Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #76
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Yes, but they didn't match A700 & D300 3" 900,000 pixel LCD? wow. Maybe it wouldn't fit. I wonder if the pixel resolution will match?

Nikon and Canon owners should be worrying as long as Pentax can completely eliminate the vertical banding and color noise on those ISO 6400 shots as seen in the other thread. If Nikon can release the D300 having made a point of eliminating those shortcomings, obviously so can Pentax.

As you say, we ain't seen nothing yet, so of course Pentax won't introduce the K20D with these issues. Right?

Where in this world the D300 has a 900k pixel lcd? Never heard of it!!

01-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Where in this world the D300 has a 900k pixel lcd? Never heard of it!!
Nikon D300 Hands-On Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

check the model history....it lists the pixel count on the LCD monitor. D300 is 3.0" at 922k pixels.
01-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #78
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
Nikon D300 Hands-On Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

check the model history....it lists the pixel count on the LCD monitor. D300 is 3.0" at 922k pixels.

Have look here:

Has anyone else noticed...: Nikon D3/D2/D1 Forum: Digital Photography Review

Quotte "Has anyone else noticed that Nikon and Sony are now advertising red, green, and blue subpixels as full pixels? So in their new cameras, they are reporting the LCDs as having 3 times as much resolution?

I really wish Phil and co would take the liberty of fixing up the numbers so people visiting this site get a fair comparison. For example, look in the "Model line history" and notice the LCD progression. That 922K pixels should be 307K pixels.
Nikon D300 Hands-On Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review " unquote

Is Pentax right when reporting LCD resolution or are they cheating too, like the others?

Last edited by Busiko; 01-15-2008 at 10:15 AM.
01-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #79
Veteran Member

I really wish Phil and co would take the liberty of fixing up the numbers so people visiting this site get a fair comparison. For example, look in the "Model line history" and notice the LCD progression. That 922K pixels should be 307K pixels.
Exactly, it's only VGA resolution guys!
Yes, that's right, 640x480. So now, the VGA LCD mon suddenly have a spec of 640*3x480=1920x480 instead of 640x480?

Last edited by nosnoop; 01-15-2008 at 11:14 AM.
01-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Have look here:

Has anyone else noticed...: Nikon D3/D2/D1 Forum: Digital Photography Review

Quotte "Has anyone else noticed that Nikon and Sony are now advertising red, green, and blue subpixels as full pixels? So in their new cameras, they are reporting the LCDs as having 3 times as much resolution?

Nikon D300 Hands-On Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review " unquote

Is Pentax right when reporting LCD resolution or are they cheating too, like the others?
No one is cheating. The "old" K10D LCD is listed as 210k pixels. Following the same reasoning, it should say 76k instead.

They have always used the same formula for small LCDs, always countinting sub-pixels. It's just the number that seems big. Like that Japanese 33 megapixel TV, in reality it's just double the pixels of a 6mp image. People don't understand that this numbers grow exponentially, guess this convention was chosen on purpose ("wow 33 megapixels!").
01-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
No one is cheating. The "old" K10D LCD is listed as 210k pixels. Following the same reasoning, it should say 76k instead.

They have always used the same formula for small LCDs, always countinting sub-pixels. It's just the number that seems big. Like that Japanese 33 megapixel TV, in reality it's just double the pixels of a 6mp image. People don't understand that this numbers grow exponentially, guess this convention was chosen on purpose ("wow 33 megapixels!").
This is the kind of "convention" which stinks badly IMO, whatever the brand...
01-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #82
Veteran Member

They should just list the resolution (320x240 or 640x480). You'd say that's something that needs regulation for the manufactureres, but in the end no one is going to choose by the spec, but by looking at the screen - then you can see the differences by yourself.

I was hoping a camera would come out using the same screen as the Epson "P" viewers, with 4 color subpixels, heard it looks amazing.

01-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #83
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Don't break the NDA, but did you see the K20D ISO 6400 shots in the other thread? As these photos have been released, I was just pointing out the visible VPN & color noise (and I wasn't the first).

I just wasn't sure whether its within firmware to fix.
Go back and read the end of that thread.

It will shed quite a bit of light on the subject. The images in that thread came from a K100D.

If one wants the serial number and registered owner of the specific camera the images were taken with they can be located.

Last edited by WendyB; 01-15-2008 at 07:54 PM.
01-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Go back and read the end of that thread.
It will shed quite a bit of light on the subject. The images in that thread came from a K100D.
If one wants the serial number and registered owner of the specific camera the images were taken with they can be located.
I'd be willing to believe you had you stopped with saying that fingerprinting had identified them as being from a K100D (or perhaps from any other camera using that same sensor).

And it's true that comparing noise patterns can be used to provide a fingerprint match between an image and the specific camera it came from -- although the technology is in its infancy.

But your last statement loses me. There's no way Pentax keeps a database of said fingerprint for every camera they make. Oh, I'm sure the FBI, CIA, and NSA would like them too, but it's just not something camera companies are in the business of doing at this point. If they were, we'd hear about it from privacy whistleblowers, not from some rumor forum post.

Plus, the research on this comes from Binghamton University, not MIT as you say in the other thread. Claiming something high-tech comes from MIT is a pretty typical "urban legend" fingerprint -- an attempt to lend credence.

The images could be a hoax, but to my judgment they seem more credible than your statements.

I note from your profile that you're a Pentax amateur photographer, and you've said elsewhere that you're a journalist. Charitably, your sources at Pentax fed you the above line and you took it at face value. They may indeed know that the images are from a K100D, but if so they know that in some other way.

Alternately, you're just makin' stuff up.
01-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I note from your profile that you're a Pentax amateur photographer, and you've said elsewhere that you're a journalist. Charitably, your sources at Pentax fed you the above line and you took it at face value.
Do note that Wendy is also one of the K** *D (in her words) tester. So she should have a very good idea of what K** *D images should look like. And you last statement may not be correct as she can make her own judgment.
01-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Do note that Wendy is also one of the K** *D (in her words) tester. So she should have a very good idea of what K** *D images should look like. And you last statement may not be correct as she can make her own judgment.
Well, again, if she'd just said that she could tell those weren't like the images she's getting from her "K** *D" (or hinted at it in bizarre domestic-chore poetry), okay then. But that's very different from the statements she actually made.

Which, again, if she is actually a beta tester (and several other people with apparently as implausible background also claim to be....), probably just means her contacts are feeding her stories -- either because they know the images are fake and want it out that they are, or because they're real and want them cast in doubt, or -- and hey, Pentax is a big company! -- they don't even really know themselves.

Or, it could be a more pathological version of the people who keep feeling compelled to start new threads with promising titles and dumb so-obvious-they-can't-be-called-hoax images.
01-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #87
Veteran Member

mattdm

Looks like we think alike on this topic. I posted this yesterday in another thread, but WendyB apparently is not inclined to respond. Too busy doing laundry?

Let's hope P didn't add too much "fabric softener" in the "rinse cycle" and such. Too bizarre, huh?

"In order to "match" anything to anything, you have to have TWO samples.

Are you saying that every camera sold has a sample photo stored somewhere along with the corresponding serial numbers and current owner info?

No- you can't possibly believe that. What exactly ARE you saying, then?"

EDIT- Just had a thought. Yes- I did! Would it not be possible for Pentax to tag the prototype cameras they pass out to beta testers so that if photos showed up before they were supposed to they could identify the source? And could they not inform the testers of this fact so that the testers would not risk breaking their NDA? OR, if they couldn't tag the cameras, could they not bluff and pretend they could, so that there would be no leaked photos? Wow- I guess I had more than one thought!

Last edited by Tom Lusk; 01-16-2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Brainwave...
01-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Maybe the images from the K20D are just different. We haven't seen them, she has. She probably doesn't need any software to identify the pictures.

Isn't this thread going to be locked too? It's way out of topic. Or lock the whole Rumours forum :]
01-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Isn't this thread going to be locked too? It's way out of topic. Or lock the whole Rumours forum :]
To be honest, I don't think locking the thread is a good solution to off topic posts. As you said, it would end up locking most of the threads, not only here, but other forum as well. And it is unfair to those people who wish to continue on topic discussion.

A better way is to have a warning; then move the off topic posts to "Everything Else" leaving the on topic posts behind and allowing the discussion to continue.

Oops, just wrote an off topic post
01-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Maybe the images from the K20D are just different. We haven't seen them, she has. She probably doesn't need any software to identify the pictures.
Yeah, and if she'd said that I'd be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. But she specifically says that they're from the K100D and makes claims about special software from MIT.

QuoteQuote:
Discussing the credibility of various rumors seems on-topic to me.
Closed Thread