Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
ACR and C1 Pro are better too.
Not to me. I could never match the colour and detail I get with Pentax raw convertor. I did this set to show my results:
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/RawConversions?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqHn5yU5o7scw#

DCU4 pixel level crop:

CS3 (with ACR updated to CS5)

04-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Not to me. I could never match the colour and detail I get with Pentax raw convertor. I did this set to show my results:
I find it very interesting how different the results can be starting from the same data. Some years ago, I tried to match the output of PDCU with a couple of free RAW converters and I couldn't. The differences at 100% were even stronger than these.

In this comparison with ACR, I think the upper right corner is telling - ACR loses some of the detail along the edge of that petal and it renders the reflection stronger. PDCU maintains more of the texture of that edge.
04-27-2012, 04:04 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/RawConversions?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqHn5yU5o7scw#

DCU4 pixel level crop:

CS3 (with ACR updated to CS5)
Very interesting! It's been some years now (almost 4) since I did a similar test (also flower petals!) with K10D RAW images and Lightroom, Aperture and PPL. I wanted to find out whether to use LR or Aperture. My conclusion was that at least with standard settings, Aperture came quite close to PPL in rendering the details of the petals, while ACR left it completely "mushed out". Now of course I could do better in Lightroom by tweaking RAW settings, so this was in no way a conclusive "scientific" test.
04-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
My conclusion was that at least with standard settings, Aperture came quite close to PPL in rendering the details of the petals, while ACR left it completely "mushed out". Now of course I could do better in Lightroom by tweaking RAW settings, so this was in no way a conclusive "scientific" test.
In theory, one can tweak the raw file have the same detail and colour as the Pentax version, but I was never able to achieve this. I've also heard from others who found the same thing, they could not match Silkypix raw conversion with Adobe.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-27-2012 at 05:25 AM.
04-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #20

In theory, one can tweak the raw file have the same detail and colour as the Pentax version, but I was never able to achieve this. I've also heard from others who found the same thing, they could not match Silkypix raw conversion with Adobe.

Same here...
Everyone praise Lightroom but I could never get correct skin tones with that software.
04-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #21

I really should take a look at the Pentax on camera and included in the box software. Sometimes I feel like removing noise in camera or processing it through the software would produce different results. Better? Maybe. Different? Hopefully.
11-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

A quick note to anyone who was following this thread who is interested in the Pentax Camera Utility Software :

I have added a new article concerning PDCU4, what I call a Mini Guide, for the benefit and interest of newcomers and more experienced photographers alike. If you've been wanting more information or workflow tips on the program, check out the guide in the Articles section of this forum, under the Post Processing / software subheading, or use this quick link :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-articles/206286-pentax-di...ini-guide.html

11-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I just use the Pentax software to scroll through raw files to preview them and look at the exif data bar. In otherwords, I use it as a thumbnail viewer for dng or peg files.
I prefer to use the freeware, portable, small & customisable XnView to preview raw & JPEG, move/copy files around, resize/crop and export to JPEG with different quality settings, showing output filesize and output image previews. It's very fast if you tell it to use the embedded JPEG thumbnail in the raw file rather than do an on-the-fly raw conversion for each raw file in a directory and it has thumbnail caching. I've configured both the thumbnail labels & tooltips to show selected amounts of Exif and general file data, but as you can see, there's a tab down the bottom (above the preview) to switch to fuller Exif. You can also view the full file, bring up file info in Fullscreen or slideshow mode too (I've configured it to show Exif).

Here's a photo of the screen (in this program I couldn't screengrab to include the tooltip):

Exif display config info here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/5761...fo-xnview.html

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 11-29-2012 at 09:14 PM.
12-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are there any changes that are known to affect the K-5?