Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #466
Veteran Member

Dunno, it seems like Pentax has just gone from 70% of the market for additional lenses to 20%.

Pentax is/is going to lower prices but still, it looks like Pentax is after a smaller % of the extra-lens market. Tamron and Sigma are eyeing the market (and the recent increase in k-mount lens sales) closely.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 04-26-2012 at 03:48 PM.
04-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Dunno, it seems like Pentax has just gone from 70% of the market for additional lenses to 20%.

Pentax is/is going to lower prices but still, it looks like Pentax is after a smaller % of the market. Tamron and Sigma are eyeing the market (and the recent increase in k-mount lens sales) closely.
????????????????????
04-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #468
Veteran Member

Sorry, I had edited that and somehow dropped the 'extraneous lens' part. It's fixed now.
04-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #469
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greeneg Quote
My problem is that I was sort of hoping that they (Tamron), Sigma, and even Tokina, might view the Pentax market as an opportunity. I guess that they all figure that it's too small to make it worthwhile. Another argument for the Canikon people.......

Ed
To be honest, if running Sigma, Tamron or Tokina lenses was my main goal, I personally would be running Nikon bodies. Pentax glass and Legacy glass is why I got my digital bodies. On top of that, there are several of the Pentax lenses available in a Tokina version. When I got my digital bodies, I was running Pentax film bodies an Nikon digital bodies and I also had Canon film setup specifically for macro. Over the past 5 years, I basically consolidated all that under the Pentax flag. However, I still have the Canon macro film setup. That doesn't include my 67.

04-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #470
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exceptions can always be made....

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax glass and Legacy glass is why I got my digital bodies. .

Exceptions to the rule! ^^

04-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #471
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Those aren't really exceptions since they come in Nikon mount. I actually had one of those in k-mount until it had a stuck diaphragm and repair of the lens plus what I got for the sale of the disabled lens funded a new Sigma 105mm EX DG macro. They fall under the Tokina/Tamron rule. With my Tamron SP 180/2.5 I can use on my Canon EOS film body, old Nikon 70s or any of my Pentax bodies. I actually have an authentic Tamron EOS adpatall II mouint as well as Nikon, PK/A, and various m42 adaptall II mounts. That said, I know what you are getting at. I consider all m42 lenses to fall under the Legacy umbrella.
04-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #472
Site Supporter

Those aren't really exceptions since they come in Nikon mount. You don't have to run Pentax to get one. I actually had one of those in k-mount until it had a stuck diaphragm and repair of the lens plus what I got for the sale of the disabled lens funded a new Sigma 105mm EX DG macro. They fall under the Tokina/Tamron rule. With my Tamron SP 180/2.5 I can use on my Canon EOS film body, old Nikon 70s or any of my Pentax bodies. I actually have an authentic Tamron EOS adpatall II mouint as well as Nikon, PK/A, and various m42 adaptall II mounts. That said, I know what you are getting at. I consider all m42 lenses to fall under the Legacy umbrella.

Edit: In fact, one of my Tammy 90mm macro lenses is on my EOS film body. Hysterical I have thought about selling that Tamron EOS adaptall II mount as well as the authentic Canon FD to EOS macro adapter.

Last edited by Blue; 04-26-2012 at 08:14 PM.
04-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #473
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Those aren't really exceptions since they come in Nikon mount.
You're right, the Dine does, but the Cosina 55 f/1.2 does not.

04-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #474
Site Supporter

You're right, the Dine does, but the Cosina 55 f/1.2 does not.

That Cosina by itself isn't a compelling argument by itself to run a Pentax digital body. However, the addition of A 50/1.2, FA 77 ltd and others is an argument. Plus there is a bunch of m42 lenses such as the various version of the Tomioka 55/1.2. That Cosina is based off and early Tomioka design 55/1.2.
04-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #475
Pentaxian

Cosina 50/1.2? *Drool*!

I have a 50/1.8 (see avatar!) which is also a very fine lens.
04-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #476
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Pentax HAS increased the prices. Pedantics on how this was implemented kin the supply chain is irrelevant. The prices have increased period and Pentax are responsible. Ergo: Pentax has increased the prices
Thank you for some clarity.

Pentax have raised prices.

Some of these prices are higher than competitors with better warranties.

I bought into Pentax not for price, but I'll move out for their lack of interest to keep me in. Photokina or bust.

I'm a contrarian, but I also like an easy life. Right now, Pentax doesn't make sense.

If my wife knew or cared about my camera purchases, Pentax wouldn't be on the list. And that's with a salesman in the house.
04-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #477
Forum Member

The explanation is trying to convince us that "good retailing channel" equals to "good retailing store relationship".

any one heard of the story of DELL's success must find this blog article rediculous.

It doesn't hurt me though, the price of Lens that I own has 2000+ more value than before. I am cashing in and changing to Sony.
04-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #478
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Cosina 50/1.2? *Drool*!

I have a 50/1.8 (see avatar!) which is also a very fine lens.
Pentax A 50/1.2 is an even bigger droooool
04-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #479
Veteran Member

"Lens prices and our channel strategy in the U.S. - Ned Responses"

Just visited J&R in NYC today. I bought a few of my Pentax lenses there back in days.
This store is probably third biggest photo/electronic retailer in NYC, used to have Pentax display. Not big, a few bodies 5-7 different lenses.
It is gone now, looks like brilliant strategy of raising prices is working.

Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung, Olympus are all there, but not Pentax.
04-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #480
Pentaxian

Are you absolutely certain it's because of this UPP, that they're gone? They were selling them, but then poof! - gone, same day as the UPP or what?