Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #1

This could be something interesting

What does it mean??? who knows, but it is interesting what day it was patented.

01-12-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It was made before Pentax announced that the development of a medium format digital SLR was no longer a priority for them. This may very well be redundant.
01-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Basically a medium format Pentax they have been working on for a few years but have yet to release a final working version available for public purchase. At the time it was using the same 31.6 megapixel Kodak KAF-31600 medium format CCD as the Hasselblad H3D-31 from what I've read online.

What Ever Happened to the Pentax Digital 645? - Pro SLR / Digital Backs

Perhaps they have a surprise this month or later this year - Hopefully...
01-12-2008, 03:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't bet on that last statement. Pentax pulled the development due to the limited market for a medium format camera. they decided instead to turn their attention to what is more profitable to the company. I think the upcoming merger (at the time) with Hoya and the need for funding had much to do with their decision. Also their customers wanted more Lenses and more pixels on the DSLR market. Pentax has had a rough go for the past few years in the funds department. The ist DSLR did not break the doldrums. Then with the development of the K100D and the K10D started to turn the market in their favor. (maybe the merger with Hoya had a lot to do with it also) The infusion of funds for development, and the big hit with the K models has put Pentax in a good position for new development of the DSLR market. IE the (supposed K20 and K200) I will say this though nothing will be for sure until it is released.
I would however like to see Pentax gain market shares in all markets (DSLR, Medium format, and even large format) But again this won't happen until they realize advertising is their best friend and start a massive campaign, and ramp up their factories for top quality production.

01-12-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw working machines - 645D in Tokio Photo Expo on spring, 2007.
Camera really made shots.
01-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I wouldn't bet on that last statement. Pentax pulled the development due to the limited market for a medium format camera. .

No. They said it's development was frozen for the time being in order to concentrate on a high-end K-mount DSLR (K20D?). It was simply a change of priorities.
In the updated roadmap the new 55mm 645 lens is still there to be released along with the 645D.