Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #31
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I keep getting Error 418 when I try to get it to start brewing.
Did you remember to input the desired brew strength?

04-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
It would like patenting one-click ordering. Oh, never mind.
Or a rectangular touch screen. Oh, wait...
04-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philoslothical Quote
if it won't seamlessly connect to my toaster, i'm gonna be pissed. I need to be able to print directly to bread, damnit.

rofl
04-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

If it comes in a Mark Newson design, will anybody like it? (My bet - K-01 body, more colors.)

04-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If it comes in a Mark Newson design, will anybody like it? (My bet - K-01 body, more colors.)
I really hope they don't get him to design it -__-, also hope they didn't manufacture a lot of K-01s..

I wan't them to just make a MFT camera with the design of the Pentax MX(?) and include a K to M43 adapter in box, That would be good
04-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
I really hope they don't get him to design it -__-, also hope they didn't manufacture a lot of K-01s..

I wan't them to just make a MFT camera with the design of the Pentax MX(?) and include a K to M43 adapter in box, That would be good
They spent the money once - they'll keep using the design they already own.

The K-01 is a fine camera that I like a lot. I'd like it more if it had the K-5 controls instead of the K-r but the body shape is comfortable, its the right size and the IQ is astounding - better than a K-5..
04-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Didn't Pentax back in 2005 already have an internet camera? Read the tagline below:

(It felt stupid at that time and it still feels stupid now...)
04-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Android isn't open source. If this thing doesn't run Debian it will be a total fail.
Well, if there's one great mobile OS that's open source (or will be) it's webOS. Some here may not know it, but it was developed by Palm under the direction of Jon Rubinstein (of iPod fame), then bought by HP and temporarily killed off by Leo Apotheker (ex SAP) during his disastrous less than one year tenure as CEO at HP. Meg Whitman (ex eBay) is now in charge of HP and she has resurrected webOS and put it on a roadmap towards open source.

Well, I'm just dreaming... I'm a webOS fanboy (I admit that) so it would be great to see that OS on a Pentax camera.

OTOH, regardless the OS, I still need to see the first camera App that can provide a good photography experience...

Wim

04-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #39

It is good that they are experimenting with this, but in all honesty, the SD association and its butt-load of partners are working towards bringing internet capable memory cards quite quickly- so putting a huge emphasis on the inter-connectivity on the camera may be misplaced. It still has to be a good camera to be a camera of merit- not just connect to the web.

Here's Toshiba's memory card in action.

"Toshiba Wireless LAN SD card hands-on at CES 2012" - Videos - Viddler
04-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
It is good that they are experimenting with this, but in all honesty, the SD association and its butt-load of partners are working towards bringing internet capable memory cards quite quickly- so putting a huge emphasis on the inter-connectivity on the camera may be misplaced. It still has to be a good camera to be a camera of merit- not just connect to the web.
wifi-capable SD cards is nothing new and not the same thing as a camera with an internet-oriented operating system, since it requires a second device to actually do something with the pictures.
04-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Pentax could go further and use a full operation system such as Android - but I am guessing this would be expensive as you'd need some kind of ARM based processor wouldn't you?
At least x86 and MIPS OK too thanks to Dalvik VM.
Probably any mobile arch can run it.
04-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
But yeah... Entering WiFi passwords on a camera isn't going to be fun, nor is registering at new hotspots and things, so the interface will have top allow some method of point & click + keyboard. You'd think so anyway... Even Starbucks WiFi needs you to click something to get online.
But my phone connects to my data tarrif without me entering anything, and 4g will be faster than most home wi-fi anyway - I suspect it will be done with a SIM card, or Pentax/Ricoh will perhaps negotiate a deal with cloud providers (Starbucks, BT in the UK etc) that mean that it will be able to connect by identifying itself as a Pentax device and without the user having to provide a password.

I think an option using the mobile network is more likely though - wi-fi coverage is very patchy, and non-existent in a lot of places you might take pictures.

Aside from a slight increase in quality, I'm not sure what the proposed product offers over and above a smartphone with a camera though. If I was desperate to be able to update on the fly I could use a mini SD card in an adapter in my K-7, then put the card in my phone and email them to Facebook or Flickr. I find it hard to imagine that anyone is that interested in my life though!

I guess it would be a good tool to give to 'roving reporters' especially if it does HS video.
04-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
But my phone connects to my data tarrif without me entering anything, and 4g will be faster than most home wi-fi anyway - I suspect it will be done with a SIM card, or Pentax/Ricoh will perhaps negotiate a deal with cloud providers (Starbucks, BT in the UK etc) that mean that it will be able to connect by identifying itself as a Pentax device and without the user having to provide a password.

I think an option using the mobile network is more likely though - wi-fi coverage is very patchy, and non-existent in a lot of places you might take pictures.
The Kindle does this but only because Amazon pay for the data usage by adding the cost to the price of the e-books. Pentax can't really monetise anything on a camera, so unless you can get a data plan I highly doubt this could happen.

And I've just thought, didn't Nikon do something very similar, but released a separate module because Wi-Fi has varying protocols or something around the world, and putting them in one body would be very expensive, cumbersome and not practical or something?

It'd be cool to advertise to people going on holiday or something, a small and rugged camera (the Q) with unlimited photo storage space as each shot is uploaded directly to Facebook or something in real time, so your loved ones can see exactly how awesome your holiday is as it progresses.

Or as you say, if it could do streaming...
04-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
Most phones provide wi-fi hotspot functionality these days, so you can always use your 3G/4G connection even if the camera itself only supports wifi.
04-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #45
Veteran Member

In the future, cell providers will be very happy to "pay" for our cameras (which phones will become for the majority) in exchange for data transfer contracts (which will keep falling according to throughput).

Unfortunately, they'll never contribute to LBA.