Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Very good point and it is so true and funny at the same time.

Pentax really need to get products out that people wants to buy and have them for a reasonable price. I really haven't brought a new lens for a few years because I have all the FA Limiteds, all the DA limiteds except for the 40 and I never wanted it), and all the DA* lenses. I really wanted a few more high quality lenses but Pentax, especially under Hoya ownership) just never released them. Where is the fast WR normal lens for just one example. Hopefully under Ricoh ownership Pentax will start releasing more high-end lenses. Then let the lenses compete in price with the high-end Nikon and Canon lenses.

Dave
This is really where I am at (I don't own all of the lenses Dave owns, but most of the ones I want). I would like them to improve some of the existing lenses (16-50, 50-135) and release some new lenses. Get a couple of 1.4-ish primes other than the FA 50 and the DA * 55. Bring back some speed in the line up, in general. Price the lenses for what they are worth and let the whining continue.

04-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well not to be one of those contrary jerks who has to come back and say, "Not here!!," but within a 15 minute drive of my house there are 7 full-service FLY FISHING (not hardware fishing) dealers, two fly-tying materials merchants (literally - just materials) and a few Mom&Pop stores that deal in vintage stuff. We also have a 9-store camera chain that Ned calls on that still uses Pentax Co-op radio advertising and at XMAS is actually on the morning TV news.

It can be done.
The county I live in has 17 trout streams and it's own trout hatchery. There are another 33 trout streams within a 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive. But just 1 fly fishing store for a metro population between 500,000 to 750,000 (depending on which demographer you are asking). There is also a Bass Pro Shop and a Gander Mountain in the area, but I don't count them.

The biggest problem local fly shops have is the 8% sales tax. Most of the mail order shops are small enough that NY doesn't go after them.
04-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The county I live in has 17 trout streams and it's own trout hatchery. There are another 33 trout streams within a 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive. But just 1 fly fishing store for a metro population between 500,000 to 750,000 (depending on which demographer you are asking). There is also a Bass Pro Shop and a Gander Mountain in the area, but I don't count them.

The biggest problem local fly shops have is the 8% sales tax. Most of the mail order shops are small enough that NY doesn't go after them.
That' sad. When I saw Liverpool, NY I wondered how that could be. I've never bought flies or materials by mail. I want to see them. Same for rods or reels, vintage and new. The only thing I've ever got online is a pair of waders, though back in the day I got a fair amount of gear from a catalog outfit in PA. I think we just have a word-of-mouth tradition here about where to fish and where to buy gear. The dealers all fish with us.

Funny how cameras are different.

Our sales tax is 7.625%. If I could buy a car online w/o sales tax I would - but the car dealers have to collect sales tax by the address where you live.
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM - 2 Likes   #409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Pentax has not increased the price but asked dealers to meet a Specific sell price (in this they are no different than other manufacturers) Certainly it means an effective price increase,
Pentax HAS increased the prices. Pedantics on how this was implemented kin the supply chain is irrelevant. The prices have increased period and Pentax are responsible. Ergo: Pentax has increased the prices

04-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #410
Veteran Member

Pentax did not increase the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).
Pentax did increase the manufacturer's effective enforced price (MEEP).

I'm pretty sure we all agree on those two things. I personally don't see why people care about the MSRP, though. I don't recall the exact context but if Ned deflecting the argument by saying Pentax hasn't raised the price... it's pretty shoddy.
04-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #411
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Pentax HAS increased the prices. Pedantics on how this was implemented kin the supply chain is irrelevant. The prices have increased period and Pentax are responsible. Ergo: Pentax has increased the prices
Here in Italy, and most of Europe, they didn't. Still, most of your prices now are cheaper than ours.
04-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't care who did what to prices or the channel, its only a matter of perspective. The price i will pay for a Pentax DA lens has increased in the USA. The price I will pay for a Pentax DA lens in the rest of the world is fundamentally unchanged.

Q.E.D.

04-24-2012, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #413
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Prices Didn't Go Up

Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't

Whew! I'm glad we finally got that settled.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-10-2013 at 08:33 AM.
04-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #414
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't care who did what to prices or the channel, its only a matter of perspective. The price i will pay for a Pentax DA lens has increased in the USA. The price I will pay for a Pentax DA lens in the rest of the world is fundamentally unchanged.

Q.E.D.
I guess that depends on whether the prices went up in the U.K. etc.
04-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #415
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't
Yes they did.
No they didn't

Whew! I'm glad we finally got that settled.

lmao this should have been the thread ender :
04-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #416

It's probably very little consolation to the majority of forum members, but UK-based Pentax customers are about to share some of this ongoing price rise misery. European prices have always been higher than those in the USA, as you probably know, and this pattern will continue for the foreseeable future. To confirm the point, I ordered the last remaining copy in stock of the Pentax 21mm f3.2 Limited lens yesterday afternoon from the largest Pentax retailer in the country. It was listed online as £395 plus postage (around $632). I was reliably informed that replacement stock would retail for £499 (approximately $799) and that prompted my decision to buy. The salesperson wasn't lying to me, because later the same day the revised £499 retail price was being quoted on the retailer's own website.

My advice to Pentax owners in the UK would be to make your move for any wish list lenses very soon, before current stocks run out. And seriously my American friends, how would you feel about paying nearly $800 for a 21mm f3.2 lens, Limited or otherwise? Luckily for you, you won't have to. For the time being, at any rate.
04-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #417
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
And seriously my American friends, how would you feel about paying nearly $800 for a 21mm f3.2 lens, Limited or otherwise? Luckily for you, you won't have to. For the time being, at any rate.
I tell ya, I wouldn't like it. Luckily for me - I won't have to - ever. Some things just aren't worth the cost. That lens for $800 seems like 1 of those things.
04-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #418
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
I tell ya, I wouldn't like it. Luckily for me - I won't have to - ever. Some things just aren't worth the cost. That lens for $800 seems like 1 of those things.
worst part is the lack of 20/21 options, but at that pricing I would opt for the Sigma 20 1.8. Faster and cheaper BUT HUGE
04-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #419
Inactive Account

I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. I asked that because so many members are discouraging other members from negative comments about Ned's statement, and using the term "we" when talking about Pentax. Protecting Ned won't help Pentax. He's a big boy and can handle himself.My opinion is that Ned's statement was bound to stir up many negative feelings based upon repeated experience. If there is one thing I'm sure of, it's that positive ACTION by Pentax will receive positive response.
04-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #420
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
I use my DA 21 ltd a lot and like it. I never would have paid $800 for it though.

Last edited by Blue; 04-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.