Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #256
Veteran Member

My area Target stores have the big Kutcher Nikon 1 displays with non-functional dummy cameras attached to cables. Otherwise mostly P&S and bridge.
So 76 is probably dead-on that this simply means Optios. Target is not going to carry $1500 DA* lenses. Pentax lenses don't command these market prices on their own. And they won't.

04-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Target won't be carrying any Pentax cameras in store except the P&S. Maybe the K-01 or Q.
Which I guess is what they want to do. We are not the ones Pentax is going to show the camera/lens as we are already on the hook. They need the 1st dslr/milc buyers to see Pentax and ask "hey what is this (yellow/red/pink/purple/rainbow) cool thingy?" If they buy to the system there is always a chance that little group of them who get serious and upgrade will stay with Pentax.
Btw, how many of higher end Canikons are now in Best Buy or Walmart?
04-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Which I guess is what they want to do. We are not the ones Pentax is going to show the camera/lens as we are already on the hook. They need the 1st dslr/milc buyers to see Pentax and ask "hey what is this (yellow/red/pink/purple/rainbow) cool thingy?" If they buy to the system there is always a chance that little group of them who get serious and upgrade will stay with Pentax.
0 higher end Canon or Nikon's at either Target or WalMart near me. I have seen 3100 and even a 5100 (if I am remembering their #s right) locally but that is about it. There would be no place for the K-5 in either store. The K-r and its replacement, ok. A camera between the K-r and K-5 that is WR but entry level - maybe. Any lenses other than the Kit lenses and MAYBE 1 INEXPENSIVE prime - No way.
04-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On perhaps a slightly different view.

Looking as this somewhat differently perhaps, I have to wonder what ( if any) effect the price increase on lenses will have on the "other " lens manufacturers ( i.e. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc all). Currently, these guys don't make a lot of their lenses in K-Mount any more and the ones that are available appear to be older designs. It would seem that there would be an opportunity here for them to fill in the market gaps with their products, where they might have a significant price advantage over comparable Pentax lenses. If that were to happen, then we could come out ahead, or Pentax might be forced to re-think their strategy.

Just my $0.02.

Ed

04-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad to hear that Honda is copying Saturn, I'll never forgive GM for how they treated Saturn - terrific division but treated as the bastard step-child.
Blame Pontiac & (especially) Chevrolet. They hated Saturn. Pure envy. I had 2 of the originals - SL and then SL2 - and they were wonderful cars for me.

Off topic, but: about a year into ownership of my SL, the driver's side door developed a rattle. The culprit was a piece of trim on the door interior panel. I took the SL to the dealership for the repair under warranty. After about an hour, the service manager came out and said that they couldn't get the trim piece delivered today, would I mind if they simply replaced the entire door panel? An hour after that I was driving home.
04-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Best Buy's "Top 5 DSLRs" are the T2i, D5100, D3100, T3i, and the Nikon 1. At Wal-mart you could probably switch the T3 for the N1.

The last time I was in the camera section at the local Best Buy the sales-person was trying to talk a customer out of a Nikon and into a Canon, because that's what she used. I would bet that Canon had better spiffs at the time as well.
04-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Blame Pontiac & (especially) Chevrolet. They hated Saturn. Pure envy. I had 2 of the originals - SL and then SL2 - and they were wonderful cars for me.

Off topic, but: about a year into ownership of my SL, the driver's side door developed a rattle. The culprit was a piece of trim on the door interior panel. I took the SL to the dealership for the repair under warranty. After about an hour, the service manager came out and said that they couldn't get the trim piece delivered today, would I mind if they simply replaced the entire door panel? An hour after that I was driving home.
Similar uniformly positive experiences with Saturn for me. Now I've been assigned to the Cadillac Dealership because apparently the engine in my vehicle is the same as in one of theirs. They have lied to me no less than 8 times in 2 visits on major issues, and yes each is documented - like changing the oil when they did not, rotating the tires when they did not, telling me that the window motor was burned out and I needed to replace it when it miraculously worked fine on the drive home and has been spontaneously healed ever since, etc. I miss Saturn.
04-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #263
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Target won't be carrying any Pentax cameras in store except the P&S. Maybe the K-01 or Q.
And the new, low-end traditional body, internet-connected camera.

Wait - WHAT? You didn't know?

Ricoh has a plan . . .

04-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad to hear that Honda is copying Saturn, I'll never forgive GM The United Auto Workers Union for how they treated Saturn - terrific division but treated as the bastard step-child.

Anyway, I bought my Honda CRV 10 years ago that way - not Priority Mail but it was delivered to my front door. Never went into a dealership (nasty evil places). That was TEN years ago. Catch up with the times, geez. The Internet is your friend.
Huh. Guess I better call Dave Mungenast and clue him in on that newfangled selling channel.
04-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greeneg Quote
Looking as this somewhat differently perhaps, I have to wonder what ( if any) effect the price increase on lenses will have on the "other " lens manufacturers ( i.e. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc all). Currently, these guys don't make a lot of their lenses in K-Mount any more and the ones that are available appear to be older designs. It would seem that there would be an opportunity here for them to fill in the market gaps with their products, where they might have a significant price advantage over comparable Pentax lenses. If that were to happen, then we could come out ahead, or Pentax might be forced to re-think their strategy.

Just my $0.02.

Ed
Actually the lower-priced competiton of the third-party lens makers supports the higher-priced Pentax lenses - and by extension the entire brand - because new-entry buyers have a lower cost way to enter the brand. Widening the margin on Pentax lenses give the big three room to price compete, which is a good thing.
04-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #266
Veteran Member

That or how about lenses? How many of these box stores actually carry lenses beyond a 55-300mm kit zoom? You certainly won't find anything beyond a kit lens at your local Walmart or Target. Best Buy lists some higher end stuff on their website, but they're all "ship to store" items, so they don't actually carry them in the store.

Last edited by einstrigger; 04-19-2012 at 02:11 PM.
04-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #267
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Best Buy's "Top 5 DSLRs" are the T2i, D5100, D3100, T3i, and the Nikon 1. At Wal-mart you could probably switch the T3 for the N1.

The last time I was in the camera section at the local Best Buy the sales-person was trying to talk a customer out of a Nikon and into a Canon, because that's what she used. I would bet that Canon had better spiffs at the time as well.
BB isn't commission and AFAIK don't pay spiffs to employees. They do however have sales contests with prizes - just as effective with minimum wage employees
04-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And the new, low-end traditional body, internet-connected camera.

Wait - WHAT? You didn't know?

Ricoh has a plan . . .
I hope you like my new sig (if you can see it...)
04-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I hope you like my new sig
?? - not seeing it, but I'm sure it is good

[EDIT] There are many copiers... and they have a plan!
04-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #270
Pentaxian

Yep, that one. Have mercy, I'm not very confident in my English (joking in a foreign language being particularly difficult, IMO) - but please do tell me if I failed