Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
If they started producing cameras that ran on android they'd hit a home run . A lot of manufacturers really just don't grasp the power of software communities that spring up around open source platforms.
Android isn't open source. If this thing doesn't run Debian it will be a total fail.

04-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
If it won't seamlessly connect to my toaster, I'm gonna be pissed. I need to be able to print directly to bread, damnit.

And don't tell me to wait for a firmware update to have it trigger my coffee maker, either.
Wow, that would be nice. What if it has a predictable algorithm so that it triggers your coffeemaker just in time to have the coffee ready exactly when the commercials on TV start?
04-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Android isn't open source. If this thing doesn't run Debian it will be a total fail.
I want a command line and a C compiler on that thing. It doesn't even need a graphical mode, pictures (and movies, live view) can be seen as ASCII art
04-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Saw it on another blog, people were joyfully thinking that would be the only camera Pentax will ever make...
If it's a wild success, Pentax won't NEED to ever make any other cameras. Watch out!

04-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Internet camera

Maybe they are referring to this:

United States Patent Application: 0070288974
04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Q mount would make sense- it would mean that there was a better reason to have those 'toy' lenses.
people uploading to Facebook aren't bothered about image quality (partly i bet because FB dilutes any sort of sharpness). what they are after is cool effects and photos of boring things made more interesting.

the instagram buying by Facebook would be something they could hope to tap into.
instagram runs on android now doesn't it?
this could be very very good

>>> well lets hope that they manage to finally hit the nail on the head properly with something
04-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Maybe they are referring to this:

United States Patent Application: 0070288974

that lot doesn't make any sense to me...
does that mean basically that they have patented a wifi connecting camera?

this new camera just about to come out by samsung apparently has WLAN connectivity.

http://photorumors.com/2012/04/10/samsung-nx20-shows-up-at-the-fcc/

i think that internet connected cameras will be the next big thing

04-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
Banned

Photos: Albums
Let me first clearly state I'm not a licensed legal professional, but...

In my 200++ college credits; quite the numbers of those are in law; from 501 level classes to 699 ones.

It would be to my understanding of patent law that... One could not have just one patent (or series of) that would cover every variation of a WiFi connecting camera. That would be about the same as patenting charger devices for cameras - in general.
04-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote

In my 200++ college credits; quite the numbers of those are in law; from 501 level classes to 699 ones.

It would be to my understanding of patent law that... One could not have just one patent (or series of) that would cover every variation of a WiFi connecting camera. That would be about the same as patenting charger devices for cameras - in general.
I am sure there must be a patent somewhere for those camera chargers as well!
04-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But with the release frequency of Debian, we would have to wait 3 years after the camera is released to get a stable release for it
04-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: [deleted]
04-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I want a command line and a C compiler on that thing. It doesn't even need a graphical mode, pictures (and movies, live view) can be seen as ASCII art
Hah! I actually had to use the command prompt to resolve a monitor issue just now. Heaven knows how I remembered control, but it worked.
04-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I hope it stays connected to my WiFi better than that damned All-In-One I have. (Hey - reboot the printer, will you please?)
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote

It would like patenting one-click ordering. Oh, never mind.
04-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
And don't tell me to wait for a firmware update to have it trigger my coffee maker, either.
I keep getting Error 418 when I try to get it to start brewing.