Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #316
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
Now i'm not saying that we shouldn't have a FF option in the line up - i most certainly do think we should, but its for brand health rather than my own wants and needs, but i do worry that the best tech will end up in the full frame and leave us with crippled aps-c as in the nikon and canon line ups
Well luckey us! Pentax is technically such a small firm that we only have one tech, that will appear in 645D, FF and APS-C. The downside is that others sometime have just a notch more tech then we have.

04-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
Now i'm not saying that we shouldn't have a FF option in the line up - i most certainly do think we should, but its for brand health rather than my own wants and needs, but i do worry that the best tech will end up in the full frame and leave us with crippled aps-c as in the nikon and canon line ups
Another problem most people forget about is AF. no, not the thing about competing with Nikon bla bla.
Current AF is often said to be imprecise in the relation between the VF red dot and the actual AF sensor.
Use the same in an FF VF, area will be huge. I hope they won't forget to tune the AF sensors lenses to correct that and rework the AF sensors arrangement.
04-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #318
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
But I have to say I'm happy. If ever was the time for Pentax to make a compact full frame DSLR, it is now. My birthday is in September, I expect some nice announcements then if not, I have my k5 to comfort me I can say that none of the other companies offer the compact lenses I like, so the only company whose full frame camera interests me is Pentax.
Frankly (trying not to resort to wishful thinking), if no replacement came yet, (and one 'K-z' seemingly pushed back) it can only be a good sign. Ricoh getting into it
04-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #319
Veteran Member

was Pentax ready? Because if they aren't, they are going to get caught with their pants down on this iteration of DSLRs.
I guess they are caught with their pants down. But they can always show a mockup at Photokina and release the thing in 2013, half a year late. They can survive that.

The K-01 processor can handle 24MP, Pentax has FF mirrors and prisms, the AF module won't change (i.e., smaller coverage like everybody else does it), the shutter is purchased from Copal and the SR module is easily adapted. Of course, they have to grow some of the body dimensions but overall, the task is easy enough.

04-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #320
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I guess they are caught with their pants down. But they can always show a mockup at Photokina and release the thing in 2013, half a year late. They can survive that.
I agree. Also, I think that a Pentax FF at this point, without the release of (U)WA glass with FF coverage, won't really surve as an atractor of new Pentaxians (at least not a significant number), but as a product that will help stop the spillage of Pentaxians to brands that have FF DSLRs. The only way I see a new Pentax FF DSLR to be really interesting to nonPentaxians is if it is significantly smaller (and by a degree lighter) than the competition (like the K5 was compared to the 7D) + if the DA (the ones that cover FF) & FA limiteds prove to be worthy of the new sensor.
04-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #321

Maybe there are just 3 APS-C DSLR and one mirrorless? Cause there are few FF lens on market now. From my point of view the new FF will not release earlier than 2014
04-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #322
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Matcha Quote
Maybe there are just 3 APS-C DSLR and one mirrorless? Cause there are few FF lens on market now. From my point of view the new FF will not release earlier than 2014
I think there are enough lenses in the Pentax lineup that cover the FF circle. The question is, how good are they on a digital FF DSLR? If they are good, then I think its ok to release the new body without any new lenses at the moment. Standard zooms and a (U)WA prime / zoom can come later. The Fuji X mount has only 3 lenses for it, yet it sells pretty good
delaying the releas of a FF DSLR even more at this point (if the speculation about the D600 turn out true), seems like a dangerous play.

04-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #323

What I am concerning are FF zoom lenses. Obviously it is a blank part on pentax product line. But you are right, if the Pentax FF comes later than D600, it is better that Pentax quits the FF market.

I think there are enough lenses in the Pentax lineup that cover the FF circle. The question is, how good are they on a digital FF DSLR? If they are good, then I think its ok to release the new body without any new lenses at the moment. Standard zooms and a (U)WA prime / zoom can come later. The Fuji X mount has only 3 lenses for it, yet it sells pretty good
delaying the releas of a FF DSLR even more at this point (if the speculation about the D600 turn out true), seems like a dangerous play.
04-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #324
Veteran Member

For some reason I believe they may come up with FF mirror-less (hopefully EVF included) which may become a game changer.
04-29-2012, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #325
Veteran Member

I agree. Also, I think that a Pentax FF at this point, without the release of (U)WA glass with FF coverage, won't really surve as an atractor of new Pentaxians (at least not a significant number), but as a product that will help stop the spillage of Pentaxians to brands that have FF DSLRs. The only way I see a new Pentax FF DSLR to be really interesting to nonPentaxians is if it is significantly smaller (and by a degree lighter) than the competition (like the K5 was compared to the 7D) + if the DA (the ones that cover FF) & FA limiteds prove to be worthy of the new sensor.
Where I live, the "three amigo" FA Limiteds cost GBP £1019, £649 and £779 or a cool £2447 which is USD $3980 at current rates. And prices are slated to rise shortly. Now compare that with the FX 28mm, 50mm and 85mm primes which Nikon have been lining up over the past couple of years and which cost one heck of a lot less (unless you go for their high-end f1.4 nano-everythng series). For Pentax just to produce a body without reworking their lens line up is not good enough, imho. For those without FA glass and not disposed to blow nearly 4K bucks on three primes, a D600 would be very hard to turn down. Issuing an FF DSLR and promising a few lenses for it at a later date is something Hoya might have done but I'd be slightly surprised if Ricoh do that. If Ricoh do issue an FF, I hope they go in with all guns firing and make it clear they mean business. The price of half measures in the past is where we are now.
04-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Where I live, the "three amigo" FA Limiteds cost GBP £1019, £649 and £779 or a cool £2447 which is USD $3980 at current rates. And prices are slated to rise shortly. Now compare that with the FX 28mm, 50mm and 85mm primes which Nikon have been lining up over the past couple of years and which cost one heck of a lot less (unless you go for their high-end f1.4 nano-everythng series). For Pentax just to produce a body without reworking their lens line up is not good enough, imho. For those without FA glass and not disposed to blow nearly 4K bucks on three primes, a D600 would be very hard to turn down. Issuing an FF DSLR and promising a few lenses for it at a later date is something Hoya might have done but I'd be slightly surprised if Ricoh do that. If Ricoh do issue an FF, I hope they go in with all guns firing and make it clear they mean business. The price of half measures in the past is where we are now.
Look at what an APS-C mirrroless like the Fuji X1 Pro does cost, and look at the price of it's three only lenses, and what kind of fan fave that camera has, and you'll can imagine how a full frame mirrorless to be presented alongside the three FA limited could have. Even better if they are used as a base for three NEW lenses, with internal AF motors, wheater sealed and short mount.
04-29-2012, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
For some reason I believe they may come up with FF mirror-less (hopefully EVF included) which may become a game changer.
The FF mirrorless. The camera that managed to kill Pentax. - that would be a game changer, for sure
Uhh... no, thanks - I'd rather like to see a nice, very capable DSLR.
04-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

The K-01 processor can handle 24MP, Pentax has FF mirrors and prisms, the AF module won't change (i.e., smaller coverage like everybody else does it), the shutter is purchased from Copal and the SR module is easily adapted. Of course, they have to grow some of the body dimensions but overall, the task is easy enough.
I'd say it's perfect timing for a completely new AF module when/if going FF.

Their pants can't be more than halfway down. FF getting cheaper can't be a surprise and I suppose they have some kind of insight of the price of FF sensors and an idea of a business model for it.
04-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I'd say it's perfect timing for a completely new AF module when/if going FF.

Their pants can't be more than halfway down. FF getting cheaper can't be a surprise and I suppose they have some kind of insight of the price of FF sensors and an idea of a business model for it.
Of course.

But then again, you'd expect that Pentax's website would advertise the K-01 when it was introduced, though, too.
04-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The FF mirrorless. The camera that managed to kill Pentax. - that would be a game changer, for sure
Uhh... no, thanks - I'd rather like to see a nice, very capable DSLR.
Why so? Would you please elaborate? It looks like K-01 IQ is not bad at all.