Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #196
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Bad idea... I've seen this strategem attempted on PC enthusiast forums, and once your cover is blown (and it will be, eventually) not only are you a pariah, but your employer suffers during the backlash.
I sometimes worry that I will be discovered as a Squirrel Enthusiast, but so far I've managed to remain viewed as just a "normal guy".
Rupert

04-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

"Pissed" ... maybe, getting closer and closer to that stage.

"Frustrated" ... definitely, because "crap" like this just gets old ... best to keep one's hands off the keyboard as opposed to stirring up a possible sh*t storm by writing promises that cannot (or will not) be honored = super backfire PR ... like we wouldn't notice, didn't care or couldn't count the days.

It was written ... "hopefully early next week" - well, that's come and gone ... Maybe "hopefully in two weeks" ... or maybe "hopefully in three weeks" ... or maybe "hopefully in four weeks" ... or maybe "hopefully in five weeks" ... or maybe "hopefully in six weeks" ... or maybe "hopefully in seven weeks" ... or maybe "hopefully in n + x weeks", etc.

Allez et bon courage, John le "Grumpy" Frog

I wouldn't hold your breath. :P
04-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Gasp ... inhale again

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I wouldn't hold your breath. :P
Bonjour zosxavius,

Trust me, I'm not ...

A+, J
04-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I sometimes worry that I will be discovered as a Squirrel Enthusiast, but so far I've managed to remain viewed as just a "normal guy".
Rupert
I don't think anyone here thinks you are a "normal guy", Rupert!

Thank God for eccentrics, and people who know how important it is to have fun.

04-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I general I have been politely critical of Ned Bunnell and John Carlson and their management of Pentax USA since 2009. I believe they raced to the bottom with the BigBox strategy, allowing unreasonable price competition and basically outsourcing virtually all the business functions of the company, including public and customer relations.

I also made some posts several pages back (and on other threads) opining that the President of a division of a public company shouldn't have a public blog at all, and absolutely shouldn't publicly blog about the company or policies. I suggested the President's position is a priviledge and the role is to manage managers, such that a professional press relations officer - not the President of the company - should be managing the public discussion of this business model change.

With the priviledge and the responsibility there is a cost - the loss of some otherwise assumed freedoms, such as the freedom to have a personal blog, because the risk of such is greater for the company than any potential benefit.

I was pretty roundly criticized for these opinions by posters who think Ned is a great photographer and a really nice guy - and why shouldn't he blog?

In about 6 hours I am going to rest my case.
04-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I general I have been politely critical of Ned Bunnell and John Carlson and their management of Pentax USA since 2009. I believe they raced to the bottom with the BigBox strategy, allowing unreasonable price competition and basically outsourcing virtually all the business functions of the company, including public and customer relations.

I also made some posts several pages back (and on other threads) opining that the President of a division of a public company shouldn't have a public blog at all, and absolutely shouldn't publicly blog about the company or policies. I suggested the President's position is a priviledge and the role is to manage managers, such that a professional press relations officer - not the President of the company - should be managing the public discussion of this business model change.

With the priviledge and the responsibility there is a cost - the loss of some otherwise assumed freedoms, such as the freedom to have a personal blog, because the risk of such is greater for the company than any potential benefit.

I was pretty roundly criticized for these opinions by posters who think Ned is a great photographer and a really nice guy - and why shouldn't he blog?

You and I have disagreed before but on those points I was, and am, in complete agreement with you. I also expect when someone in a position of authority says they will do something that they ought to do what they promised. Frankly, he should not have brought up the subject of the price increases in his blog (shouldn't have one as you said but he does and did) but since he raised the issue and then spontaneously offered that he would comment on it I believe that he should keep his word. I'm old fashioned that way.
04-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You and I have disagreed before but on those points I was, and am, in complete agreement with you. I also expect when someone in a position of authority says they will do something that they ought to do what they promised. Frankly, he should not have brought up the subject of the price increases in his blog (shouldn't have one as you said but he does and did) but since he raised the issue and then spontaneously offered that he would comment on it I believe that he should keep his word. I'm old fashioned that way.
Agreed, he should have kept his mouth shut until he posted a response, but reality is this should not be something he does in a blog, it should be a response from a Pentax PR person. The fact that he still hasn't posted a week later means he is now hurting the company image. OTOH it's possible after he posted that he got smacked down by someone higher up the food chain in Japan and there will never be a post
EDIT ; or option 3 they are still translating it into bureaucratic pr baffle gab to ensure it says absolutely nothing

04-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #203
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Agreed, he should have kept his mouth shut until he posted a response, but reality is this should not be something he does in a blog, it should be a response from a Pentax PR person. The fact that he still hasn't posted a week later means he is now hurting the company image. OTOH it's possible after he posted that he got smacked down by someone higher up the food chain in Japan and there will never be a post
EDIT ; or option 3 they are still translating it into bureaucratic pr baffle gab to ensure it says absolutely nothing
Hysterical Also known as dazzle them with b.s. and slip through a door.
04-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
:Hysterical: Also known as dazzle them with b.s. and slip through a door.
the tried and true snake oil sales method. if it worked for great grand pappy it works for me
04-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #205
Pentaxian

What the French might say ...

:Hysterical: Also known as dazzle them with b.s. and slip through a door.
Bonjour tout le monde,

An appropriate French saying would be "noyer le poisson" ... pouring it on in order to "drown the fish"!

Allez et courage, J Frog ... who can swim, too!
04-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #206
Pentaxian

"No need" for the buzzer to sound ... or maybe "no Ned" ...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Game over and the case is already closed ... maybe Lecia needs a full-timer ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-13-2012 at 10:12 AM.
04-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Oh come on, I thought saying nothing was a job requirement for any corporate type worth their salary.
04-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. That's just embarrassing if you ask me. Well, shows you all how much Pentax Japan cares about its US division. Time to clean house and put things back in order.
04-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #209
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Game over and the case is already closed ... maybe Lecia needs a full-timer ...
Maybe Ned got another one of those special packages. Only this one was one from Japan with one of those special daggers.

04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #210
Veteran Member

Maybe Ned got another one of those special packages. Only this one was one from Japan with one of those special daggers.

Nah, just reassigned to a different Pentax Region. He's now Pentax Executive in Charge of Regional Development for Belize or some such.......
Closed Thread