Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I think we all expect something, given that it would be 24+ months after the K-5 was announced
I didn't for a few reasons;
If it was well done to begin with it should have a longer life span then 2 years
The K-5 is still the class leader.
I'm pretty unlikely to buy a new 1500 to who knows for FF body every couple of years. I'm probably in the majority with this?

Now if it has the feature set I want (unlikely) then I'm all over it. Want I want is real support for manual focus and an uncrippled K mount, heck I might even consider FF to get those features.

04-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #242
Pentaxian

Pentax should better move not too slow... before D600 comes (if true)
Nikon Rumored to be Working on an Entry-Level Full-Frame D600
04-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I don't like about Nikon's modeling system is that as time progresses, the boundaries between their models become obscure. Anyway since I'm no Nikon expert, I'll leave N at where they are.

Being very optimistic about Pentax, I want to think that they're doing something so awesome that Nikon has to introduce a 24-mp entry-level SLR and a cheap entry-level Full Frame just to prevent people from going Pentax or lure Pentaxians while Ricoh's not ready to launch yet. lol what am I thinking...
04-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I assume it would use the ageing (but good) 12mp sensor from the D700?

04-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #245
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I assume it would use the ageing (but good) 12mp sensor from the D700?
i'd bet on the 24mp sensor coming in the A99 myself. the 12mp is likely going out of production
04-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i'd bet on the 24mp sensor coming in the A99 myself. the 12mp is likely going out of production
+1 to that. Btw is the NEX 9 coming out at the same time as the A99 (is it coming at all?)? If Pentax manages to make a really compact FF, the NEX 9 may very well turn out to be the most dangerous competitor.
04-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #247
Loyal Site Supporter

If the NEX 9 comes out it will capture a big chunk of the mirrorless potential. you could use your leica lenses on it for waht will probably be less than a third of an m9 price, with better high iso and a video option. it will be a big camera over on RFF
04-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #248
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Want I want is real support for manual focus and an uncrippled K mount, heck I might even consider FF to get those features.
If they give me a full KAF3 uncrippled (I know - that's a contradiction) with K-01 type focus peaking for the times I don't need a VF and for critical focus then I'm all in. I rarely shoot things that move anyway.

04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #249
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Being very optimistic about Pentax, I want to think that they're doing something so awesome that Nikon has to introduce a 24-mp entry-level SLR and a cheap entry-level Full Frame just to prevent people from going Pentax or lure Pentaxians while Ricoh's not ready to launch yet. lol what am I thinking...
The question really is, "how am I thinking?" and the answer is, very astutely. Everyone is going after Canon since thier attention is diverted to SS video.
04-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #250
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The question really is, "how am I thinking?" and the answer is, very astutely. Everyone is going after Canon since thier attention is diverted to SS video.
even without the focus on the video everyone is going after Canon because they are #1 in the market. the most share to be obtained is by taking Canon down a notch or 2. this year it looks like the combined models rumoured from Sony Pentax and Nikon could have a pretty big effect on Canon so I would expect a strong response from them next year. their Sensor tech is currently their weakest point though and that doesn't change over night
04-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
IMHO, Nikon thinks least about Pentax. They think about Canon. They are trying to dominate, not to survive.
04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Nikonrumors now says that expected price of this camera is... $1500. IMHO that effectively means the death of high end APS-C DSLR.

If theses rumours are true, Pentax APS-C DSLR future looks not good at all. Entry level eaten by mirrorless, high end eaten by cheap FF.
04-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #253
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Nikonrumors now says that expected price of this camera is... $1500. IMHO that effectively means the death of high end APS-C DSLR.

If theses rumours are true, Pentax APS-C DSLR future looks not good at all. Entry level eaten by mirrorless, high end eaten by cheap FF.
Cheap FF will probably have some effect on the sales of high end APS-C DSLR's but price isn't everything. Size, weight and weather sealing of a DSLR are still important considerations for me and perhaps fore more people like me? I don't want to take a big Full Frame camera with me on a fishing&hiking trip...
04-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #254
Veteran Member

There's not a lot of reason a ff camera needs to be bigger than a K-5. There's not a lot of reason it needs to be heavier. The lenses can be heavier and can be lighter depending on whether you're talking wide angle or telephoto and whether you believe in equivalence or not.
04-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #255

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote

I'd rather have a K-5, even at $1500, than an 'entry level' full frame. Being Nikon, it probably won't have in-body IS/SR/whatever you want to call it, or an AF motor. *shrugs* I have hope!

I'm also wondering if that $1500 price will climb, like the price of the Subaru BRZ. When it was in development, there were hints that it would be an 'affordable' sporty car, with rumors of a ~$20k price tag. That rose as the release got closer, first $22k, then $23k, etc. It's out now, and the barebones base model is $25.5k, over 25% more than rumored.