Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I hated the k7 & k5 both. But? After doing some digging I think Ricoh is going to be the bright light in Pentax future.
Something about the body that the performance can't deliver? Well, we all have our gripes...

BTW, May is on its second week now, I wonder if Pentax is going to make any announcement on anything, be the DA50 f1.8 or the K-r replacement? Any new rumor/news?

05-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #422
Pentaxian

They can't deliver... what exactly? As a K-5 owner, I'd like to know
05-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #423
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They can't deliver... what exactly? As a K-5 owner, I'd like to know
I don't know about garyk, but the first time I tested a K-5 with my card inside, I knew I have to get one soon enough.
05-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #424
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same for me. I had the K20, when I got to handle a K-7, it was instant love. I forced myself not to buy one, as usually I buy the camera when its model goes out of production, to save some money, but then I had to buy the K-5 as soon as it was out, because now it was great handling and great specs, too. And now I have two K-5...

05-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #425

Me too :-)

I was a "Medium-Format Film ONLY" Photographer until I held the K-5+DBG4 in my hands.

I was actually looking for a K-7 because I read it operated similar to the rumoured 645D that I was planning on buying as soon as it was available.

Believe it or not, I found a real camera store only 160 miles away that stocked Pentax. I stopped in to have a hands-on and ended up buying on the spot.

I've NEVER taken to a camera instantly like that before.
05-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #426
Veteran Member

When I first picked up my k-7 I instantly fell in love. Everything was where I wanted it to be. I was doubly when I heard how quiet the shutter was. That camera has been through a lot now and gets carried and used daily. Its truly a workhorse and a tank. It just keeps clicking. I've read of shutters hitting a million so I quit paying attention to the shutter count. Its climbing fast though. Those bodies are perfection in terms of handling. I've used canons and nikons and I don't like either in comparison. Same goes for all the panny cameras I've used. Dunno about nikon. My next buy is probably a used k-5 when people start dumping bodies for the latest and greatest. 16mp with good iso performance would be perfect for me. These aps sensors really push the lenses anyways. I'm really hoping I have a full frame option in the future.....lol.....of course I would almost give a kidney for a 645d.
05-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #427
Zou

Hmm - for me the K-5 is a great camera that just doesn't feel right to me. I've small hands but find a 645NII handles so much better. Hard to explain but each to their own. The K-5 still feels much better than just about everything else out there at the moment.

05-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #428
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zou Quote
Hmm - for me the K-5 is a great camera that just doesn't feel right to me. I've small hands but find a 645NII handles so much better. Hard to explain but each to their own. The K-5 still feels much better than just about everything else out there at the moment.
I can see how someone that like the way the 645NII handles wouldn't like the way the K-5 feels and vice versa. I preferred the 67 over the 645. Unfortunately, it never made it to the AF world or digital.
05-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #429
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's wrong. Even the term AA filter is technically wrong.

What happens is a necessary spreading of color information prior to Bayer filtering. If not done, color information is destroyed forever and cannot be recovered. It can't be done electronically to the raw data either because a red sensel cannot capture the information of a blue sensel.

What people call moiré pattern actually is a so-called false color moiré pattern. Sensors with a microlens array produce no classical moiré artefact.

All you can do is to try to detect the false color moiré pattern after the fact and desaturate it. However, this step desaturates parts of the image and destroys detail too.
Ok, but what was done to this camera then?
Nikon D200HR
Sorry, just trying to understand this.

When I saw the results of the D200HR conversion I knew I wanted to have that done to my K5!
05-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #430
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Sorry, just trying to understand this.
They removed the Bayer-AA filter. Everybody calls it AA filter, the site you link to included. But that doesn't change the fact that it isn't an AA filter. They even call it blur filter while the filter (Lithium niobate crystals) doesn't blur (it is birefringent).

What a Bayer-AA filter does though is enlarge the effective blur radius of the microlenses.
05-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #431
Veteran Member

They removed the Bayer-AA filter. Everybody calls it AA filter, the site you link to included. But that doesn't change the fact that it isn't an AA filter. They even call it blur filter while the filter (Lithium niobate crystals) doesn't blur (it is birefringent).

What a Bayer-AA filter does though is enlarge the effective blur radius of the microlenses.
Ok clear, thank you!

Strange though, even the guys at photozone just call it a AA filter. Here's the thread that concluded that the removal of the K5 Bayer-AA filter makes it unusable:
Photozone - Pentax K5 tests -
05-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #432
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
even the guys at photozone just call it a AA filter
Everybody calls it AA filter
(but it doesn't turn it true (some call it low pass filter which is still incorrect))
05-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #433
Veteran Member

You really must control yourself, Falk. If you keep up this type of discussion, you'll damage the Internet evangelists' belief that Fact and Truth can be crowd-sourced.
05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #434
Veteran Member

I'm bored of looking at this thread over and over We could really do with a new credible rumour.

I've actually started going on bike rides and photographing landscapes and nature for hours because of the lack of Pentax news.
05-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #435
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember folks that the forum has the feature that enables you to customise which subfora to ignore and not even show up on your search lists. A highly recommended feature.