Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #241
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well show me the website where you can buy a Kia Rio over the internet and have it delivered to your door Priority Mail Falt Rate. We have plenty of automobile B&M stores. We need more of them using the Honda "New Way" selling model. (Priced on the windshield - no dickering, no add-ons, no hassle. I love it!!)
You can actually pick your vehicle with options online and if there isn't one at the local B&M, they will steer you to one or ship one to your dealer. I got a quoted price on my Jeep Wrangler. The local goobers tried to high ball me. I countered twice with the promise from Chrysler that I had in writing.

04-19-2012, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Interesting responses to posts on NB's blog--such as these ones:
Wait, so they do have a plan?

Now that I'm thinking... having a plan... Ricoh being a copier company... (many) copies... sounds vaguely familiar (BSG, anyone?)
04-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Food for thought, kind of - those disappearing B&M retailers.
04-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wait, so they do have a plan?

Now that I'm thinking... having a plan... Ricoh being a copier company... (many) copies... sounds vaguely familiar (BSG, anyone?)
I miss BSG.

Let's hope Ricoh's plan is not like the Cylon plan, though! I don't think we ever found out what exactly that plan was!

04-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry if someone else figured this out and already posted this, but according to Ned's blog, it sounds like the "national distributor" in the USA will soon be Target! He said in a reply on his blog: "I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you find out that our weatherproof line is now being carried in over 1700 stores whose primary color is red." I just googled "Target and 1700" and that's the number of stores that Target claims to have across the country. There are several Targets near me, and I'd love to be able to walk into them and handle a K-5 or successor weatherproof camera!
04-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #246
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Sorry if someone else figured this out and already posted this, but according to Ned's blog, it sounds like the "national distributor" in the USA will soon be Target! He said in a reply on his blog: "I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you find out that our weatherproof line is now being carried in over 1700 stores whose primary color is red." I just googled "Target and 1700" and that's the number of stores that Target claims to have across the country. There are several Targets near me, and I'd love to be able to walk into them and handle a K-5 or successor weatherproof camera!
It was briefly mentioned. I am wondering how well a $2000 DA* 60-250mm/4 or $1500 DA* 300/4 will do in there. A 5 year warranty would help.
04-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Target near me carry mostly P&S, 1 canon dslr and 1 nikon dslr. No accessories or anything that looks like a lens. Wait I take that back, they do stock the Nikon 1 with 2 lenses. The K-r kit might be a canidate at Target, but it's not a specialty store with dedicated knowledgable staff. Selling the K-5 at Target could be a interesting. It would be a biggest baddest dslr in the store.

04-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree it's not the right demographic for buying expensive cameras and lenses. And forget about knowledgeable customer service! Still, I like the convenience factor of being able to hold the product and look at it in person.
04-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #249
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Target won't be carrying any Pentax cameras in store except the P&S. Maybe the K-01 or Q.
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #250
Banned

Ned Bunnell responded:

QuoteQuote:
[...] And while I mentioned we are considering bringing back rebates to help with this transition, you need to know we also are looking at other ways to improve customer satisfaction such as lens warranties. I can't possibly share everything we are working on but the notion driven by the forums that we're not looking at this Growth in America strategy from every angle is just not an accurate picture.

First of all, there was no "transition". This was a decree and the prices went up overnight.

Second,when he says that " we also are looking at other ways to improve customer satisfaction such as lens warranties" , what he is REALLY saying is,

"If lens sales do not decrease substantially, we are not going to do anything. If they do, we will then we will look at 'other ways to improve customer satisfaction such as lens warranties'."

Read between the lines here. Pentax is going to try and hold their users hostage and see how things shake out. This policy has nothing to do with growing the brand. It is about seeing what the market will bear, and how much more money the company can make WITHOUT adding any more value to an existing product.
04-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, all he said was "their weatherproof line," so I bet it will only be the Optio WG-2...
04-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #252
Site Supporter

Actually, all he said was "their weatherproof line," so I bet it will only be the Optio WG-2...

Hysterical

I agree it's not the right demographic for buying expensive cameras and lenses. And forget about knowledgeable customer service! Still, I like the convenience factor of being able to hold the product and look at it in person.
I can't even imagine what a local 19 year old college student from F.S.U. or Florida A&M would say about a Pentax K-5 or FA 77mm Ltd.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Target won't be carrying any Pentax cameras in store except the P&S. Maybe the K-01 or Q.
They have scaled back their photography selection over the past 3 years quite a bit at the Target here in Tallahassee.
04-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Interesting responses to posts on NB's blog--such as these ones:
Gee, sounds like the griping here that many are being abusive toward those who are speaking up may actually have registered on His Holiness and be impacting "future decisions". Ya think? Of course if sales do not plummet then they have no motivation to consider ANY additional value added to the lenses do they? Have you considered Taking the Pledge?

Wonder what Ned's screen name is here?

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-19-2012 at 09:27 AM.
04-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well show me the website where you can buy a Kia Rio over the internet and have it delivered to your door Priority Mail Falt Rate. We have plenty of automobile B&M stores. We need more of them using the Honda "New Way" selling model. (Priced on the windshield - no dickering, no add-ons, no hassle. I love it!!)
Glad to hear that Honda is copying Saturn, I'll never forgive GM for how they treated Saturn - terrific division but treated as the bastard step-child.

Anyway, I bought my Honda CRV 10 years ago that way - not Priority Mail but it was delivered to my front door. Never went into a dealership (nasty evil places). That was TEN years ago. Catch up with the times, geez. The Internet is your friend.
04-19-2012, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #255
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Maybe the K-01 or Q.
Maybe the new entry level DSLR(s). Maybe the cheaper WR kit-type lenses. They sell other DSLRs, why not Pentax? Hmm..maybe binoculars and rifle scopes too?

Whatever they are offering, I won't mind seeing them there, and advertised in their circulars, along side Canon and Nikon and whoever.

Last edited by jmg257; 04-19-2012 at 09:40 AM.