Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
I've read a statement somewhere that said that Pentax has a small fanbase but they are probably the most rabid group of photogs. I think it's true.

I think it's true because Pentax shooters have been starving for so long. Any rumor of a new meal get's them fantasizing. We might want a Big Mac of a DSLR. We get a Quarter Pounder. But some complain as if all they've got is a packet of Fancy Ketchup. :ugh:

I think Pentax shooters need an official logo. Or an official mascot.

I really liked from another thread, that UFO with the DA* lenses on it, with PENTAX on the side of the flying saucer. It's really clicks in an odd way.

After all, Pentax IS the official digital camera of the internet.
Maybe for some of us, but I would think people using other brands would disagree.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
New bodies may be exciting, but I'd have to agree that LBA is much more powerful than BBA.
In the end, if a new body has Av, Tv, M, B modes (maybe even TAv and Sv), and it's easier to use than its predecessors, it should do alright. What matters is the human being behind the gizmo - it won't make point-and-shooters take a better shot. I laugh each time I ask people to take shots of my family & I, and they're holding the camera away from them and expecting live-view - well then, perhaps this K200D will be the right thing for them!

Bring on more of the top lenses, I say!
Thanks for mentioning the K200D. With all the rumors and theories bounced around for the K20D, it's the K200D, I believe, that will generate a big chunk of Pentax's earnings and lure people in to the K-mount. Nikon's on top right now partly because of the market they created/found with the D40.

No surprise that Sony released the A200, which is mostly a minor upgrade to the A100, but at a much lower initial price point. The market for the D40 is huge, and gets some users locked in to the mount.

While the K20D will generate most of the buzz, media, and measurebation, the K200D could probably be a much bigger determinant on Pentax's rise in market share.

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
They can announce all they want, its getting the lenses made and sendt to the stores that is the problem. Just look at the 60-250.... Actaully I think it would be better marketing not to have announced it when they did, just to annoy users by making them wait for it forever.
I think that's nothing new with camera companies. Cases like Sony releasing the A200 and announcing shipping only a few days after are rare, I believe. The timing of announcements may also be a part of company strategy to hold off people from buying into a competitor's offerings, even when that company cannot make the product available until some months later, a la Nikon with the D3/D300.

01-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #32
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It is kinda funny that everyone is getting so worked up about the new bodies, but hardly anyone is talking about lenses that might be announced.
Me, I sure hope it's not more f/4 lenses. Fast [f/2.8 or faster] primes and/or zooms please. Imagine a DA* 200mm f/1.8 that's sharp wide open!

Otherwise, i'm w/Buddah... If a leak comes, yippee, I'll be the 1st in line to read it because as I've said other times, I hate waiting for surprises. What I don't have patience for anymore due only due to these last two months here is the snobbery/elitism of the continual "I know what's coming, it's revolutionary, you're going to go nuts, but I can't & won't tell you..." then the speculation that ensues. It wasn't accidental; it's legitimate nothing can be said. But I'm over being teased w/a carrot.

Last edited by m8o; 01-12-2008 at 05:47 PM.
01-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
With all the rumors and theories bounced around for the K20D, it's the K200D, I believe, that will generate a big chunk of Pentax's earnings and lure people in to the K-mount.
K200D should sell in larger volume, because of its cheaper price. But for the same reason, its profit margin is lower. So I am not sure how much profit Pentax would gain from K200D.

K200D will face a tough road ahead though. But D40x and XTi replacements are expected to feature Live View; and A200's specs is very close to the K200D. The success of K200D would depend on the price.
01-13-2008, 06:28 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe the K10D is Pentax big seller and suspect the K20D will be too...

01-13-2008, 06:35 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
K200D should sell in larger volume, because of its cheaper price. But for the same reason, its profit margin is lower. So I am not sure how much profit Pentax would gain from K200D.

K200D will face a tough road ahead though. But D40x and XTi replacements are expected to feature Live View; and A200's specs is very close to the K200D. The success of K200D would depend on the price.
Well, my thinking is that even though margins are definitely lower with the K200D, Pentax can lock people in the mount and will expand the user base. Some of those new users will eventually upgrade to the K20D or whatever the upgrade will be in the future.

As well, by reusing some of the components from the K100D/K10D, Pentax can squeeze out some more margins from this camera, much like what Sony did with the A200 and Nikon with the D40.

I'm sticking with my (and other people's) theory that Nikon jumped to #1 in DSLR sales largely because of the D40/x series.

That said, you're right. It's a long battle up ahead for Pentax. But I'm sure they'll price it just right, much like the K100D before it, though the prospects of Nikon's and Canon's upgrades including live view is quite daunting...
01-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Me, I sure hope it's not more f/4 lenses. Fast [f/2.8 or faster] primes and/or zooms please. Imagine a DA* 200mm f/1.8 that's sharp wide open!

I wouldn't care for a 200f1.8 or 400f2.8, nor 600f4 simply because, like 99% of the people I guess, I would never be able to buy one.

Regarding fast primes, the 55f1.4 is due as is a 35f2 or f1.4 (f1.4 would make it a huge expensive lense but it's still doable). I don't expect to see 24f1.4 or 20f1.4 but f2 lenses would be feasible I guess.

I'd much more prefer Pentax to build a strong baseline of good quality, yet affordable lenses ala 50-135f2.8 (400f5.6 comes to mind or some 100-400 f5.6 zoom, 17-70f4).

This would generate enough money for Pentax to get some very specialized lenses to the market eventually, starting by a 300f2.8.
01-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I dont understand the need to keep getting a new body as it comes out. even if you know the full capabilities of said equipment, it DOES not make you a better photographer for doing so.

I always saw the body being the least of my worries, to me it's whats in front AND behind the body that matter the most....

I got this from the late great Herbert Kepplers (probably) last pop photo article

QuoteQuote:
Adachi, president of canon USA, explains that camera bodies will continue to be replaced, each bettering the model before with the dollar value of the discontinued model sinking.

But lenses? they will retain their value, even rising in price, Adachi predicts. "Perhaps lenses are the main products, and the camera bodies are accssories," he argues.
I completely agree w/ that.

speculation happens everywhere....on any subject ( go to 2 other forums frequently on 2 different subjects, and they do the same thing)
I try not to join in the fray, cause usually, you let your imagination get the best of you and you end up getting disappointed.

01-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote

At this point expectations are so frenzied the new cameras are bound to disappoint.
I've been saying this for months - it happens every time a new camera is about to come out - its gets built up so high by the rumor mill that by the time it gets here, the mass public expects it to cure cancer and when it doesn't all the posters come out and whine about how its missing this feature and that feature, etc... Go back and look at the posts about the K10. Most people now think its a pretty darn good camera, but I think if you look, there were a fair amount of posts complaining how it missed the mark....
01-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #39
Veteran Member

But, but, but...

"its gets built up so high by the rumor mill"

Most of the build-up has come from Chris and Ben, who supposedly have first-hand knowledge of the product.

And, if I recall correctly, both of them used superlatives indicating the new stuff would "blow Canon and Nikon out of the water" (or something similar).

I'm expecting something totally revolutionary.
01-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I'm sticking with my (and other people's) theory that Nikon jumped to #1 in DSLR sales largely because of the D40/x series.
You are absolutely correct, and it's not a theory, it's a fact. D40/D40x account for over 20 to 25% of DSLR market share in Japan; i.e. over half of all Nikon DSLR sales come from D40/D40x. And that's current sales, it was even higher during the first few months of launch.
01-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
"its gets built up so high by the rumor mill"

Most of the build-up has come from Chris and Ben, who supposedly have first-hand knowledge of the product.

I'm expecting something totally revolutionary.
Haha, aint that the truth. "It's going to be ground breaking. Doh, I'm NDA, I cant say any thing about it". Then how about ya stop making threads and talking about? Knowing damn well everybody would have questions.

And I wouldn't hold your breath on it being revolutionary. Just expect another new camera on the market that will have it's good and bad like all of the rest of the new cameras on the market.
01-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
And, if I recall correctly, both of them used superlatives indicating the new stuff would "blow Canon and Nikon out of the water" (or something similar).
Someone said that it'll be a "bomb". And we've heard about exploding batteries.
I'm getting scared... I don't think I'll buy one...
01-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
I dont understand the need to keep getting a new body as it comes out.
I agree with that.

And I also disagree with the fact that certain camera makers discontinue bodies so quickly (Fuji S3 Pro). And then, take away good features of the old body (lack of vertical grip on S5 Pro). I think they discontinued the S3 waaaaaaaaay before they brought on the S5. But that's Fuji. The K10D shouldn't be discontinued for another 2 or so years. I don't get how there can be so many references to the old clinkety clink K1000 by Pentax in their ads, if Pentax is going to be discontinuing the K10D so soon. There will still be K10D shooters around.

The only reason I'm interested in the new Pentax is for the revolutionary features that have been floating around. Such as:

- The ability to change your focus AFTER the shot

This would require a new file format and supposedly, the new camera WILL have a new file format. Having a new file format was one of the first rumors I heard about the new camera. Next, Pentax already has the patent for the technology, according to codiac2600.

So to me, it's like Pentax is reinventing the wheel... if the rumors are true. That's why I'm interested in the new body.
01-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I'm sure this won't happen. I've saw some articles about such technology, but it greatly decreased the resolution in the resulting image. Would you buy a camera with (much) less than 1MP?
01-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #45
Veteran Member

You can probably cross this out in your waiting list. With current technology, it won't be of much use. The main problem is the tiny resolution image you get out of this technology. A 16MP sensor would only produce a 0.6MP resolution image output - so what is it good for apart from some cool web page image like those demo shot in their web site? It will be years before the technology can produce decent size image at an affordable price.
Closed Thread