Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Cockroaches are survivors too, but no one attributes it to intelligence.
of course, because they are surviving against the odds of a different nature, dude...

04-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
and he does... he weathered Pentax -> Hoya -> Ricoh so far... that 's what defines his intelligence.
Except it doesn't. You obviously don't know much about corporate positions.
04-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #213
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't want to insult Ned's intelligence....but it appears he doesn't mind insulting ours? When those Mom & Pop Camera Stores start popping up ...and not just in the sky, but here across America...and they are full of Pentax gear....I will retract that statement. I won't be holding my breath......
Regards!
04-18-2012, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #214
Pentaxian

So Pentax happily supplied the grey market for years, shafting their own dealers.
Now this will fix it ?
Why didn't they just supply their own dealers only.
Is it true the dealers had to take and sell a certain quota
in order to retain the contract ?
Pete

04-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #215
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't want to insult Ned's intelligence....but it appears he doesn't mind insulting ours? When those Mom & Pop Camera Stores start popping up ...and not just in the sky, but here across America...and they are full of Pentax gear....I will retract that statement. I won't be holding my breath......
Regards!
bigthumbsup

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
So Pentax happily supplied the grey market for years, shafting their own dealers.
Now this will fix it ?
Why didn't they just supply their own dealers only.
Is it true the dealers had to take and sell a certain quota
in order to retain the contract ?
Pete
It seems like plugging the gray market holes would be a better solution.
04-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #216

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
"...when the prices settle down, I think you'll see we're competitive and I don't think it's apples to apples to compare a "limited" lens like the DA 21 with standard 20mm lenses - totally different construction, weight optics etc." - Ned
Can't resist:
Sigma 20mmf1.8 $629.00. covers full frame. fast
DA21mmf3.2. $649.0. slow. severe vignetting on full frame.

Brick and mortar stores are a business model from the 1970s...
04-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Regards!
Mr Ned is the only person exposing his intelligence level, or the lack of it.

the other non-intelligent portion of his blog is this ...

" The prices some of you refer to are likely found “online” and have in the past represented significant discounts which no storefront can compete against. As such, until we create parity in pricing, it’s very hard to get retailers to want to carry or expand their support for Pentax."

Trying to fight the evolution from real store to cyberstore is seriously lacking in intelligence. So what is Pentax going to do? Refuse to deal with online distributers because physical 'walk in stores' can't compete on Price

Online stores are here to stay. Only a complete business moron would try and fight that reality. In fact 'online' stores are nothing new. Before the WWW they used to be called 'Mail-Order' stores.

I used to manage a department in a retail, walk in goods on display store years ago, I do have some proper hands on experience with the issues being discussed here.

Plenty of people used to come in and use us to look at the goods and then buy it cheaper mail order. Yes it was annoying, but had we tried to compete on price with the Mail-Order peeps we would have gone bankrupt. We survived with higher prices and lower turnover to the local crowd that were prepared to pay more for the better and personal service

Trying to force some 'Price Parity' which Mr Ned is talking about is pure nuts. It'll only end in tears

04-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote

Brick and mortar stores are a business model from the 1970s...

Well I wouldn't go that far, but they certainly are more of a niche sector of the market these days. They do still have their place, but as I've described above trying to cultivate them above the level of what the market can naturally handle is suicide.
04-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote

" The prices some of you refer to are likely found “online” and have in the past represented significant discounts which no storefront can compete against. As such, until we create parity in pricing, it’s very hard to get retailers to want to carry or expand their support for Pentax."

Trying to fight the evolution from real store to cyberstore is seriously lacking in intelligence. So what is Pentax going to do? Refuse to deal with online distributers because physical 'walk in stores' can't compete on Price

Online stores are here to stay. Only a complete business moron would try and fight that reality. In fact 'online' stores are nothing new. Before the WWW they used to be called 'Mail-Order' stores.

I used to manage a department in a retail, walk in goods on display store years ago, I do have some proper hands on experience with the issues being discussed here.

Plenty of people used to come in and use us to look at the goods and then buy it cheaper mail order. Yes it was annoying, but had we tried to compete on price with the Mail-Order peeps we would have gone bankrupt. We survived with higher prices and lower turnover to the local crowd that were prepared to pay more for the better and personal service

Trying to force some 'Price Parity' which Mr Ned is talking about is pure nuts. It'll only end in tears
It can work but only under incredibly specific and unusual circumstances as in the case of Rolex where there is incredible name recognition and a sense that paying more, even a lot more, is the only way to achieve the status that only that product can convey. So, how is Pentax like Rolex?
04-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #220
Inactive Account

Regards!
Yep. We'll be drinkin' that free bubbalub and eatin' that rainbow stew....

Seems to me Ned could have made his response the day he acknowledged the questions regarding the lens prices...If it is that simple, then what took nearly 2 weeks for him to speak. Is he from Punksatony?
04-18-2012, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This equates to slashing your own wrist with a dull blade. A very bold yet stupid move. They manage to keep blowing their nuts off with a sawed off shot gun.

I don't see the advantage of actually seeing the lenses before purchase. We aren't talking about designer clothes. Don't worry. These lenses do fit the K mount just fine. Yeah, they are slow, but they autofocus, sort of like other brands do.

This move is solely based on hideous assumption that the reason Pentax does not do well is the fact that potential customers don't get look at the actual products with their own eyes. The problem goes much deeper than that.

Silly.
04-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #222

And today Nikon announced 28mm f/1.8G, full frame lens at suggested price of 700$. But i guess Ned knows better...
04-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote

I don't know, but I have said for a long time that I feel like Pentax needs to get cameras into stores. People are constantly slamming Best Buy, but a lot of people do buy electronics through them. Getting Krs into Walmart or Target. But as long as there is no profit to be made (on line dealers selling lenses for minimum mark up over actual dealer cost) there will be no market penetration.

Nikon does treat the US differently from the rest of the world market. D7000 was sold here for considerably less than it did in Europe. Nikon lenses are expensive here, but a lot less than over there. I just want to see Pentax grow in this country and they need better placement for that to happen.
04-19-2012, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #224
Veteran Member

I assume there are Canons and Nikons available in B&M stores in the US? And I also assume they aren't usually sold on MSRP. So what's the difference between the brands (except close to non-existing Pentax marketing)?
04-19-2012, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yeah, and when the world wants help who do they turn to? Are they speaking German across Europe now? Hmmm. Funny man, love the and other added value icons.
and when did you enter the war again. give me a break referencing a 70 year old situation, meantime you've interfered in many countries since who haven't wanted your help
you want to make crap comments like that take it to P&R
(BTW Canada was in the war several years before you)