Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #166
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
If I were a moderator I would have already banned you from this thread.
Yeah, well, if I were a moderator here, I wouldn't tolerate "Boycott Pentax" threads on a Pentax fan forum. It's a bit much. If someone wants to switch systems, power to them. If this policy change is enough to motivate them, they'll probably be much happier elsewhere, overpaying for Nikon instead. I see trying to rally others here to do the same as a bit much though.

04-18-2012, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #167
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
Let's all remember our common enemy: the Judean People's fr... er, Pentax USA!!!!!
04-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #168
Pentaxian
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,264
Original Poster
I don't really see the point - getting and buying things online before we actually touch them is getting more and more common. if you don't like it, you can always return them....
For younger generations, this trend will only continue but not reverse.
for the sake of trying to put Pentax back into retail store, they force the retailers to stick to some price. Just doesn't quite make sense.
They should instead find a way to facilitate this trend, like have a period of 30 days trials for the first month of product launch, with money back ($10 shipping or something like that),

I just failed to see how can this strategy attract new customer, but at the same time this strategy is definitely pissing of old customers...
Now only a FF announcement can bring comfort ....

Lee
04-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #169
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Let's all remember our common enemy: the Judean People's fr... er, Pentax USA!!!!!
ROFLMAO, thanks for the comic relief!

04-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #170
Veteran Member
parsons's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Yeah, well, if I were a moderator here, I wouldn't tolerate "Boycott Pentax" threads on a Pentax fan forum. It's a bit much. If someone wants to switch systems, power to them. If this policy change is enough to motivate them, they'll probably be much happier elsewhere, overpaying for Nikon instead. I see trying to rally others here to do the same as a bit much though.
Everyone knows that they are basically trolling.
All we have to do is not feed the troll.

I know that Pentax will be a stronger brand in five years because of this move. People who see otherwise are short sighted. if they move and sell their kit then it will make our lives easier because we can get their kit for cheap and we won't have to put up with their trolling any more.
04-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #171
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,278
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, naive of us.
We can only do so much, there is a time for letting natural selection to start kick in. This goes for cameras and people alike.
04-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #172
Senior Member
mrjamesabels's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NEW JERSEY USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 198
I would love to test actual lenses in the store before buying. Very important. However these prices should be 20% cheaper and have a 3 year warranty.
04-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #173
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Do you even know what vaporware is? No, it doesn't refer to not yet launched products but which are on schedule.
Here, let me help you:
Vaporware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



It was.
Wow. You tried a "gotcha" with a Wikipedia entry. However, Vaporware has been used in context of Pentax's lenses, firmware etc. for years. If you thing Lenses that make onto the Road Map make into production, you are naive. There have been some that made onto it and later dropped off. The TC as been on it and off of it a couple of times.

Plus, therein the Wikipedia article is this:

QuoteQuote:
"Vaporware", sometimes synonymous with "vaportalk" in the 1980s,[3] has no single definition. It is generally used to describe a hardware or software product that has been announced by its developer, but that has not yet been released.[5][10] Use of the term has gradually become more inclusive in the last three decades.



Last edited by Blue; 04-18-2012 at 06:21 PM.
04-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #174
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
Everyone knows that they are basically trolling.
All we have to do is not feed the troll.

I know that Pentax will be a stronger brand in five years because of this move. People who see otherwise are short sighted. if they move and sell their kit then it will make our lives easier because we can get their kit for cheap and we won't have to put up with their trolling any more.
You are, certainly, entitled to your opinion. I was not trolling and have been a solid contributor here. It is amazing how parochial and narrow minded so many are - agree with me and your my mate, disagree and you're a bloody bastard. Wow, very mature and open. I called for a pledge not to reinforce Pentax for its indefensible price rise without any added value, how is that trolling? I said, clearly and repeatedly, that I was planning on buying used and non-Pentax new in K mount. But I guess that any criticism of Pentax is wrong, just as it's wrong to challenge the Pope or any other infallible entity. Gee this whole event has been very revealing about peoples real attitudes and tolerance for different opinions. Yanks like Monochrome are ok because he's positive and loves Pentax unabashedly, which is his right, but Yanks that challenge Pentax's decisions that seem genuinely ill-considered and harmful to its current non-customers are just trolls. Thanks for the clarification.
04-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #175
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Yeah, well, if I were a moderator here, I wouldn't tolerate "Boycott Pentax" threads on a Pentax fan forum. It's a bit much. If someone wants to switch systems, power to them. If this policy change is enough to motivate them, they'll probably be much happier elsewhere, overpaying for Nikon instead. I see trying to rally others here to do the same as a bit much though.

It would be hard to take a moderator with a screen name that breaks down Philo-sloth-ical. However, it this was your avatar, it might be amusing.

Troll

Fan forum? It must be hard to get a objective review on a lens on a forum where only fanbois are allowed.




QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
Everyone knows that they are basically trolling.
All we have to do is not feed the troll.
I know that Pentax will be a stronger brand in five years because of this move.
5 years is a long time in Pentax Land. Are you related to Nostradamus?

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
People who see otherwise are short sighted. if they move and sell their kit then it will make our lives easier because we can get their kit for cheap and we won't have to put up with their trolling any more.
If bull frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their arse on the ground. This has been addressed on my perspective so I won't bother to do it again.
04-18-2012, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #176
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Yeah, well, if I were a moderator here, I wouldn't tolerate "Boycott Pentax" threads on a Pentax fan forum. It's a bit much. If someone wants to switch systems, power to them. If this policy change is enough to motivate them, they'll probably be much happier elsewhere, overpaying for Nikon instead. I see trying to rally others here to do the same as a bit much though.
Good job you're not a moderator then isn't it. A forum with such an unhealthy censorship policy wouldn't get many members I can assure you.

Last edited by Smeggypants; 04-18-2012 at 06:04 PM.
04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #177
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
So I read the response from Mr Ned and amazingly he said...


"To clarify, we have not "raised" the prices on any lenses. The last increase we announced was over a year ago and applied to the DA* star lenses (such as the 16-50mm and the 50-135mm) as well as the FA50mm f/1.4.

One user comment I read summarized the situation quite well by saying, “I think you are seriously misunderstanding the whole conversation. Pentax has not raised prices. They have required authorized dealers to stick to MSRP [Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price] or some percentage of it (we do not know the exact terms). Pentax is attempting to police their sales channel just as many other manufacturers do. Any additional margin will go to the dealers not Pentax.”

The comment above is pretty accurate in his assessment of the retail distribution channels, not only for Pentax, but for every manufacturer in the photo industry. For our growth as a company, and the health of the photo retail marketplace, it is necessary to set guidelines for retail pricing to protect the integrity of the marketplace, and the value of a manufacturer’s products."


Unbelievable!

Mr Ned claims Pentax aren't raising prices on their lenses.

But in reality Pentax has raised the prices on their lenses. I won't use the world 'liar' as Mr Ned has embarrassed himself and made a huge faux pas on behalf Pentax already; Very poor show
04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #178
Veteran Member
riff's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,408
And this just in at 5:34 PM;
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It is amazing how parochial and narrow minded so many are - agree with me and your my mate, disagree and you're a bloody bastard. Wow, very mature and open.
From the guy who said this at 4:34 PM
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's been real eye opening what complete bastards many of our non-US "friends" here on the Pentax forum are in actual fact.
04-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #179
Veteran Member
parsons's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 389
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You are, certainly, entitled to your opinion. I was not trolling and have been a solid contributor here. It is amazing how parochial and narrow minded so many are - agree with me and your my mate, disagree and you're a bloody bastard. Wow, very mature and open. I called for a pledge not to reinforce Pentax for its indefensible price rise without any added value, how is that trolling? I said, clearly and repeatedly, that I was planning on buying used and non-Pentax new in K mount. But I guess that any criticism of Pentax is wrong, just as it's wrong to challenge the Pope or any other infallible entity. Gee this whole event has been very revealing about peoples real attitudes and tolerance for different opinions. Yanks like Monochrome are ok because he's positive and loves Pentax unabashedly, which is his right, but Yanks that challenge Pentax's decisions that seem genuinely ill-considered and harmful to its current non-customers are just trolls. Thanks for the clarification.
I wasn't referring to you as a troll- I didn't see what you were doing as a let's all leave to canikon bandwagon. I h e noticed other posters saying they are leaving and trying to convince others to do the same- which is not what you were doing.
I actually agree with you that buying lenses at prices double what they were is senseless, and not buying them is the correct way forward because it will mean that the prices will come down faster- as Ned said- when the prices settle, we will be competitive ( or something to that effect)

I'm sorry that I have come between this disagreement- and I am not taking sides.

I simply have a problem with people calling other people bastards.

I also have a problem with people bringing politics into a news and rumor forum. There is a perfectly good politics forum that you can post in if you want to discus such topics. You won't find me there though.
04-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #180
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
So I read the response from Mr Ned and amazingly he said...


"To clarify, we have not "raised" the prices on any lenses. The last increase we announced was over a year ago and applied to the DA* star lenses (such as the 16-50mm and the 50-135mm) as well as the FA50mm f/1.4.

One user comment I read summarized the situation quite well by saying, “I think you are seriously misunderstanding the whole conversation. Pentax has not raised prices. They have required authorized dealers to stick to MSRP [Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price] or some percentage of it (we do not know the exact terms). Pentax is attempting to police their sales channel just as many other manufacturers do. Any additional margin will go to the dealers not Pentax.”

The comment above is pretty accurate in his assessment of the retail distribution channels, not only for Pentax, but for every manufacturer in the photo industry. For our growth as a company, and the health of the photo retail marketplace, it is necessary to set guidelines for retail pricing to protect the integrity of the marketplace, and the value of a manufacturer’s products."


Unbelievable!

Mr Ned claims Pentax aren't raising prices on their lenses.

But in reality Pentax has raised the prices on their lenses. I won't use the world 'liar' as Mr Ned has embarrassed himself and made a huge faux pas on behalf Pentax already; Very poor show
Very good observation! bigthumbsupThey didn't hit us over the head with a board, they made the dealers do it. Ned has been in the > koolaid
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
channel, lens, lens prices, marketplace, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photo, price, prices, u.s
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lens strategy/thoughts ? rtpguy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 11-30-2011 09:35 AM
My lens strategy (not a which one to buy thread) jerryleejr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 09-21-2011 01:08 AM
Pentax UK's responses to my K-5 questions adamfogerty Pentax News and Rumors 8 10-22-2010 12:36 AM
Ned Bunnel interview at Photokina - K-5, K-r, Pentax strategy etc rawr Pentax News and Rumors 50 10-13-2010 06:15 PM
Looking at the current lens lineup, ISO seems to be Pentax strategy. Reportage Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 10-05-2010 02:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top