Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Now I feel like a piker, shooting with only two bodies. Of course, between the two of them I am unable to summon one good photo on most days but that may have another cause ....

04-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #332
Veteran Member

Wait a second... if I had four bodies, I could get four times as many crappy pictures!
04-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #333
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I'd almost take that bet for a nascar event where there are frequently far in excess of some 100k people there. But who would be willing to count; so we'll never know. My medium sized gadget bag usually holds three Pentax cameras. 26 more to go
A few more guys like you and we could start a Pentax Revolution!

It doesn't really bother me at all if I am the only Pentax guy around at an event, but it does not bode well for the future of the brand, does it? I can think of many ways to improve brand recognition and acceptance....raising prices would not be found anywhere on my list.

Regards!
04-21-2012, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Why would anybody do that? It would take all the fun out of people arguing based on nothing but speculation.
Just to be clear, I have read his comments (selective as they are) and find no firm commitments that are new. He's dealing with a backlash and saying a lot of things to try to calm down an angry group but he is not committing to anything specific. Even, something like, 'we're firmly committed to raising the length of the warranty but we are reviewing how to implement that and will get back to you once we have decided." would be a huge statement. Nothing firm other than they've raised prices ahead of doing anything concrete. Still, I will continue to read in the hopes that something genuine will come forth.

04-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Wait a second... if I had four bodies, I could get four times as many crappy pictures!
Only if you'll learn to shoot with your feet too.
04-21-2012, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #336
Inactive Account

How can you say they haven't raised lens prices?

The 16-50 WP lens just went from 900 to 1500. That is the price I WOULD pay, if I were an idiot. I have not read ONE single article that praises the lens by itself, much less against it's competition. Because I have to have a WR lens, I was going to purchase that lens today, and now I'm considering selling my lenses and K5 (brand new), for a Canon EOS 7D (WD). I'm also looking at the Fuji x pro1.

I love my K5, but the lack of a decent WP wide zoom lens has put the breaks on my investment in Pentax. Sad. I suddenly don't see a future to Pentax.

However, I'm hopeful they will retract this marketing mistake.
04-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #337
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sepia1 Quote

The 16-50 WP lens just went from 900 to 1500. That is the price I WOULD pay, if I were an idiot. I have not read ONE single article that praises the lens by itself, much less against it's competition. Because I have to have a WR lens, I was going to purchase that lens today, and now I'm considering selling my lenses and K5 (brand new), for a Canon EOS 7D (WD). I'm also looking at the Fuji x pro1.

I love my K5, but the lack of a decent WP wide zoom lens has put the breaks on my investment in Pentax. Sad. I suddenly don't see a future to Pentax.

It's not a marketing mistake, Pentax font do marketing

04-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #338
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sepia1 Quote

Is the Canon 17-55 weather sealed? How about the Fuji Pro 1 lenses? Not sure how either of these cameras fixes your problem.
04-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #339

@ Sepia1 Amazon still has it for $1040. Not bad considering.
04-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #340
Veteran Member

@both of you

The cheapest price was $799 before the annoucement, not $900.

Just FYI
04-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #341
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Is the Canon 17-55 weather sealed

Eerrr... I've seen a number of people with this perception . Please realize that any camera that is not labeled weatherproof (ie waterproof - Olympus is quite well known for their limited waterproof/shock resistant models) has not achieved that mark. The term weather resistant is quite limited and not quite a guarantee of sorts. Sure I've seen the pics (and even recent covers) or camera and lens that have been through a lot, but... To what limits??

A fine camera (or lens) is like a fine watch. And btw is a Breitling or Omega watch that states WR down to 100m even close to a divers WP?

It's a nice item to have that water resistance label on items just in case - but... Also be prepared for what could happen if even the tinyest item of water happens to get into that device.
04-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #342

I just read on Ned's blog that "ALL" comments have been posted, NOT TRUE!

I just read on Ned's blog that "ALL" comments have been posted, even those critical of Pentax's new pricing policy... That is not remotely true!!!!!!

I submitted the following three times last week and it was not posted! Only slightly critical entries seem to appear!

"You might not see it as a "price increase", but the bottom line is that the price I must pay now is as much as double for a Pentax lens. My bottom line is now I can not afford to purchase Pentax lenses and Sigma now is looking damn good. I had been methodically building up my Pentax gear, but being disabled and on a very limited income I have been priced right out of the Pentax lens market. Besides why should I pay more for a product with an inferior warranty and often inferior performance?

If a camera store can not be competitive, why should the customer get the shaft by "subsidizing" their lack of competitiveness. You talk about making the Pentax product more available... I live 166 miles from the nearest camera store, which is in Boise and I'm unable to drive, plus live in a very small town in the mountains.... so how does this help me? So now I not only do I have to pay the same price online, but shipping charges on top of that!

If it had not been for B&H's fantastic service and prices, prior to this "price increase" I would not have taken the chance on purchasing Pentax in the first place with the often "spotty" quality control issues, along with poor warranty period.

Pentax has lost a customer and I'm sure that I'm not the only one in the same boat! There is no reason for a camera shop to make such a huge profit and it is rewarding both non-competitiveness and greed!"
04-21-2012, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenM Quote
I just read on Ned's blog that "ALL" comments have been posted, even those critical of Pentax's new pricing policy... That is not remotely true!!!!!!

I submitted the following three times last week and it was not posted! Only slightly critical entries seem to appear!

"You might not see it as a "price increase", but the bottom line is that the price I must pay now is as much as double for a Pentax lens. My bottom line is now I can not afford to purchase Pentax lenses and Sigma now is looking damn good. I had been methodically building up my Pentax gear, but being disabled and on a very limited income I have been priced right out of the Pentax lens market. Besides why should I pay more for a product with an inferior warranty and often inferior performance?

If a camera store can not be competitive, why should the customer get the shaft by "subsidizing" their lack of competitiveness. You talk about making the Pentax product more available... I live 166 miles from the nearest camera store, which is in Boise and I'm unable to drive, plus live in a very small town in the mountains.... so how does this help me? So now I not only do I have to pay the same price online, but shipping charges on top of that!

If it had not been for B&H's fantastic service and prices, prior to this "price increase" I would not have taken the chance on purchasing Pentax in the first place with the often "spotty" quality control issues, along with poor warranty period.

Pentax has lost a customer and I'm sure that I'm not the only one in the same boat! There is no reason for a camera shop to make such a huge profit and it is rewarding both non-competitiveness and greed!"
Just to be clear, where has it been stated by Mr Ned or any official that all comments have been approved on Mr Ned's blog ( As linked to in the OP of this thread ).

Mr Ned has already told an untruth when he claimed "To clarify, we have not "raised" the prices on any lenses." - telling lies or untruths is a serious accusation so would like to clarify before chalking up another one to his name.
04-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #344

Hello, I should have been clearer about the source "that all comments were posted including the ones critical of the new policy".... the source is the last current entry made by "dgcom" making this claim.... I do not know if Ned has been making this claim himself, but the fact that Ned has been censoring the "critical of the new pricing policy" comments is a lie in itself by Ned! I went to "dgcom" Twitter page to correct him, but it has not been active since the 25th of January.

I hate in accurate "brown nosing"! I was already upset with Ned's lame theories that "I should be happy to pay twice as much"!!!!!

I have shot with a Pentax 67 since the early 80s, just switching over to K-5s recently. I was until this point was a devoted "Pentaxian", but when the "President" of a company does not feel an obligation to bother replying to critical comments made because of his new policies... it shows that he does not even value the customers or care about their opinions!

Maybe Ken has not noticed the major law suit filed against "Apple" last week for price fixing by the US Department of Justice... this at least comes damn close to price fixing, if not price fixing!

In the last 5 months I have bought K-5s and 3 DA* lenses... I was going to buy a 4th DA* the end of the month, but guess what... after it sky rocketed almost $800 at the strike of mid-night on "April Fools Day".... Sigma has my business now! But then I could just sell my DA*s at a huge profit after the "non-existent price increase" and my K-5s to go either full frame Canon or Nikon..... something Ned should have thought about first, too!

No customer loyalty... no brand loyalty! That is what I have to say..... but I could wait a year or two and "maybe" get a hundred dollar rebate on the lens that just went up over $800 in price! But then I have worked for Ricoh in the past and know their business practices.... they love to re-brand and then massive price increases for the exact same product from the original manufacturer such as Toshiba (I've work for Toshiba and know this for fact!)
04-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #345
Pentaxian

Lots of assumptions, some of them blatantly untrue (e.g. Ned never said he accepted all the comments, and he definitely approved polite "negative" posts). And he is correct, what is happening is (more or less) asking retailers to stick with MSRP.
I believe comments that e.g. calls him a liar should be censored. Ned is also very busy, so it's understandable if he can't read hundreds of comments and approve all of them (unless insulting).