Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Rebate Frequency and Type for fisheye

I'm somewhat new here, please be gentle.

I'm interested in buying the 10-17 fisheye zoom, but I'm also a student and poor. My research has shown that as recently as Sep 07, there was a nice $100 rebate on the lens, which would put it in my ballpark. However, the rebate has died and the current promotion doesn't cover this lens.

What I'm wondering is how often Pentax lens promotions run and what the likelyhood of seeing this lens on promition again? Are there certain patterns? If I wait, will it go on sale?

I don't want to purchase at full price only to see it go on sale in two weeks.

01-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

It seems like every rebate, there have been fewer and fewer lenses covered. I was fortunately enough to pick up my 10-17mm when it had the rebate, but the price have dropped somewhat to where it's maybe $50-60 more than I paid (after rebate). I have no idea what the next round of rebates will cover, but I wouldn't count on there being a lot of lenses there.

That being said, if you're on a budget, you may want to consider the Zenitar 16mm fisheye... really a nice lens, and is faster than the Pentax. Sharpness is comparable, I'd say, and I think the Zenitar may do better at controlling CAs (but I haven't tested mine side-by-side yet, that's on the to-do list.) The big downside, of course, is that it's not a "true" fisheye on a DSLR, but it's still a fun lens for a bargain price. (Also, it doesn't AF or have an "A" aperture setting.)
01-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Too bad to hear that fewer lenses are getting rebate offers.

I am a point and shoot convert. When I bought into the system this past spring, I thought I would use the two lenses to take the same type of photos I've already been taking, only in higher quality.

Along the way I've discovered that I no longer want to take the same photos I had been shooting before.

If only lenses were cheap.
01-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Manufacturers don't usually announce sales or rebates too far in advance as it can kill sales as people wait.

I got my 10-17 in November 06 for $329 after rebate.

01-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
17th Street Photo has it for $399 on amazon.com