Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
...it's going to be orange and yellow with plaid accents...

Cheers,
Cameron
With a name like Cameron, a tartan camera ought to be right up your alley.

04-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the news ogl. I can't tell much from the translation, but if we get 4 dslr's in a year that'll be impressive. Numerous rumors continue to point to a Photokina FF announcement with a release in early 2013...hmmm...
04-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
Inactive Account

BOOM!
thats what I'm talking about!

this is going to be an eventful year
04-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Thanks for the news ogl. I can't tell much from the translation, but if we get 4 dslr's in a year that'll be impressive. Numerous rumors continue to point to a Photokina FF announcement with a release in early 2013...hmmm...
Don't forget about the K-01, not a dslr but still a k-mount camera.

I really don't see an entry level dslr. The K-01 took this place. The K-r replacement will be out soon. Maybe a May announcement. Will it have a range of color options and/or will it be weather-sealed? Most likely will have the guts from the K-01. The K-5 replacement will it be a minor upgrade like the K-5n rumors (sensor/processor upgarde and maybe a swivel screen) or something really above the K-5. FF is always interesting. I do like hearing that the new lenses will be FF. I will most likely buy the FF lenses and then when the FF camera drops in price and all the bugs are worked out of it then buy it. My two K-5 cameras with a K-7 backup are serving me really well for th time being. I would love to see a hydbrid viewfinder so in low light low f-stop shoting I could use the electronic part of the viewfinder and focus peaking to nail the focus.

It just might be an interesting time for Pentax under Ricoh ownership.

Dave

04-19-2012, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Doc at this point I doubt anything is going to add value for you. Will a 5 year lens warranty do it???? how about bi yearly rebates where the 60-250 for instance sells for 1399 after rebate?????

Or is the only thing that will make you happy is a return to the status quo which so obviously wasn't working?

there are enough hints that a number of changes are coming, not everything Pentax does will make everyone happy. In the end the only thing that really matters is does it grow the business. For that we'll be looking at a 1-2 year wait before being able to judge the actions.

Certainly I sympathize with the anger you feel, but since it is obvious that they will not change the plan for at least a few months endlessly ranting about it at this point does nothing but raise stress levels and make you even more unhappy. I know from before this you have a pretty decent Kit and have mostly been pretty level headed. You need to take a breather and go shoot some pictures and get back to why you own a good camera (that's really what we all need to do actually....lenses we don't buy right now will still be there in a few months)

Meanwhile if you need a lens you have the same option many of us did in the past....cross border shop. Prodigital2k has some at lower than US prices for now (heck they have lower than most retailers in Canada - but I have the option to walk into a store and request a price match)
that may not last forever though
Reasonable questions at the beginning of your post, so I'll try (honestly, again) to answer.

Yes, added value (not some HS kid at Target with an entry level camera and maybe, MAYBE, 2 lenses) would make me re-evaluate my position. Also, if those morons at Pentax USA would apologize to ALL OF US for treating us as if we were idiots and saying that we're not their customers. Pentax Japan should be apoplectic over that statement alone from the CEO for the USA because it is a deeply embarrassing and frankly insulting statement that I hope, HOPE, that Ricoh and Pentax Japan do not believe to be true.
  • 5 year warranty - added value for certain. It is part of why I own the Tamron 10-24 instead of the Pentax alternative.
  • Rebates periodically with absurd regular prices - probably not, unless they were instant and did not involve the BS of filling out, cutting out, praying that it was processed correctly, and waiting.
  • Improvements in the lenses that CLEARLY have design and QC defects - absolutely.
  • Actual CS from Pentax USA - definitely
  • Carrying the ENTIRE Pentax line - including accessories that they have in their manuals - a little bit but this is one that is so embarrassing for Pentax USA that they need to fix it no matter what else they do.
  • Better Warranty Service from more locations and with repair parts on hand in 98+% of cases - yes.
The hints from His Holiness Ned are merely BS because of the shitstorm around the internet right now to their high-handed treatment of their current non-customers. They have committed to NOTHING to change this situation. Words from Ned are less than meaningless as evidence over the past 3+ years unequivocally shows. Without a loss of sales, and a significant one, I do not expect any additional concessions or value from Pentax USA because if they had a plan (as we hear incessantly) then they would have rolled those out at the same time TO AVOID this kind of angry response from non-customers.

Thanks for asking, I hope I was clear and not too heated in my response to you.

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.
04-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I really don't see an entry level dslr.
Low-priced, natively connected to the Cloud (or WiFi) - distribution in a 1700-store B&M chain with red as its primary color (to quote a Pentax blogger)

Last edited by monochrome; 04-19-2012 at 11:49 AM.
04-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not especially interested in a FF Pentax, primarily because I've retired some very good FF lenses to build up a set for APS. But I'd welcome an improvement to the K5 - maybe with 24mp, even better noise reduction (really usable @ ISO 12,800) and a tilting, removable screen that could be tethered back to the camera via a cord to the TV/monitor outlet.

04-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I'm not especially interested in a FF Pentax, primarily because I've retired some very good FF lenses to build up a set for APS. But I'd welcome an improvement to the K5 - maybe with 24mp, even better noise reduction (really usable @ ISO 12,800) and a tilting, removable screen that could be tethered back to the camera via a cord to the TV/monitor outlet.
Absolutely with improved flash performance and support and focus peeping!
04-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Reasonable questions at the beginning of your post, so I'll try (honestly, again) to answer.

Yes, added value (not some HS kid at Target with an entry level camera and maybe, MAYBE, 2 lenses) would make me re-evaluate my position. Also, if those morons at Pentax USA would apologize to ALL OF US for treating us as if we were idiots and saying that we're not their customers. Pentax Japan should be apoplectic over that statement alone from the CEO for the USA because it is a deeply embarrassing and frankly insulting statement that I hope, HOPE, that Ricoh and Pentax Japan do not believe to be true.
  • 5 year warranty - added value for certain. It is part of why I own the Tamron 10-24 instead of the Pentax alternative.
  • Rebates periodically with absurd regular prices - probably not, unless they were instant and did not involve the BS of filling out, cutting out, praying that it was processed correctly, and waiting.
  • Improvements in the lenses that CLEARLY have design and QC defects - absolutely.
  • Actual CS from Pentax USA - definitely
  • Carrying the ENTIRE Pentax line - including accessories that they have in their manuals - a little bit but this is one that is so embarrassing for Pentax USA that they need to fix it no matter what else they do.
  • Better Warranty Service from more locations and with repair parts on hand in 98+% of cases - yes.
The hints from His Holiness Ned are merely BS because of the shitstorm around the internet right now to their high-handed treatment of their current non-customers. They have committed to NOTHING to change this situation. Words from Ned are less than meaningless as evidence over the past 3+ years unequivocally shows. Without a loss of sales, and a significant one, I do not expect any additional concessions or value from Pentax USA because if they had a plan (as we hear incessantly) then they would have rolled those out at the same time TO AVOID this kind of angry response from non-customers.

Thanks for asking, I hope I was clear and not too heated in my response to you.

thanks, I think you will see some of it, i wouldn't hold my breath for an apology though

I imagine rebates will be the instant kind, mail in rebates are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. most big dealers have pushed back on those because they create no end of headaches at the store level (believe me I hate mail ins after dealing with computer manufacturers who did everything they could to deny fulfillment

i think the 1st 3 and the warranty are likely, the others are maybes. (though the parts in the manual may be available through parts departments not retail. that is where i got my +3 diopter)
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
thanks, I think you will see some of it, i wouldn't hold my breath for an apology though

I imagine rebates will be the instant kind, mail in rebates are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. most big dealers have pushed back on those because they create no end of headaches at the store level (believe me I hate mail ins after dealing with computer manufacturers who did everything they could to deny fulfillment

i think the 1st 3 and the warranty are likely, the others are maybes. (though the parts in the manual may be available through parts departments not retail. that is where i got my +3 diopter)
I got my -3 diopter from Pentax USA for free, after asking them to buy it and being laughed at, asking B&H here and being told that Pentax USA would not supply it, trying to buy it from an Australian online company only to be told that they could not violate their zone with Pentax, having a nice Canadian (sorry can't recall who) tell me that it was available readily from parts at Pentax Canada and writing them to ask about it. Only when Pentax Canada forwarded my email to Pentax USA did I get a very weird email from the same CS guy that basically laughed at me saying he needed my address. So, as of now Pentax USA isn't even willing to special order stuff that is listed as accessories in their current camera manuals. That's how incompetent Pentax USA has been over the past couple years.
04-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I got my -3 diopter from Pentax USA for free, after asking them to buy it and being laughed at, asking B&H here and being told that Pentax USA would not supply it, trying to buy it from an Australian online company only to be told that they could not violate their zone with Pentax, having a nice Canadian (sorry can't recall who) tell me that it was available readily from parts at Pentax Canada and writing them to ask about it. Only when Pentax Canada forwarded my email to Pentax USA did I get a very weird email from the same CS guy that basically laughed at me saying he needed my address. So, as of now Pentax USA isn't even willing to special order stuff that is listed as accessories in their current camera manuals. That's how incompetent Pentax USA has been over the past couple years.
Actually I gave you the Pentax Canada info I think (I'm not always an A**hole lol)
04-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I find it funny how one expects apologies from "morons"
By the way, did Ned actually said we're not customers? On the contrary, I read things like: "One specific plan we have which will benefit the brand and many of you as customers is to increase availability of Pentax products in retail stores."
04-19-2012, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Target would be a fantastic move

Could be, but how does Target add value to your buying a camera? The HS kids there might know a lot about their cellular phones but about a $1k+ dSLR or its lenses? No, that's not adding any value for me.
It doesn't have to 'add any value' for you personally - getting into Target makes the brand and it's DSLRs incredibly visible at the consumer/street level. Even if folks don't buy at Target, they end up handling the bodies and forming ideas about what vendors are viable. A B&M presence is part of a longer term strategy to build brand awareness and legitimacy. (and btw, people do buy DSLRs at Target, I've witnessed it more than once, and I constantly see people shooting the bodies at the display.)

I think a lot of folks need to look at Ricoh's recent moves from two different perspectives - 1) what do they mean for me, and 2) what do they mean for the long-term viability of the Pentax Imaging division.

If you look far enough out, those two things meet.

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-19-2012 at 12:20 PM.
04-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Great observation - of course from a photographer!
04-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It doesn't have to 'add any value' for you personally - getting into Target makes the brand and it's DSLRs incredibly visible at the consumer/street level. Even if folks don't buy at Target, they end up handling the bodies and forming ideas about what vendors are viable. A B&M presence is part of a longer term strategy to build brand awareness and legitimacy. (and btw, people do buy DSLRs at Target, I've witnessed it more than once, and I constantly see people shooting the bodies at the display.)

I think a lot of folks need to look at Ricoh's recent moves from two different perspectives - 1) what do they mean for me, and 2) what do they mean for the long-term viability of the Pentax Imaging division.

Actually I think it would be great in Target too. And i think by it being a WR lineup it's even better. differentiates itself from canikon entry level and will intrigue anyone who has lost a phone to a bad rain storm

edit. and just think about the numbers for a minute just floorlining it is 1700 units out the door. even if the floorline is done at next to no value it's eventually 1700 new users