Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #571
Inactive Account

Thanks, Rupert. Appreciate your 1st hand take on the lens(es) (and the great image!).

Makes sense - with known (& reoccurring) SDM issues, it sure is hard to feel comfortable having to pay so much more.

Last edited by jmg257; 05-04-2012 at 01:34 PM.
05-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #572
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The 200 would be a good choice at that price....for me, being an avid zoom shooter, primes seldom meet my approval for long....as soon as I have to zoom with my feet, I'm unhappy. This is one reason I love the 50-135...it is near prime quality...and I have compared it regularly with my 43 Ltd and other high quality primes. It's close enough for Squirrels!

Best Regards!
Agreed. This lens is pristine.
05-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #573
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by salgueiros Quote
No, you ( i mean several people in this thread) are not only debating the marketing strategy of Pentax, you are accusing the US Pentax people of among other things "dishonesty" and "stupidity", something you are clearly not in a position to judge. So, in my perspective, it is pure whining.

The free country was not a veiled insult. i used it to show openly the inconsistency of your position. You are in a free country and that applies to costumers AND private companies.
LOL - You obviously have no idea whatsoever
05-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #574

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
LOL - You obviously have no idea whatsoever
Obviously

05-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #575
Veteran Member

Wow, that is a tough question, given that I only paid $700 new...and that I think it is one of Pentax's finest lenses for superb IQ. $1600 is too much I believe, but $8-9 hundred would be reasonable...provided it had a much better warranty. This is my second SMD failure with this lens, and it has only been lightly used. That is not acceptable. If I used it steadily, I think I could expect $225 a year just to maintain it. That can get expensive very fast!

For $1600, I would want a five year full warranty, free delivery...by that UPS girl that Jan used to post over on DPR...remember her? I think I would even want her to spend a little time modeling for me at that price!

It is a great lens...Otis was proud to see it back, just in time for posing for his Mothers Day card!

He wants it captioned......"Mom, Thanks for my Handsome Looks...Happy Mothers Day, Otis"

F2.8 1/800 ISO 3200 123mm K5 + DA* 50-135
[/url] [/IMG]

Maybe this will help those guys stop fighting and join forces to knock my Squirrels! Otis says...."Bring it on!"

Best Regards!

LOL. His "face" is not in focus, but his a** (tail) is. Was it intentional, or $1600 lens just backfocused?
05-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #576
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
LOL. His "face" is not in focus, but his a** (tail) is. Was it intentional, or $1600 lens just backfocused?
Otis was afraid you guys couldn't handle his handsomeness if it was too sharp, and figured some of you would be more interested in his tail end anyhow.......

We don't do perfection around here, but we do have fun! BTW....It's a great lens! Would I pay $1600 for it.....hell no!

Best Regards!

Attachment 127388

Last edited by Rupert; 03-25-2015 at 10:46 AM.
05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #577
Veteran Member

We don't do perfection around here, but we do have fun!
Now that's a healthy attitude IMO.. Respect Rupert The Focus Police are also fun though. Just like the Grammar Police

05-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #578
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you don't respect Otis then the drums will be sounding in your neighborhood on the next cloudy evening........:evil:
05-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #579
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Otis is pretty forgiving, he has a real craving for nuts, so he finds plenty to like around here! Otis has taught me that I will never shoot up to his expectations.....but I can have fun trying! There are those that are deadly serious...and then there are those like me.....and at PF there is room for both.
I can get almost as much pleasure out of what I see from others as what I get myself.....there are some fantastic photographers around here! However, I feel lucky....I've got what no one else has...I've got Otis...or maybe Otis has me!

Best Regards!

From Otis too! (Yep, he complained! I cut off his tail!)
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #580
Site Supporter

(Yep, he complained! I cut off his tail!)
[/url] [/IMG]
Tell him squirrel tails are great wired to a vehicle antenna. Hysterical
05-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think they can afford to block grey market just yet. Nikon has moved in that direction, but only indirectly. B & H and Adorama offer grey market Nikon products. Nikon reportedly is cutting off supplies of Nikon parts to independent repair facilities. Pretty soon, owners of grey market Nikon goods are going to find that they cannot get them fixed by the independents and Nikon will not service non-USA distribution products at its authorized repair facilities. As for warranties. Nikon offers a 5 year warranty on its USA lenses, but, and it is a big but, those warranties are not transferrable. You pay a premium for non-grey market, but you can't recoup it when you sell the lens, because the warranty is not transferrable and thus adds no value at resale.
05-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #582
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
. You pay a premium for non-grey market, but you can't recoup it when you sell the lens, because the warranty is not transferrable and thus adds no value at resale.
Mmmm is this legal ? I mean, non transferrable warranty ?
At least in EU, AFAIK it is between countries. But probably not going outside EU.

Non transfereable warranty IMO is discouraging resale and IMO should be a prohibited way of doing business.
05-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #583
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmmm is this legal ? I mean, non transferrable warranty ?
At least in EU, AFAIK it is between countries. But probably not going outside EU.

Non transfereable warranty IMO is discouraging resale and IMO should be a prohibited way of doing business.
Actually warranties are rarely transferable between the original buyer and the used buyer. read the fine print on some of them.

for instance

QuoteQuote:
This warranty only applies to PENTAX photographic equipment originally distributed in Canada by PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC., 1770 Argentia Road, Mississauga, ON L5N 3S7. This warranty applies to the original owner only and is non-transferable
05-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #584
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Actually warranties are rarely transferable between the original buyer and the used buyer. read the fine print on some of them.

for instance
Which is why they want you to register your product and you should save the receipt. Eventually they will challenge warranty repairs of unregistered product (deliver your receipt).
05-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #585
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Which is why they want you to register your product and you should save the receipt. Eventually they will challenge warranty repairs of unregistered product (deliver your receipt).
first thing i do with any warranty type product is staple the receipt to the card and store it with the manuals (which of course i never read like most of the population )