Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #406
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Pentax go for a tiny, solid build and you pay a lot for that. Though hopefully the new 50mm f/1.8 will give Pentax a good cheap 50 for people to get hooked on. I just hope it doesn't feel like the Canon 50mm f/1.8.
I guess it feels like the DA35/2.4. I.e. pretty plasticky, but better than that Canon.

05-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #407
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,249
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
About the expensive nikon glass thing... Don't they have cheap F1.8G lenses ready for FF?

28mm f1.8g vs FA 31mm f1.8
50mm f1.8g vs FA 43mm f1.9
85mm f1.8g vs FA 77mm f1.8
It's absolutely different lenses.
No any possibility to compare....
05-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #408
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 488
I hated the k7 & k5 both. But? After doing some digging I think Ricoh is going to be the bright light in Pentax future. I was going to sell everything and good rid-dens. But if the k5 replacement is going to be using the new Sony crop sensor. I may be back in? This time out I will wait a good 6-12 months and after the dust settles and Faulk has a chance to check the AF module or algorithms and make sure the AF is a least going to work in low light and with consistent results. And all the other QC issues are settled.

I think AF-C is really too much to ask for so soon but who knows.
At present I use the 7D and love it. But Canon is behind Sony in Sensor Development and I have Pentax lenses so I am going to wait, but not holding my breath.
05-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #409
Senior Member
Kryscendo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 223
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's wrong. Even the term AA filter is technically wrong.

What happens is a necessary spreading of color information prior to Bayer filtering. If not done, color information is destroyed forever and cannot be recovered. It can't be done electronically to the raw data either because a red sensel cannot capture the information of a blue sensel.

What people call moiré pattern actually is a so-called false color moiré pattern. Sensors with a microlens array produce no classical moiré artefact.

All you can do is to try to detect the false color moiré pattern after the fact and desaturate it. However, this step desaturates parts of the image and destroys detail too.
So what is the proper solution?

I know PS CS6 has a brush that can 'paint away' the moire effect, and it does desaturate the image, but then you just go back in, and saturate it back up.

05-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #410
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,260
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I hated the k7 & k5 both.
Wow, so much love there...
05-07-2012, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #411
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I hated the k7 & k5 both. But?
I hope that a K-3 will use this body again for the next two years with an aps-c sensor. My hands are used to holding that little machine (since july 2009).
05-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #412
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I hope that a K-3 will use this body again for the next two years with an aps-c sensor. My hands are used to holding that little machine (since july 2009).
I hope they keep it too, continuity in accessories is nice. and though i struggled at the beginning moving from the K10, that was short lived and i love the form factor now, both with and without the grip
05-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #413
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I hope they keep it too, continuity in accessories is nice. and though i struggled at the beginning moving from the K10, that was short lived and i love the form factor now, both with and without the grip
That's why I would like a full frame camera with the same body, but integrated grip to give room for electronics!

05-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #414
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,230
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's absolutely different lenses.
No any possibility to compare....
Very true. The FA limiteds are very high quality that is not judgable purely from their maximum aperture. It is more than just difference in build (which is there as well), but also rendering, both of subject and out of focus areas. Those other lenses are consumer grade lenses that are fine, but not the same at all.
05-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #415
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That's why I would like a full frame camera with the same body, but integrated grip to give room for electronics!
I like the ergonomics too, but I don't want the integrated grip. I'd rather have a slightly wider body or something for FF if more volume is necessary.
05-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #416
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I like the ergonomics too, but I don't want the integrated grip. I'd rather have a slightly wider body or something for FF if more volume is necessary.
+1 to that! I would never buy a grip since I love to hold the camera like I hold it in my avatar picture - with the left hand under the camera.
05-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #417
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's wrong. Even the term AA filter is technically wrong.

What happens is a necessary spreading of color information prior to Bayer filtering. If not done, color information is destroyed forever and cannot be recovered. It can't be done electronically to the raw data either because a red sensel cannot capture the information of a blue sensel.

What people call moiré pattern actually is a so-called false color moiré pattern. Sensors with a microlens array produce no classical moiré artefact.

All you can do is to try to detect the false color moiré pattern after the fact and desaturate it. However, this step desaturates parts of the image and destroys detail too.
Sony should emulate the 6×6 array Fujifilm uses in their X-Pro 1. I used the camera for 3 weeks of solid shooting and never encountered anything in the real world which was a problem. (I didn't do any contrived tests, though.)

Presumably the pattern is protected by patents; it's probably worthwhile to just sigh and license 'em.
05-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #418
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
I don't know anything about the fujifilm array but many non-Bayer patterns are pretty old and are in the public domain. The Bayer pattern itself was patented 36 years ago and was public domain before digital cameras were popular.

Personally I'd prefer the panchromatic stuff that Kodak introduced (but perhaps never implemented?) a while back.
05-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #419
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Sony should emulate the 6×6 array Fujifilm uses in their X-Pro 1. I used the camera for 3 weeks of solid shooting and never encountered anything in the real world which was a problem. (I didn't do any contrived tests, though.)

Presumably the pattern is protected by patents; it's probably worthwhile to just sigh and license 'em.
I looked at the Fuji pattern and I don't think it is superior. It has its own pro and cons.

Not seeing moiré w/o an AA filter is the norm. I can tell you from experience. But it depends on the kind of your photography. If you shoot many fabrics your experience might differ.
05-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #420
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I hated the k7 & k5 both. But? After doing some digging I think Ricoh is going to be the bright light in Pentax future. I was going to sell everything and good rid-dens. But if the k5 replacement is going to be using the new Sony crop sensor. I may be back in? This time out I will wait a good 6-12 months and after the dust settles and Faulk has a chance to check the AF module or algorithms and make sure the AF is a least going to work in low light and with consistent results. And all the other QC issues are settled.

I think AF-C is really too much to ask for so soon but who knows.
At present I use the 7D and love it. But Canon is behind Sony in Sensor Development and I have Pentax lenses so I am going to wait, but not holding my breath.
How in hell can you 'hate' a K5?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
consumer, dslr, electronics, expo, ff, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-ricoh, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change Photo Copyright info on a K7 mad editor Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 03-08-2012 06:49 PM
New to the Forum and the world of DSLR tehmole Welcomes and Introductions 2 02-15-2011 08:17 PM
Software not understanding Pentax photo rotation info klh Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 12-13-2009 07:35 PM
Awesome Photo Essay of Russia deadwolfbones General Talk 7 05-06-2009 03:08 PM
New To Forum and DSLR But Not Pentax- First From Raw. Mythmaker Post Your Photos! 10 11-17-2008 01:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top