Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,969
The main news - Pentax-Ricoh will offer FOUR DSLR till March, 2013.
1. Low-end
2. Between K-r and K-5
3. K-5's replacement
and....
4. Please, don't sell old K-mount FF lenses....


A "replacement" for the K5:

At 24 megapixels, will this be "enough" to switch from my K5 I wonder !?
Of course, if Pentax (Ricoh) adds a few corrections to the existing flagship, it would be tempting.
Things like:
improved AF for tracking BIF (which I do a lot of),
ability to crop without the loss of details (which I often do for far away "targets"), therefore 24 MP's would help, I think ?
a brighter viewfinder maybe?
faster and bigger buffer ?
an extra slots for an additional SD card ?

These has been "wanted" for quite some time from a lot of us here but, since the K5 is actually one heck of a camera, it'd better be much, much more improved for wanting a switch.
Interesting though.

For those who want an FF camera, maybe that is what is cooking out there too, who knows?

We'll see what happens, hopefully soon.
Any hints about the "upcoming" 560 lens?

Cheers.

JP

04-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #47
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Actually I gave you the Pentax Canada info I think (I'm not always an A**hole lol)
Did I ever say "always"? I did/do appreciate that tip as it, in a weird way, led to me getting mine which has made all the difference in the world.
04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #48
Veteran Member
MrPetkus's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 388
I'm most excited by the prospect of a K5 replacement. I've been very satisfied with the K5. But to echo others here, I'm game for:
- 24MP Sony
- Support for SDXC UHS-I (dual would be extra nice)
- New PRIME (III) and bigger buffer
- Updated SAFOX AF - more AF points
- Focus Peaking

I'd buy this right away. Pentax has some steep competition now. The "entry-level" Nikon 3200 announced today is a little monster. Which means the forthcoming 300s replacement will be outrageous. As for Canon, their APS-C lineup is getting long-in-the-tooth.

And a new flash system please. If I had a choice between a new line of Pentax flashes on par with the new Canon 600 or Nikon SB910 or a FF Pentax in the next 12 months, I'd take the flash.
04-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #49
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
I'm most excited by the prospect of a K5 replacement. I've been very satisfied with the K5. But to echo others here, I'm game for:
- 24MP Sony
- Support for SDXC UHS-I (dual would be extra nice)
- New PRIME (III) and bigger buffer
- Updated SAFOX AF - more AF points
- Focus Peaking

I'd buy this right away. Pentax has some steep competition now. The "entry-level" Nikon 3200 announced today is a little monster. Which means the forthcoming 300s replacement will be outrageous. As for Canon, their APS-C lineup is getting long-in-the-tooth.

And a new flash system please. If I had a choice between a new line of Pentax flashes on par with the new Canon 600 or Nikon SB910 or a FF Pentax in the next 12 months, I'd take the flash.
Ditto here. Might not buy right away but those would be all the right moves to support Pentax going forward in an effective way to compete with those other two.

04-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #50
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 449
Geez. I wish someone could do a proper translation. I'm almost tempted to sign up for that forum and stupidly ask in english. 4 dslrs would be huge and coupled with the k-01 and Q (is ricoh thinking of a cheap Q based gxr? Probably imo) would make for a much nicer lineup than just a k-r successor and k-5 mkii. People are buying more dslrs imo, because they are approaching the price (and beating) m43 and high end p&s (pos until recently). They need the q to come down in price to into the same class sensors. Why buy that when you could go m43 and get far better iq for less? A cheap q mount camera would be something they could try pushing. It seems to be working for nikon.

Imo they should have taken all their money and doubled the r&d on the k-01 and maybe some new lenses. I can see a consumer approach for the q and I would bet money ricoh cared more about that mount than the kmount given their recent approaches to camera design. They wanted to get back into dslrs for a long time, so the real question in my mind is this: do they want to focus on professional cameras or prosumer mirrorless designs like the gxr? The leica module is interesting though I must admit. Also the new fuji design might take the best aspects of both worlds. I dunno about the rangefinder ovf though. I personally was never a fan. I have a lot of hope that rocoh made pentax in charge of its imaging department. They could have easily canibilized the company and taken what tech they wanted from the corpse.

I think it might be an interesting year. We will start to see what road they are going to take. As long as they make nice rugged cameras with nice 100% viewfinders that I can still use my old primes on, I'm sold. Some more interesting lenses would be nice to have something worth saving up for as well. Fast wide angle zoom comes to mind....as well as a decent 28-135. I still love my k-7 and I get nice comments on my pictures every day, so for what I shoot the system is good enough for me, but I'm not shooting footall or car races either.

Dslrs these days are amazing. Unless you are constantly printing poster sized prints, you are going to get good results if you know what you are doing. I love the k7 bodies so I was sold. I love pentax glass. I will be sad if they go away, but I'm sure I could use my glass on a mirrorless camera or something. Or just switch systems. Sorry I'm rambling. I hope half of this is true. Wish I knew if they were emphasizing crop lenses or ff lenses in the lineup. That's the most confusing part.

Sorry for any typos. Edited to make readable....
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #51
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 26
At first I was excited but then I realized it's by march 2013,and that's a year away... wasn't it obvious they'd have new dslrs by then?
04-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #52
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by mrnotwo Quote
At first I was excited but then I realized it's by march 2013,and that's a year away... wasn't it obvious they'd have new dslrs by then?
Yes, but under Hoya it would have likely been two: K-z and K-3, with Ricoh it looks like we might be getting four: a K-z, K-5n, K-3, and K-FF.
04-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It doesn't have to 'add any value' for you personally - getting into Target makes the brand and it's DSLRs incredibly visible at the consumer/street level. Even if folks don't buy at Target, they end up handling the bodies and forming ideas about what vendors are viable. A B&M presence is part of a longer term strategy to build brand awareness and legitimacy. (and btw, people do buy DSLRs at Target, I've witnessed it more than once, and I constantly see people shooting the bodies at the display.)

I think a lot of folks need to look at Ricoh's recent moves from two different perspectives - 1) what do they mean for me, and 2) what do they mean for the long-term viability of the Pentax Imaging division.

If you look far enough out, those two things meet.

.
Handle at Target so one can buy elsewhere?? That's exactly what's been killing the B&M retailers and exactly what Pentax is trying to rectify.

But I get your point about market exposure. Please remember, though, that Target doesn't have much interest in helping Pentax sell through some other channel. Handling isn't particularly profitable ....

04-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #54
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Corfu, Greece
Photos: Albums
Posts: 92
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The main news - Pentax-Ricoh will offer FOUR DSLR till March, 2013.
1. Low-end
2. Between K-r and K-5
3. K-5's replacement
and....
4. Please, don't sell old K-mount FF lenses....

JP
Please please please let #4 be a FF!!!!
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #55
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Handle at Target so one can buy elsewhere?? That's exactly what's been killing the B&M retailers and exactly what Pentax is trying to rectify.

But I get your point about market exposure. Please remember, though, that Target doesn't have much interest in helping Pentax sell through some other channel. Handling isn't particularly profitable ....
The unilateral pricing strategy is designed to lessen that, but from Pentax's perspective they gain a lot by making the product visible and putting it in folk's hands (and minds.)

Before the unilateral pricing, a Target had little reason to carry Pentax - now they have more reason.
04-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #56
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The unilateral pricing strategy is designed to lessen that, but from Pentax's perspective they gain a lot by making the product visible and putting it in folk's hands (and minds.)

Before the unilateral pricing, a Target had little reason to carry Pentax - now they have more reason.
Do you honestly think Target is going to have 50-135, 60-250, 18-135, FA, etc. lenses in stock, or even carry them? The lens pricing has zero to do with the prices for the Pentax bodies or their kits. I can't even imagine a K-5 in a Target given what they have carried over the past 5+ years.
04-19-2012, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,464
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Do you honestly think Target is going to have 50-135, 60-250, 18-135, FA, etc. lenses in stock, or even carry them? The lens pricing has zero to do with the prices for the Pentax bodies or their kits. I can't even imagine a K-5 in a Target given what they have carried over the past 5+ years.
Once more, with feeling:

Getting Pentax DSLRs into Target won't directly help the people on this forum. Nor is it intended to.

Its purpose would be to get entry-level Pentax gear into many, many more hands. An entry level DSLR or mirrorless with one or two kit lenses. That's good for Target (if they can sell enough of this potentially high-margin item), it's good for Pentax (move more volume), and ultimately... it will be good for us.

But only indirectly.
04-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #58
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
Geez. I wish someone could do a proper translation. I'm almost tempted to sign up for that forum and stupidly ask in english.
I definitely won't translate whole their forum, however you can ask me what's not clear to you with google translation
04-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #59
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 26
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Yes, but under Hoya it would have likely been two: K-z and K-3, with Ricoh it looks like we might be getting four: a K-z, K-5n, K-3, and K-FF.
oh that Pentax is expanding the range of DSLRs is the real news here, alrighty.
04-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #60
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Once more, with feeling:

Getting Pentax DSLRs into Target won't directly help the people on this forum. Nor is it intended to.

Its purpose would be to get entry-level Pentax gear into many, many more hands. An entry level DSLR or mirrorless with one or two kit lenses. That's good for Target (if they can sell enough of this potentially high-margin item), it's good for Pentax (move more volume), and ultimately... it will be good for us.

But only indirectly.
Once SLOWLY - I UNDERSTAND. But, if they are not going to carry the lenses why was it necessary to slam the current non-customers with an absurd rise? Target wants that rise? Why?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
consumer, dslr, electronics, expo, ff, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax-ricoh, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change Photo Copyright info on a K7 mad editor Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 03-08-2012 06:49 PM
New to the Forum and the world of DSLR tehmole Welcomes and Introductions 2 02-15-2011 08:17 PM
Software not understanding Pentax photo rotation info klh Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 12-13-2009 07:35 PM
Awesome Photo Essay of Russia deadwolfbones General Talk 7 05-06-2009 03:08 PM
New To Forum and DSLR But Not Pentax- First From Raw. Mythmaker Post Your Photos! 10 11-17-2008 01:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top