Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #226

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
On an old manual camera: a necessity.

On a modern camera: a silly anachronism.
I agree. I don't find that the K-5/7's amount of buttons is overboard, and I guess I just don't see why you'd want less, on an advanced camera marketed towards very experienced users. For one, it'd be a completely different interface that they would have to learn to adjust to, and secondly, you then have all three controls that must be adjusted by the same hand separately, instead of simply turning a wheel that your finger/thumb is right next to anyway. It seems like it would be easy to adjust the wrong thing with three concentric dials very close together, and slower to adjust considering your left thumb/forefinger have to do all of the adjusting.

Also, with longer lenses that need to be supported further from the camera body, this makes even simple adjustments very cumbersome, where the digital wheels are still simple as pie... er.. if pie is simple, that is.

04-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Less buttons and wheels doesn't mean less control. An aperture ring on the lens, a ring for ISO and a ring for shutter on the camera are all what you need, set all of the three to A and you have total program, set aperture and scuter to A and you have SV, set ISO and Aperture to A and you have TV, set ISO and scuter to A and you have AV.
Exposure comp, green button, flash comp, brew strength, etc.?
04-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #228

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
04-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #229
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
brew strength, etc.?
Of course, that has to be taken into consideration. I agree!

04-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #230
Veteran Member

For the exposure compensation you can have a coaxial lever on the ISO wheel, like in old time. Flash compensation on the external flash, I don't think this kind of camera could have an internal flash like an entry level.
04-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #231
Inactive Account

Pentax croatia commented on their facebook page that they expect the K5 succesor to be out at the end of this year
04-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #232

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
Pentax croatia commented on their facebook page that they expect the K5 succesor to be out at the end of this year
Is there a link you could post?

04-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I would certainly hope so, although it's good to hear it from the source; thanks!
04-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #234
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zaphodmonster Quote
Is there a link you could post?
dont really know how to link a facebook post, but this is their FB page https://www.facebook.com/pentax.cro

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Well I would certainly hope so, although it's good to hear it from the source; thanks!
dont take it as anything official, they may be speculating themselves. it is a pretty safe bet
04-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
On an old manual camera: a necessity.

On a modern camera: a silly anachronism.
Maybe. But it's still the quickest way to adjust aperture. IMHO.
04-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alstauffer Quote
I agree. I don't find that the K-5/7's amount of buttons is overboard, and I guess I just don't see why you'd want less, on an advanced camera marketed towards very experienced users. For one, it'd be a completely different interface that they would have to learn to adjust to, and secondly, you then have all three controls that must be adjusted by the same hand separately, instead of simply turning a wheel that your finger/thumb is right next to anyway. It seems like it would be easy to adjust the wrong thing with three concentric dials very close together, and slower to adjust considering your left thumb/forefinger have to do all of the adjusting.
I didn't say three concentric wheels. Aperture on lens to be controlled with the left hand that support the lens. Shutter on the right hand, it could be a thumb wheel. ISO can be coaxial or not, but be controlled by the index finger (or the other way around). It' better than now, that we have three paramenters to be controlled by just two commands.

Anyway, my point is that a full frame with vintage look and straightforward old style commands could be put on the market tomorrow with the three FA limited, and presented like something special that isn't lacking a proper system, just like the Fuji X-1 Pro. Then in time they could build a new line of FF lenses, and then a FF camera for sport and action, with modern small wheeled commands.
04-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #237
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I didn't say three concentric wheels. Aperture on lens to be controlled with the left hand that support the lens. Shutter on the right hand, it could be a thumb wheel. ISO can be coaxial or not, but be controlled by the index finger (or the other way around). It' better than now, that we have three paramenters to be controlled by just two commands.
Or by a second wheel on the back 'à la Canon' for ISO, moved by the thumb. Takes space though, difficult on a K5 body.
04-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #238
Veteran Member

Anyway, my point is that a full frame with vintage look and straightforward old style commands could be put on the market tomorrow with the three FA limited, and presented like something special that isn't lacking a proper system, just like the Fuji X-1 Pro. Then in time they could build a new line of FF lenses, and then a FF camera for sport and action, with modern small wheeled commands.
Ooh, with an uncrippled KAF2 mount! That would be amazing. In a time where Pentax is trying to differentiate itself to get ahead, this would be a great option.
04-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #239

Apologies, then; when you described the shutter and ISO as 'rings' on the camera I pictured rings on the lens-mounting flange, like an aperture ring, not wheels like we have now. That makes more sense, whoops.

Didn't Samsung try to put controls on their NX lenses so there could be fewer buttons on the body? I don't like that, since I'd have to buy all new lenses but its similar to some of the ideas here.
04-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #240
Veteran Member

I think we all expect something, given that it would be 24+ months after the K-5 was announced. The real question is whether there will be a real K-5 successor or instead the beginning of one or two or three new families. I'm betting the latter.