Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #16

Well, I didn't believe half of the rumours for the K10D, but in the end, they all came true. I couldn't believe I could buy a D200 competitor for half the price, but I was one of first people that did so. Some features dissapointed me (high ISO performance - compared to the K100, the "cleaning" function being a joke, P-TTL), but overall, it performed very well (it still does), and it held up to the rumours.
I certainly hope the next one will too - and also improve on the functions I mentioned before.

01-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I would be laughing my ass off at every unvalidated post on every website out there by over zealous Pentaxians who are posting unfounded specs on the whatever the new camera Pentax is going to introduce. Why? Because it is becoming a joke. It is like everyone is trying to build it up so it can do this, and it can do that, just to say it is better than the D3/D300 or the 40D or the whatever else.

There is a part of me that hopes that it is substandard, just so that 'they' can get their laugh and the over zealous Pentaxians go back to just taking photos and stop making this some sort of childish contest.

I'd like to see Pentax get their name back in the top of the pecking order in the camera world just as much as the next guy, but I would prefer that it be done with some symbolism of class as well.
Wouldn't it be funny if Pentax only sold a very basic camera, crushing everyones dreams, and then released a firmware update enabling all the extra features that it actually has a few days later

Or better yet, just release the basic camera to the magazines for their testing, and the full camera to the general public.
01-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Wouldn't it be funny if Pentax only sold a very basic camera, crushing everyones dreams, and then released a firmware update enabling all the extra features that it actually has a few days later

Or better yet, just release the basic camera to the magazines for their testing, and the full camera to the general public.
Hmmm... let's see.. the original D was rteleased w/ crippled firmware not allowing it to use legacy/manual lenses... The K10 was released w/ wireless crippled and later activated. Not to mention the USM thing, which is sort of a special case. Sooo is that so far fetched?????
01-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It is kinda funny that everyone is getting so worked up about the new bodies, but hardly anyone is talking about lenses that might be announced. After all, the lenses may be around for quite a few years while the camera body may be out-dated within a year or two. But this fairly common, I guess. I can't tell you how many folks I've seen who go out and buy the very best camera body they can, then put a so-so lens on it because they'd already spent all their money. It ought to be the other way around.
The lack of info about new lenses makes me guess higher. I mean they are about to announce a body with different size/format(FF, whatever). If it was not for that I don't see any problem announcing some new DAs for us to play. It is a Marketing error not putting those lenses on the roadmap now. But if my guess is consistent I understand that before announcing that rumored big body it would be a BIG marketing mistake to disclose them in anticipation. My guess is that 9 new SMC lenses will be announced to go with the new body.

01-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #20

Gadget/spec whores. Small ***** complex that they need the latest and greatest products to have some thing to talk about at the local photo meet up. But yet still produce the same results they did with the old gadgets. Its like somebody having a slow car going out to buy a faster car hoping it will make them a faster/better driver. Then they go out and get beat by a kid with a modified honda. I've seen people with "entry level" cameras produce the same results if not better than some of these "pro photog's" and their "pro" equipment. Lara Jade being one of those that comes to mind. I dont care much about fashion photog, but her shots and pp is pretty damn amazing. Pentax should be signing her up. I just wish pentax would produce the glass I'd like to buy. Give making these damn limited/primes a freaking rest and produce some nice fast zooms. Thank god for 3rd party lens, I guess.

I dont think this new camera is going to push pentax sells over the edge. And I know for sure that It's not going to make hella Canon and Nikon users jump ship and put Pentax at the top of the game.

Last edited by Flaco; 01-12-2008 at 11:49 AM.
01-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #21
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
It is a Marketing error not putting those lenses on the roadmap now. But if my guess is consistent I understand that before announcing that rumored big body it would be a BIG marketing mistake to disclose them in anticipation. My guess is that 9 new SMC lenses will be announced to go with the new body.
They can announce all they want, its getting the lenses made and sendt to the stores that is the problem. Just look at the 60-250.... Actaully I think it would be better marketing not to have announced it when they did, just to annoy users by making them wait for it forever.
01-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #22
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
They can announce all they want, its getting the lenses made and sendt to the stores that is the problem. Just look at the 60-250.... Actaully I think it would be better marketing not to have announced it when they did, just to annoy users by making them wait for it forever.
Yes, with Hoya behind maybe it's different from now on.

01-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
and
Veteran Member

Yarr, Im with ye brother, I would like a Nikon D3 myself but I cant afford it, join me in hating everyone who can who is not a real working pro. Blasted rascalls!

If all the amateur p&s shooters had to get the new pentax cause it was so shiny and nice, then pentax sales would skyrocket and as a consequence, the lens lineup would increase and you would get your beloved zoom lenses.

But being against limited primes and wanting zooms doesnt mix with the against-the-masses-of-amateur-sheep attitude.

QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
Gadget/spec whores. Small ***** complex that they need the latest and greatest products to have some thing to talk about at the local photo meet up. But yet still produce the same results they did with the old gadgets. Its like somebody having a slow car going out to buy a faster car hoping it will make them a faster/better driver. Then they go out and get beat by a kid with a modified honda. I've seen people with "entry level" cameras produce the same results if not better than some of these "pro photog's" and their "pro" equipment. Lara Jade being one of those that comes to mind. I dont care much about fashion photog, but her shots and pp is pretty damn amazing. Pentax should be signing her up. I just wish pentax would produce the glass I'd like to buy. Give making these damn limited/primes a freaking rest and produce some nice fast zooms. Thank god for 3rd party lens, I guess.

I dont think this new camera is going to push pentax sells over the edge. And I know for sure that It's not going to make hella Canon and Nikon users jump ship and put Pentax at the top of the game.
01-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #24

I've read a statement somewhere that said that Pentax has a small fanbase but they are probably the most rabid group of photogs. I think it's true.

I think it's true because Pentax shooters have been starving for so long. Any rumor of a new meal get's them fantasizing. We might want a Big Mac of a DSLR. We get a Quarter Pounder. But some complain as if all they've got is a packet of Fancy Ketchup. :ugh:

I think Pentax shooters need an official logo. Or an official mascot.

I really liked from another thread, that UFO with the DA* lenses on it, with PENTAX on the side of the flying saucer. It's really clicks in an odd way.

After all, Pentax IS the official digital camera of the internet.
01-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New bodies may be exciting, but I'd have to agree that LBA is much more powerful than BBA.
In the end, if a new body has Av, Tv, M, B modes (maybe even TAv and Sv), and it's easier to use than its predecessors, it should do alright. What matters is the human being behind the gizmo - it won't make point-and-shooters take a better shot. I laugh each time I ask people to take shots of my family & I, and they're holding the camera away from them and expecting live-view - well then, perhaps this K200D will be the right thing for them!

Bring on more of the top lenses, I say!
01-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I know Pentax isn't a joke, but hte "Specubators" as I have chosen to call them sure are making a mockery out of it all.
Come Buddha lighten up. This is a fun hobby for most of us and the speculation is part of it. Even the crazy 16:9 format rumor was fun. I even tried to believe it for a little while. Most of us, by nature, are cheap and/or have a major Bonaparte complex. How else can you explain us buying into the Pentax system?

We all want to knock off the big 2 for various reasons. Regardless of what the new bodies are there will be choruses of cheers and whines. So let's hear some more rumors, true or not. As a matter of fact I'd like to see a new thread with everybody posting what they think the new bodies will be and then have a winner for the person that comes the closest.

Regards,

ken
01-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
My guess is that 9 new SMC lenses will be announced to go with the new body.
I hope they are coming out with some new ones and preferably some telephoto lenses. That's my biggest complaint about Pentax is the lack of new lenses and that is why I am considering switching over to Canon.
01-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by harv3589 Quote
I hope they are coming out with some new ones and preferably some telephoto lenses. That's my biggest complaint about Pentax is the lack of new lenses and that is why I am considering switching over to Canon.
I'm rather confident this will change in near future. So, I think you need to move fast if you want to switch because of lack of Pentax lenses

Tim Typo
01-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Yarr, Im with ye brother, I would like a Nikon D3 myself but I cant afford it, join me in hating everyone who can who is not a real working pro. Blasted rascalls!

If all the amateur p&s shooters had to get the new pentax cause it was so shiny and nice, then pentax sales would skyrocket and as a consequence, the lens lineup would increase and you would get your beloved zoom lenses.

But being against limited primes and wanting zooms doesnt mix with the against-the-masses-of-amateur-sheep attitude.
I dont hate anybody for being able to afford a pro camera and not being a pro. Im simply stating that everybody goes ape shit over this next best thing for what? It seems most want this new body for pentax just to compete with canon or Nikon's lineup.

Im not against "the-masses-of-amateur-sheep" as you call it. Im no pro, and no where near being one. I do agree with buddha how people react and over hype things. No matter what camera company.
01-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flaco Quote
I dont hate anybody for being able to afford a pro camera and not being a pro. Im simply stating that everybody goes ape shit over this next best thing for what? It seems most want this new body for pentax just to compete with canon or Nikon's lineup.

Im not against "the-masses-of-amateur-sheep" as you call it. Im no pro, and no where near being one. I do agree with buddha how people react and over hype things. No matter what camera company.
Or car company, or truck company, or HD TV ...
Closed Thread