Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I really can't comment on Canada in comparison. I am sure folks that live in NY will tell things are fine and possibly parts of Los Angeles. Perhaps you are in Canada's Pentax mecca. Maybe that is the problem, the folks in Tokyo don't realize the difference in the market sizes based on population. New York state has a population of over 19 million. Yet, Pentax Imaging is based in Denver, Colorado (previously in Golden). That 1779 miles or 2863 K.m. one way. If they had similar distribution to Seattle area, California, Atlanta, Texas etc., it would make sense.
Camera shops across Canada carry Pentax. I'm sure you've heard this from people other than me. Will you not consider that Pentax USA is just not doing a good job of marketing? That's the obvious answer.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-16-2012 at 04:52 AM.
04-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Two largest retailers?

The world is actually a sphere, not an arcular segment.
True, still this thread is about Ned which means Pentax USA , which means USA and not worldwide. In the USA B&H and Adorama are two of the largest dealers. Amazon just might be larger and it does look to be lowering prices some. So for B&H and Adorama to compete TN the USA market they will be forced to lower prices. Those two retailers have just got back from an extended vacation so the market forces will start to loer prices in the USA. Ned or someone in Pentax USA has to talk with their major retailers to let them know what is going on and what the future holds for them. Now it would be nice for Ned to let us customers know a little, especially since he claim he will in his blog.
04-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #288
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Camera shops across Canada carry Pentax. I'm sure you've heard this from people other than me. Will you not consider that Pentax USA is just not doing a good job of marketing? That's the obvious answer.
Given the access where you live (pretty small population) It's pretty obvious that Pentax Canada is doing a better job.
Pentax US is in a little different situation as they have the stupid cross border tax avoidance issue hurting B&M retailers. That's why the Pricing policy makes some sense to me. It means B&M could be opened up again. OTOH I think many areas just have no B&M after years of this. It was bad enough pre internet when you had to shop a catalogue and deal on the phone, but the web store concept really destroyed it. Nikon already has a pricing policy that protects their B&M guys, so does Sony apparently. Pentax seems to be finally making some moves to expand the dealer network and have local service available. It's painful for the US buyers who have been spoiled with the lowest prices in the world, but i imagine it will equalize (and when local guys start carrying and supporting the brand their will be less reason to complain. Many will say the price move should have been the last thing to happen, but if I was a dealer before I would even consider picking up a small share brand I'd want to see the supports in place
04-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #289
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Ned or someone in Pentax USA has to talk with their major retailers to let them know what is going on and what the future holds for them.
So send an E mail to B&H and Adorama's Customer Service. Let them know you think their price increase sucks and you will no longer buy Pentax Lenses from them. Let them know that Amazon is now cheaper if you want.

It doesn't matter what their response is. The purpose is to get enough e mails letting them know how you feel about the price increases that they feel compelled to let Ned or whoever know there is a significant problem.

Ned and Richo probably don't care one hoot about this forum or what people here say, and Ned either can't or wont talk to the customers, but he has no choice to talk to the retailers.

Flood their in boxes with concerns about the price increases and maybe that will get their attention.

04-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Given the access where you live (pretty small population) It's pretty obvious that Pentax Canada is doing a better job.
Pentax US is in a little different situation as they have the stupid cross border tax avoidance issue hurting B&M retailers. That's why the Pricing policy makes some sense to me. It means B&M could be opened up again. OTOH I think many areas just have no B&M after years of this. It was bad enough pre internet when you had to shop a catalogue and deal on the phone, but the web store concept really destroyed it. Nikon already has a pricing policy that protects their B&M guys, so does Sony apparently. Pentax seems to be finally making some moves to expand the dealer network and have local service available. It's painful for the US buyers who have been spoiled with the lowest prices in the world, but i imagine it will equalize (and when local guys start carrying and supporting the brand their will be less reason to complain. Many will say the price move should have been the last thing to happen, but if I was a dealer before I would even consider picking up a small share brand I'd want to see the supports in place
I believe Pentax USA has a very large mininium annual sales amount for a retailer. This mininium was too large for my local b&m store to continue selling Pentax as their third brand.

Dave
04-16-2012, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
So send an E mail to B&H and Adorama's Customer Service. Let them know you think their price increase sucks and you will no longer buy Pentax Lenses from them. Let them know that Amazon is now cheaper if you want.

It doesn't matter what their response is. The purpose is to get enough e mails letting them know how you feel about the price increases that they feel compelled to let Ned or whoever know there is a significant problem.

Ned and Richo probably don't care one hoot about this forum or what people here say, and Ned either can't or wont talk to the customers, but he has no choice to talk to the retailers.

Flood their in boxes with concerns about the price increases and maybe that will get their attention.
I removed a DA 40 Limited from my cart when the price increased.
04-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #292
Pentaxian

Good idea ...

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote

My email(s) are on the way ...

04-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I believe Pentax USA has a very large mininium annual sales amount for a retailer. This mininium was too large for my local b&m store to continue selling Pentax as their third brand.

Dave
that was an issue caused by Hoya apparently (they also stopped extending credit) There was mention that this is already changing (a retailer in Florida had mentioned it to a member here post CES)

It did have the benefit of saving a big loss like canikon suffered with Ritz.

At this point for the US it is almost like a new brand entering the market and it will certainly take a good coupe of years to fix the damage of the last few
04-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #294
Banned

Someone must be monitoring their blog, because post are being removed. They must think we are stupid and don't know how to take a Screen shot.
04-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #295
Veteran Member

I agree that Ned should have not talked about this, and should have not promised a response. However, I believe he better forget that now, and follow what the company dictates to him. He better learn a lot about the requirements for his position too!
As much as we may love the idea of having a good photographer and a respected person as the US (or anywhere else) president, I do believe he will be replaced.
This recent talk and promise about price discussion is a sign of not being a real professional. Having such a personality, if you are a university professor is fine. Who doesn't like Tom Winter? But a cool president for a company like Pentax? It doesn't work if you want to be taken serious!
Another thing; how on the earth Pentax can let their president talk about using and loving another brand (be it Leica, or anything) in public at all? The first day he was assigned as Pentax president he should have stopped even mentioning it. Unlike Hoya, I believe Ricoh will “fix” this in one way or another soon.
Don’t take me wrong; I have nothing against Ned peronally. I am talking about what seems to (unfortunately) be the game rules.
04-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Another thing; how on the earth Pentax can let their president talk about using and loving another brand (be it Leica, or anything) in public at all? The first day he was assigned as Pentax president he should have stopped even mentioning it. Unlike Hoya, I believe Ricoh will “fix” this in one way or another soon.
Don’t take me wrong; I have nothing against Ned peronally. I am talking about what seems to (unfortunately) be the game rules.
Actually you have to go some way back to see a leica mention. I went back over a year with no mention. their were a few older iPhone shots (not pushing iPhone but just showcasing a photo he took that he liked) All the other posts were either Pentax related or general industry related. While I remember him talking about leica that was some way back (and pretty dumb of him)

OTOH he should have made the post he promised by now, but as pointed out by someone else perhaps he wanted to talk with BH and Adorama first to clarify the policy, which they may have taken to an extreme (since the prices on amazon have dropped a little)
04-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #297
Site Supporter

Where did I ever say PentaxImaging has done a good job? Any thread. All I said is I can't compare them with Canada. While I have seen some Canadians praise Pentax Canada, I have seen a few slam them over the past few years. What I said was is that some of the onus falls to the home office. They may not be allocating the resources and stock to allow a dramatic improvement. Hell, look how often certain items are sold out at BH and Adorama the past few years. If you go back and think about my previous post, what if Japan is allocating the same number of bodies and lenses to Pentax Canada and PentaxImaging? That is where the populations may come into play if that is the case.
04-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #298
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Two largest retailers?

The world is actually a sphere, not an arcular segment.
Yes, but Ned is the President of PentaxImaging (Pentax USA) which is responsible for Distribution within the 50 states and territories.
04-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #299
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Actually you have to go some way back to see a leica mention. I went back over a year with no mention. their were a few older iPhone shots (not pushing iPhone but just showcasing a photo he took that he liked) All the other posts were either Pentax related or general industry related. While I remember him talking about leica that was some way back (and pretty dumb of him)

OTOH he should have made the post he promised by now, but as pointed out by someone else perhaps he wanted to talk with BH and Adorama first to clarify the policy, which they may have taken to an extreme (since the prices on amazon have dropped a little)
You should be right Eddie as I did not check anything. However, you see, it's difficult to remove/align someones image in mind. I really would love to see Ned's post has been with a green light from Ricoh/Pentax.
04-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #300

Bingo! I still have people tell me they thought Pentax was out of business when I am out shooting with my K5, not just once in awhile either. A pretty blatant example of Pentax having no real recognition came in the form of the cover shot of Pop. Photo this month. There, on the cover, is a K5 covered in mud. You turn to the article that the cover was shot for, and they don't even talk about Pentax, instead they discuss, you guessed it, a Canon. Pentax U.S. should be, at the least, a little frustrated about this, but with the frequency it happens, I am guessing they are more resigned than anything...
Closed Thread