Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the MP count of the D800 vs. the 645D's, is the IQ really that close? One is a 36x24 sensor the other is 44x33 that's still a lot of sensor space to differentiate the quality of the image on print. I guess it will come down to glass between those two, though I'm not really sure since I don't shoot MF. But it's just right to reduce its price; it's going to be pretty old tech in a little while, and it seems Pentax is going to release a successor to it in the near future to stay against rising competition vs. 35mm.

btw, anyone think the introductory price for the upcoming K-5 replacement will be higher than competition as the K-5 did during its initial months? Around $1600~1700?

04-21-2012, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
btw, anyone think the introductory price for the upcoming K-5 replacement will be higher than competition as the K-5 did during its initial months? Around $1600~1700?
That's my big fear. If they price the new K-5 replacement at $2000, for me that's to close to a D800 ($3000) and I might as well make the jump to full frame on another brand. I'm doing my best til September, but that is a long way off. The recent price increases has also put a hold on my summer lens purchases. I'm really hoping to see something special at Photokina. Something representative and worthy of the Pentax/Ricoh partnership.

September is so far away......
04-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
That's my big fear. If they price the new K-5 replacement at $2000, for me that's to close to a D800 ($3000) and I might as well make the jump to full frame on another brand. I'm doing my best til September, but that is a long way off. The recent price increases has also put a hold on my summer lens purchases. I'm really hoping to see something special at Photokina. Something representative and worthy of the Pentax/Ricoh partnership.

I think it will depend on how many of the components will be "borrowed" from the K5. I honestly can't see any major adjustment to K5's design that will make it that much better. A tilt screen would be nice, but if they can just fix some of the issues like the lens release button, etc and change to an improved sensor, I say $1400-$1600 would be a fair bet as the initial release price.
04-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #169
Veteran Member

The D800... well it doesn't really seem like it'll go down in price by September (seems more likely it'll go up?), but perhaps a couple of early adopters will sell by then. Er... or maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic for you.

Oh well. Not buying lenses now - and having your used lens value go up - is definitely good for you in the short term bank-account wise at least!

04-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #170

That's my big fear. If they price the new K-5 replacement at $2000, for me that's to close to a D800 ($3000) and I might as well make the jump to full frame on another brand.
+1 to this. Without big value for money that was the K-r and K-5, Pentax doesn't have a leg to stand on with their high end APS-C up against Nikon's latest offerings. Case in point, the scarily affordable pricing of the D800....
04-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #171
Inactive Account

i find their (Nikon) entire 1.8 G line very attractive and priceworthy (it seems) to. Kinda cool to be able to choose between 1.8D/G, 1.4D/G lines. Thats a great bunch of primes there.
04-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
i find their (Nikon) entire 1.8 G line very attractive and priceworthy (it seems) to. Kinda cool to be able to choose between 1.8D/G, 1.4D/G lines. Thats a great bunch of primes there.
Yes, Nikon have been steadlly and stealthily building those up over the past 2-3 years. I noticed the newly announced 28mm f1.8G makes play of weather resistance in the press release, too. And these lenses are FF capable if you choose the right ones, so you are future-proofed for FF. I hope Pentax don't release the successor to the K5 at a top dollar fantasy price because they will be leaving themselves pretty exposed. There is a ceiling on what you can do with APS-C camera prices now, I'd guess. On verra ...

04-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #173
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Yes, Nikon have been steadlly and stealthily building those up over the past 2-3 years. I noticed the newly announced 28mm f1.8G makes play of weather resistance in the press release, too. And these lenses are FF capable if you choose the right ones, so you are future-proofed for FF. I hope Pentax don't release the successor to the K5 at a top dollar fantasy price because they will be leaving themselves pretty exposed. There is a ceiling on what you can do with APS-C camera prices now, I'd guess. On verra ...
Many of the newer G lenses has some sort of sealing i believe
04-22-2012, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #174

Dropping price of K-5 would work.

If they drop the price of the K-5 just a tad....

When they introduce the FF, it could be priced to fall in line at higher than the new K-5, but less than the bloated Nikon D800

Just my thoughts.

Personally, I have worked with Nikons and got fed up with not having the neat functionality that my husband had in his comparably priced Pentax gear. Pentax IQ was/is just as good as Nikon IMO.

I sold all my Nikon gear and went Pentax.Haven't looked back. I was stung with the sensor stain issue, but it was resolved relatively easily. I am considering adding a small piece of tape over the lens release button so if it falls off, I won't lose it completely.

And I love that Pentax seems to offer much more functionality for the price versus Nikon and Canon.

I have my fingers crossed that they are going to offer an affordable Full frame camera somewhere in the next twelve months and I just need to get my hands on a nice FF 35mm lens.

(I came into the Nikon market with a D90 back in August 2009 and when I realized I wanted to go full frame, I looked at the D700. It was waaaaay too expensive for me at the time, and the camera weighed a TON. I believe Pentax will be able to offer a FF in a body which is lighter, weather sealed, and have wonderful features. We shall see!)
04-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #175
Banned

Photos: Albums
One cannot compare much of anything digital to the image sensor size on any medium format camera; there is no comparison.

One could somehow have a 20mp on a mobile phone sized sensor; then a p&s, then a better compact, thena aps-c, then even full frame slr. But it's all trivial when compared to medium format. Remeber it's more the size of the sensor as opposed to the mp of the sensor. Unless one does a lot of telephoto photography which would one rather have if money were no object - an aps-c sensor at 20mp or even a full frame version of the same. I'll take the full frame,and btw guess how much better the results would be??

Last edited by Medium FormatPro; 04-22-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: sp
04-22-2012, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #176
Forum Member

dream gears..

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I would be happy to see 10 new FF lenses because without a lot of new glass the FF camera would make no sense at all.
I think this line of new lenses will be a great start:

14-24mm F2.8
24-70mm F2.8
700-200mm F2.8
135-400mm F3.5
35mm F1.4
55mm F1.4 II
85mm F1.4
135mm F2
300mm F2.8
500mm F5.6
24mm F3.5 tilt/shift lens

and some new accessories:

flash GN60, zoom 18-200 (comparable to Nikon SB910)
flash GN45, zoom 18-135
radio flash trigger
light and sound triggered shutter release
04-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #177
Pentaxian

What makes sense for the next body release is a k-01 with an EVF. IT would be a logical path----seemingly not too difficult given the reports of empty space
inside the K-01, and would provide the salesmen with an upselling option.
04-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
+1 to this. Without big value for money that was the K-r and K-5, Pentax doesn't have a leg to stand on with their high end APS-C up against Nikon's latest offerings. Case in point, the scarily affordable pricing of the D800....
.... Or the price of a new $2100 D700 right now, and the D700 replacement when it appears (not D800,) and the rumours of a new lower-cost FF body from Sony and possibly even Canon...

I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'll repeat again upper-end aps-c DSLR will be pinched by lower-end FF, and lower-end aps-c DSLR will be pinched by mirrorless. Pentax needs a FF body to keep K-mount viable. They will have a harder time selling aps-c DSLRs in 2013 than they did in 2008 - 2011.
04-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote
I think this line of new lenses will be a great start:

and some new accessories:

flash GN60, zoom 18-200 (comparable to Nikon SB910)
flash GN45, zoom 18-135
radio flash trigger
light and sound triggered shutter release

why not full remote control --- so all functions can be operated via an APP on a remote computer or cell phone.
04-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
One cannot compare much of anything digital to the image sensor size on any medium format camera; there is no comparison.
A full frame 35mm camera has 2.32x as much sensor area as the K-5.

The 645D has 1.68x as much sensor area as a full-frame 35mm camera.

As you can see the improvement from going to 645D from full-frame is much smaller than going from the APS-C to full-frame.

I'd prefer a APS-C with a great sensor and a good lens to a full-frame with a cruddy sensor (say, from 2005) and a mediocre lens. I don't think I'm the only one, so although the 645D has it's advantages, to an even greater extent the comparison is going to rely on actual implementation of lens and sensor rather than sensor size itself.