Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK ... what's that number again?!

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Answering machine says to leave a message and he'll try to get back to you sometime early next week.
Bonjour,

Great, so I can leave a message ... Super, I got a lot of steam to release ...

And that bit about getting back to you "sometime early next week" ... that sounds vaguely familiar ... déjà vu ?!

Salut, John Frog

04-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Spread the wealth around.
Uhhmmm - that's exactly what's going to happen. Just like every other year. But I'd rather be on this end of the pipe than the other, if you know what I mean.
04-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #348
Pentaxian

Answering machine says to leave a message and he'll try to get back to you sometime early next week.
Actually it says he'll try to get back to you hopefully early next week.

Hopes die last, don't they?
04-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Hope must already be dead because he doesn't mention it in his answering machine message.

04-17-2012, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #350
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

The key word is 'try'
My ex-wife used it when she meant 'probably won't'

Pete
04-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #351
Veteran Member

I'll try to take out the garbage.
04-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #352
Veteran Member

I'll try not to purchase my first Nikon lens tonight.

04-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #353
Pentaxian

Hope must already be dead because he doesn't mention it in his answering machine message.
You mean you really got to his answering machine and it really says he'll get back to you "early next week"?

I thought you were just joking.
04-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #354
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just received a pentax m 28mm 3.5 in the mail today. Its an amazing piece of glass. Far, far better than the tamron I was using for a 28. I love pentax glass so much. Its the only reason I ever came to this system. I doubt I'm going anywhere soon. Pentax was the leica of slrs if you ask me. I don't think a lot really compares to their old glass. In a way, the abundance of wonderful old glass really hurts pentax more than helps. Canon probably helped sales a lot by switching mounts so late in the game. All that legacy canon glass is now nearly worthless unless you shoot with a nex or some kind of optical adapter crap.
04-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #355
Pentaxian

Aaaand... we have the response!
Lens prices and our channel strategy in the U.S. - Ned's Photo Journal
(Thanks, Ned!)
04-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #356
Veteran Member

Thanks Ned.

QuoteQuote:
Many of you have asked for greater availability of Pentax cameras in stores, where you can touch and test the product. This is absolutely the right approach for us to take and is consistent with Pentax and Ricoh’s goal to grow our businesses in the U.S. market.
We realize the need for Pentax to better monitor prices across our distribution channels will likely result in higher lens costs to you. Therefore, once we’ve established this program, we will consider running lens rebate promotions in the future. We tested this program successfully several years ago and these type of rebates offer a good value to consumers and increased traffic to our dealers.

We realize the need for Pentax to better monitor prices across our distribution channels will likely result in higher lens costs to you. Therefore, once we’ve established this program, we will consider running lens rebate promotions in the future. We tested this program successfully several years ago and these type of rebates offer a good value to consumers and increased traffic to our dealers.

So... prices are higher than Canon and Nikon that are already at B+M stores. They may give us the opportunity to 'save' in the future.
04-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #357
Veteran Member

Curious what the comments will be on that.
04-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #358
Pentaxian

Only one comment from me: at least some prices will have to be adjusted, downwards, by quite a few $$.
Well, I only really care about what's happening in Europe.
04-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #359
Pentaxian

Why not on an official Pentax site ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Aaaand... we have the response!
Lens prices and our channel strategy in the U.S. - Ned's Photo Journal
(Thanks, Ned!)
Bonjour Kunzite,

Thanks for the info. I guess better LATE than never ... still not particularly satisfied by the response.

But, this information coming in from a "back-door" and/or a "side-door" source ... that being through Ned's blog. Why not a direct post (by Ned) on the Pentax US website (?) ... that way all of Pentax's past, current and future users can have the same information access. Lens prices and our channel strategy in the U.S.

Also, why quote someone else who posted this on PF and/or another forum to justify things?!

To quote Ned QUOTING SOMEONE ELSE (maybe a Pentax insider) :

" One user comment I read summarized the situation quite well by saying, I think you are seriously misunderstanding the whole conversation. Pentax has not raised prices. They have required authorized dealers to stick to MSRP [Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price] or some percentage of it (we do not know the exact terms). Pentax is attempting to police their sales channel just as many other manufacturers do. Any additional margin will go to the dealers not Pentax.” "

So does this "summarize the situation" or explain it with great accuracy? I think that Ned could have committed himself by writing this in his own words. They raised prices, period. And how does this user know that the additional margins will go to the dealers ...

And also another possible promise for a "hopefully" better future with via "rebate" program of some sort ... don't hold your breath on this one. I'll believe it when it actually happens ... in one year, in two years, etc. And how much of a rebate, what %'s, etc.

To quote again: " We realize the need for Pentax to better monitor prices across our distribution channels will likely result in higher lens costs to you. Therefore, once we’ve established this program, we will consider running lens rebate promotions in the future. We tested this program successfully several years ago and these type of rebates offer a good value to consumers and increased traffic to our dealers."

To me, rebates prove the basic premise that your products are overpriced and they only way to move them down the distribution channel is to have an occasional or sometimes semi-permanent rebate scheme ... take any automobile dealership sales situation as a possible example. (Please don't challenge me too much here ... I worked this industry in the States and I have discussed the same with a friend who owns a automobile dealership in France.)

To conclude, let me finish on this thought ... Ned wrote, "I hope this helps you better understand our channel strategy in the U.S. and how lens pricing is an integral part of the plan."

No, not really ... but what about the price increases which have been unveiled for the UK ... ? They have a strong B&M network plus Internet sales, YET THEIR PRICES ARE GOING TO INCREASE AS WELL ! Please explain that one ... oh, never mind, I can anticipate the possible response ... Ned = "The UK/Europe is not my responsibility and I do not know the situation there" ...

I'm afraid that the price increases are for everyone eventually, and that it has really does not have a lot to do with a channel strategy in the US. It's a good cover story ... Enough said for the moment ...

Salut, John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-18-2012 at 01:21 AM.
04-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #360
Pentaxian

Well, Ned quoting jatrax (from this very forum) was interesting, and a sign he does watch it.
I'm not sure an official press release would be better suited to address some (very valid) concerns. More likely, a press release about the new UPP would not even mention those concerns at all (how about the K-5n official launch announcement, saying how concerns about sensor stains and tungsten AF are unfounded, being particular to the previous model? )
I agree, the prices practically increased just by introducing this UPP. Pentax will have to seriously adjust them, and I don't think decreasing their already way to small market share (by maintaining high prices) is acceptable. I'm not sure they will be able to do it only with rebates; but with the UPP in place, they will have a tool to do so. In the mean time, indeed, many lenses aren't so desirable.
What I don't agree with - is that "the price increases are for everyone". We're talking about up to 89% price increases, not the "normal" adjustment due to yen-euro/usd exchange rates. Did you saw anything similar in France?
Closed Thread