 30-40% more.
Size - 94,526 sq miles
Population - 62,218,761

California
Size - 163,696 sq miles
Population - 37,691,912

I

04-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Ah, but that is 4 and then there are the 36 others that are larger than Belgium as originally stated by the OP.
If you go a long way to interpret the somewhat fuzzy phrase "larger than Belgium or Germany" to the advantage of the OP, yes...
04-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #123
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Being from Texas...we are taught in school at an early age that Texas is bigger than all of Europe.......in fact, about as big as China. Now I'm not sure if I believe that, but I do believe that in this big State of Texas that takes a full day to drive across from any direction, if you start out looking for a Retailer that has Pentax gear in stock, you will spend more on gas looking than the cost of a full set of Ltds....even at the new prices.
If you set out looking or Nikon or Canon....even Sony......15 minutes will do it. So now I am paying more to order on the internet.....but getting nothing more for my money....they call this a good thing? Maybe in Europe...but in America, they call this a plan for bankruptcy.
Regards!
04-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Being from Texas...we are taught in school at an early age that Texas is bigger than all of Europe.......in fact, about as big as China. Now I'm not sure if I believe that, but I do believe that in this big State of Texas that takes a full day to drive across from any direction, if you start out looking for a Retailer that has Pentax gear in stock, you will spend more on gas looking than the cost of a full set of Ltds....even at the new prices.
Not if you drive an European car

(edit: Just rented a brand new Mercedes in Germany some days ago, and it used so little diesel that I almost forgot to refill it before giving it back. It even halted the engine at every little stop to save fuel )

04-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I Imagine the European distributors actually work pretty closely with one another as they are part of a common market
In fact they share a common internet portal (pentax.eu) and likely the different distribution centers are arms of a central division. In fact if you look at the different web pages they are identical aside from language

that being said given the higher value of the currency against the yen, the more population dense market and lower distribution cost due to smaller distance theoretically European prices should be lower than the US, instead they have been significantly higher
the UK is a good example despite twice the population of California crammed into about 1/3 the space with a currency that has higher value against the yen prices have historically been 30-40% more.
Size - 94,526 sq miles
Population - 62,218,761

California
Size - 163,696 sq miles
Population - 37,691,912

I
I believe that Pentax UK has their own site, so the EU is not as unified as some here have suggested with regards to distribution of Pentax, at least.
04-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If you go a long way to interpret the somewhat fuzzy phrase "larger than Belgium or Germany" to the advantage of the OP, yes...
The interpretation is far from tortured. The OP was incredibly clear in his use of English to say either of them, not both.
04-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #127
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I like some of those little European cars....and they do get great mileage. However, when you have to drive great distances as we do here, the Interstates are a scary place to be in a tiny car. When those 18 wheelers pass you doing 80mph on the long flat desert stretches of W Texas, keeping your little car out of the ditch becomes your number one concern!
Regards!

04-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #128
Veteran Member

If you set out looking or Nikon or Canon....even Sony......15 minutes will do it. So now I am paying more to order on the internet.....but getting nothing more for my money....they call this a good thing? Maybe in Europe...but in America, they call this a plan for bankruptcy.
Regards!
Perhaps Rupert they are negotiating with the same dealers as canikon and Sony to get into B&M in Texas. This may be part of doing that. If you wer shooting Nikon you would pay about the same locally or via the web. Up until now that wouldn't be viable for a B&M dealer. Add the lack of dealer incentive Hoya had for carrying the line and the lack of stores in Texas is no surprise. Like any other major Business plan there will be a lot still to come and we know nothing of the plan. We can only speculate and gripe (which is what internet forums are all about anyway )
As for paying vastly more, yep you are, but now you are paying about the same as the rest of us so understandably we aren't overly sympathetic
As a matter of fact you are still cheaper by miles on the FA LTD at BH copmpared to our big dealer henrys
BH - you will pay shipping and no tax
FA31- 985
FA43 - 569
FA77 - 785

Aden camera (our cheapest dealer who has crap policies but good prices) Add 13% to these prices as i will pay tax no matter where it comes from
FA31- 1199
FA43 - 759
FA77 - 995

I will get a 2 year warranty versus your 1 year but it will cost me $614 more plus the 13% tax or a total of $3337 versus a total of less than 2400 including shipping for you. If I bought at our big dealer with good return policies like BH then I would pay another $450 or so

I can however buy the DA* zooms for slightly less right now

being a prime guy though that means little to me
04-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #129
Veteran Member

I believe that Pentax UK has their own site, so the EU is not as unified as some here have suggested with regards to distribution of Pentax, at least.
go to Pentax.eu. the UK site is part of the main site. The local arms will be driven by language issues and historical distribution and service but It looks like the eu probably has a main oversight (Falk could confirm though since he deals with them. certainly they work together to maintain the market)
04-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #130
Veteran Member

I like some of those little European cars....and they do get great mileage. However, when you have to drive great distances as we do here, the Interstates are a scary place to be in a tiny car. When those 18 wheelers pass you doing 80mph on the long flat desert stretches of W Texas, keeping your little car out of the ditch becomes your number one concern!
Regards!
Bah, the big A series highways in Europe are far faster than your Texas backcountry dirt roads :
I've driven a Smart car on those highways being passed by 18 wheelers while i did 130 km/hr (70mph in American )
no issue.
A smart wouldn't be my first choice though too small for many things better as a city car for a couple. but a VW Jetta diesel is more than capable of good mileage and stability beside big trucks and in high winds
04-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #131
Veteran Member

(edit: Just rented a brand new Mercedes in Germany some days ago, and it used so little diesel that I almost forgot to refill it before giving it back. It even halted the engine at every little stop to save fuel )
exactly. though over here the selection of Mercedes diesels is severely limited . I think there is finally 1 c series here. previously it was the E and a couple of SUVs. The A still doesn't exist here and the B is not available in Diesel - when i bought my C if a diesel had been available i would have bought it even though it likely would have meant a big premium as i got a 1 year old c with only 11000 KM for less $15 K less than new
They even dropped the Smart diesel for a gas version
VW imports all their models in at least 1 diesel option though

Maybe as Gas prices rise we will finally see better assortments of good diesels on the market (most makes you have we don't even see here)
04-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #132

Just got a Toyota Verso-S (slightly smaller, but very similar (in looks), to a Prius), and that is a true fuel miser, even though it is a gas-powered car, not diesel. Actually drinks less than out last car, a Yaris! Amazing, and yet much bigger!

Volkswagen's utmost fuel-miser, weighs two tons, and bit more! Very costly, but big, really big! Triple turbos, hybrid powered, and fast! A Rolls is cheaper, I'd say ...

Back to cameras: Is there a FF coming?!
04-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
Just got a Toyota Verso-S (slightly smaller, but very similar (in looks), to a Prius), and that is a true fuel miser, even though it is a gas-powered car, not diesel. Actually drinks less than out last car, a Yaris! Amazing, and yet much bigger!

Volkswagen's utmost fuel-miser, weighs two tons, and bit more! Very costly, but big, really big! Triple turbos, hybrid powered, and fast! A Rolls is cheaper, I'd say ...

Back to cameras: Is there a FF coming?!
hahaha, it took 9 pages for a FF reference,this must be a record,usually it is in the first 3
04-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #134
Banned

My guess is this was Ned's plan all along. String them along long enough and someone will change the subject to FF cameras, cars, dogs, women - they'll forget in time.....
04-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #135
Pentaxian

The "F" word ...

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
hahaha, it took 9 pages for a FF reference,this must be a record,usually it is in the first 3
F--- F-----, the "FF" bomb has been dropped!
Closed Thread