Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I were a Nikon or Canon user...

I would be laughing my ass off at every unvalidated post on every website out there by over zealous Pentaxians who are posting unfounded specs on the whatever the new camera Pentax is going to introduce. Why? Because it is becoming a joke. It is like everyone is trying to build it up so it can do this, and it can do that, just to say it is better than the D3/D300 or the 40D or the whatever else.

There is a part of me that hopes that it is substandard, just so that 'they' can get their laugh and the over zealous Pentaxians go back to just taking photos and stop making this some sort of childish contest.

I'd like to see Pentax get their name back in the top of the pecking order in the camera world just as much as the next guy, but I would prefer that it be done with some symbolism of class as well.

01-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Becoming a joke?

At this point expectations are so frenzied the new cameras are bound to disappoint.

Just ask Obama.
01-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I would be laughing my ass off at every unvalidated post on every website out there by over zealous Pentaxians who are posting unfounded specs on the whatever the new camera Pentax is going to introduce. Why? Because it is becoming a joke. It is like everyone is trying to build it up so it can do this, and it can do that, just to say it is better than the D3/D300 or the 40D or the whatever else.
There does seem to be a real need in people to speculate wildly about what the new camera will be like, and to pore over every single snippet of information, no matter how unreliable it is.

I mean, I'm mildly curious as to what they're going to pull out of the bag, but I just can't get as worked up about it as many seem to. I hope it's good, since Pentax's continued existence is in my interests, but that's about as far as I go.

As someone very cogently put it, those that know aren't talking, and those talking don't know.

I suppose those that guessed right about some of the features will feel good about how smart they are.

It'll get a lot worse before it gets better though. We're going to find out in a couple of weeks time, and that will kick off another orgy of spec dissection.
01-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #4

The majority of them have not learned to use what they have to the full extent of its capabilities and are now looking for some new piece of equipment to make them a better photographer. Pentax does have to compete in the market, so they do have to offer features that will be on par with what Nikon and Canon have to offer in the same price range, as I have some friends that have dropped Pentax for faster AF and a CMOS sensor.

Hard core Nikon and Canon shooters will not switch to Pentax in any numbers since they have too much invested in equipment, but it would be nice to keep the Pentax shooters we already have. Time will tell what they have to offer, but I got tired of speculation, which is why I don't frequent one of the other forums any longer, since it seemed like a waste of my time to read about cameras that were not even in production and my never be.

Pentax isn't a joke, they are keeping everything under wraps until the 24th and then we will see what they have to offer and how it compares to Canon and Nikon.

Tom

01-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #5

Laughing at...

...what? OK, technology advances and cameras get (better) ? But how about photographers- MUST we rely on technology? IMO certainly not- it is all about light and moment and composition and skill and eye... So every moment I type here I feel sometimes sad when I can not help someone: I should use my knowledge and existing gear for some capture instead of dreaming about some miracles the next body can do for us (face/smile detection :-) - next would be a suggestion what to capture at all?). Anyway I can not feel the difference between brands at all- they are IMO rather minor in photography aspect :-) I personally chose Asahi/Pentax years ago and feel VERY comfortable and satisfied with my choice... BTW some laugh should have be made about formats not brands: we all know that lenses are of... 1:1 aspect ratio (round I mean) and IMO this 16:9 talk is all about WASTING glass (so somehow Olympus 4:3 is using most of lenses nowdays :-) OK, it seems that those sentences got somehow too lengthy and pointless- but the exact point I personally am not laughing at is photography as such: capture with the skill of an artist (regardless of brand and system)
Best and happy shooting, JR
01-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know Pentax isn't a joke, but hte "Specubators" as I have chosen to call them sure are making a mockery out of it all.
01-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There is a part of me that hopes that it is substandard, just so that 'they' can get their laugh and the over zealous Pentaxians go back to just taking photos and stop making this some sort of childish contest.

I'd like to see Pentax get their name back in the top of the pecking order in the camera world just as much as the next guy, but I would prefer that it be done with some symbolism of class as well.
its no different from what they do *LOL* you should have seen the speculation and carry on about the d300. getting a fair bit now about the canon 5d upgrade, and discussions over whether it will called a 7d etc etc. everyones the same

01-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Canon and Nikon users do the same thing, but the particular frenzy over "the next Pentax" really is that Pentax as a company really needs to do something solid now to demonstrate that the K10D wasn't a fluke and that there's a real future to the system. That means people are even more interested than usual in what's coming next.
01-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
its no different from what they do *LOL* you should have seen the speculation and carry on about the d300. getting a fair bit now about the canon 5d upgrade, and discussions over whether it will called a 7d etc etc. everyones the same
That's right, I am a long time Canon user (I still shoot both Pentax & Canon Gear), I have a 5D, 1DmkII and a bag full of L glass. The same thing is happening on several Canon forums I frequent, there are so many rumors being posted about the next 5D it's crazy.
People always want the latest, greatest & love to speculate about what's next no matter the brand.
01-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Canon and Nikon users do the same thing,
???? Sooooo, does it mean I am a freak but it doesnt matter because all the other brand's freaks also are?
01-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
Not Registered

It is called Cognitive Disonance and it is way more powerful than any Pentax announcement. Whatever Pentax throw there will always be somebody finding excuses to bitch about other people's garden.
01-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Why? Because it is becoming a joke.....stop making this some sort of childish contest....I would prefer that it be done with some symbolism of class as well.
It saddens me greatly to see a post like this, especially from a moderator!

I don't see any justification in this type of slamming on the forum users in general during this exciting time for Pentax. Have you checked Nikon forums when they were speculating about D3, D300 and now D90, or Canon forums right now for the 5D replacement? It's exactly the same - i.e. no class according to you.

Do you know what's a joke? It's those infamous bloggers who are allowed to start post here at will just to redirect traffic to his blog site; while spreading untrue information to new comers here. Banned by many sites but allowed to roam free here - now, that's a joke.

I can't see why users like us, having a good time in anticipation of a possible breakthrough camera from Pentax, are being accused of being no class and a joke.
01-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I am just too new to photography to understand what the hype is all about. While I agree that new is good and technology is inevitable, I just don't see a need for all the reckless giddiness. But if this is the normal behavior, so be it.

And my moderator status has nothing to do with me having opinions, so that is a moot and senseless statement.

So I guess I should ask all to excuse me for my naivety, as you were.
01-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Perhaps, then, there's no point in having an entire sub-forum dedicated to rumors?
01-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is kinda funny that everyone is getting so worked up about the new bodies, but hardly anyone is talking about lenses that might be announced. After all, the lenses may be around for quite a few years while the camera body may be out-dated within a year or two. But this fairly common, I guess. I can't tell you how many folks I've seen who go out and buy the very best camera body they can, then put a so-so lens on it because they'd already spent all their money. It ought to be the other way around.
Closed Thread