Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
junyo being rude and unpleasant doesn't make your arguments any more convincing, quite the contrary in fact.

04-30-2012, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #362
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
What is so stupid about looking at things that maximize the form factor of the K-01, it's not like they are stopping making lenses for the DSLR line, just adding some value to the mirrorless lineup. Not stupid at all IMO. There are loads of holes in the lens and body line to fill after years of neglect by hoya so Ricoh has to evaluate and release across all the lines. If the K-01 isn't the camera for you it doesn't mean they should ignore it. It seems to have found a niche and be producing
Really, not much is known about the alleged lens and it isn't even on the Road Map. At present, it may just be an assimilation of parts from the parts been. However, if it is incompatible with other K-mount bodies, it does seem odd to put a lens out that will FUBAR 99.9% of the k-mount bodies in existence.

QuoteQuote:
QuoteQuote:
Interchangeable K-mount lens for the PETNAX K-01
Model name: to be announced later Product Image
• Super-thin interchangeable lens especially designed for PENTAX K-01
• Market launch: to be decided

Notes:
Model names, designs, specifications and market launch schedules of these products are all tentative and subject to change without notice. Prices of these products will be announced at a later date.
Then again, maybe that is a brilliant marketing strategy.
04-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #363
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Really, not much is known about the alleged lens and it isn't even on the Road Map. At present, it may just be an assimilation of parts from the parts been. However, if it is incompatible with other K-mount bodies, it does seem odd to put a lens out that will FUBAR 99.9% of the k-mount bodies in existence.

Then again, maybe that is a brilliant marketing strategy.
I am sure that if they release such a lens, they will also release a firmware update that would make it impossible to fire the shutter with such a lens in place. It would be a different line with different letters instead of DA (eg MO = Mirrorless Only).

Anyway, with them going mirrorless and keeping the k mount, it was about their only option. I just hope they continue to make cameras and lenses that I am interested in, in the future.
05-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
We can mount our K-mount glass with an adapter to other brands right now, but that doesn't appeal to us.
You can't really mount it to Nikon.

You can't get AF or AE on other brands.

Those are two reasonably big hurdles.

05-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Yes, you can. It just takes some extra glass elements.

I know, point is: Why is that?
05-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #366
Veteran Member

I thought it was clear from saying 'you can't really mount it on Nikon' combined with the disappointing field-of-view and quality of those glass elements... that although it may be physically possible it isn't a very good solution.
05-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #367
Site Supporter

. . .
The thing is, why put an A 50/1.2 lens on a body that requires $1.00 piece of coke bottle glass to turn it into a mediocre 50/1.4 lens?

Those are two reasonably big hurdles.
You can get several lenses from Tokina in Nikon mount that are based on the DA 35/2.8 LTD, DA 10-17mm fisheye, DA* 16-50mm, DA 12-24/4, and D FA 100/2.8 macro. There used to be a couple more. The AT-X M35 Pro Dx currently sells for $299 shipped. The DA 35 LTD is probably my favorite DA lens.

Last edited by Blue; 05-01-2012 at 07:22 AM.
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #368
Veteran Member

The thing is, why put an A 50/1.2 lens on a body that requires $1.00 piece of coke bottle glass to turn it into a mediocre 50/1.4 lens?

You can get several lenses from Tokina in Nikon mount that are based on the DA 35/2.8 LTD, DA 10-17mm fisheye, DA* 16-50mm, DA 12-24/4, and D FA 100/2.8 macro. There used to be a couple more. The AT-X M35 Pro Dx currently sells for $299 shipped. The DA 35 LTD is probably my favorite DA lens.
Yup, I know. Mrs. ElJamoquio was firmly against Nikon until I told her that the 35mm Macro is available on Nikon. Now she's at least willing to consider it, I think.

Honestly I'd probably have money left over if I sold everything on Pentax, but I'd prefer to keep the limited lenses... and you can't mount those on the NIkon.
05-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #369
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yup, I know. Mrs. ElJamoquio was firmly against Nikon until I told her that the 35mm Macro is available on Nikon. Now she's at least willing to consider it, I think.
You told her how big and ugly the Tokina version is ?
05-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
I was responding specifically to the idea that the K01 was for anyone other than the existing Pentax user base, which you apparently agree with. I understand exactly why Pentax did it:
And I'm guy who hates Pentax, mind you. If they asked loyal customer buy an adapter with the camera, screw them, he's going to Nikon.
While Nikon&Canon users would be very happy being forced to buy adapters, in order to use their $$$$$ lenses, right?
"Loyalty" (well, it's not true loyalty - but preferring tools of a specific brand, and having some $$$$ on those - thus wanting continuity) has limits, and it works both ways. I'm "loyal" to Pentax because I like their cameras & lenses, and Pentax is "loyal" to me because they want to keep their (K-mount) customers happy and spending.

And that's why the existing Pentax user base is killing Pentax. As a company, it's long term suicide to survive on the whim of a bunch of people holding on to mountains of glass who want innovative new products at rock bottom prices. Pentax is going to introduce a new FF camera, the prime market for which have been squirreling away lenses for decades, which pretty much insures minor after purchase lens sales. Why exactly?
What on Earth are you talking about? What "whim"? Being happy with the continuation of the K-mount? Buying new K-mount products? And who said anything about "rock bottom prices"? FFS, I've bought the K-5 just after it was introduced, and my most expensive lens is a DA* 60-250 (while also owning few DA Limiteds).
OTOH, you're asking Pentax to completely change their product line, kill the K-mount and become another NEX-making Sony - while not offering any solid reasoning on all those great benefits you seem to believe to exist. I'd rather call this a "whim".

Pentax isn't doing so great at DSLR's, unless 'success' means being a distant 3rd/4th and being so profitable you get sold every couple of years, and can't field a larger than 2 DSLR lineup, excluding your mega upmarket unit, that sells in tiny quantities. Sony, for a failure, has a better higher end camera lineup, actually makes money selling cameras, and makes money every time Pentax or Nikon sells a camera. So yeah, Pentax being Sony would be an upgrade from my prospective.
Pentax suffered from cost cutting and downsized R&D, while being owned by Hoya (this is changing as we speak). They did OK, given the circumstances.
Sony no longer makes DSLRs; their closest thing is the SLT (which could eventually be phased out, but so far it seems well enough supported). And their camera division is not the one making sensors, FYI.

Again, this forum sometime verges on being a piece of performance art. I want Pentax that steals customers from other brands and is available everywhere. I want a Pentax that moves units by the boatload. And making niche products for a limited audience and then trying to mass market them isn't how any of that happens. Now back to your regularly scheduled jerking off about how Pentax's 5% and lack of retail outlets has Canikon running scared and how a 150MP FF (M42 mount, yay!) is being released tomorrow.
It seems you only want a cheaper NEX, otherwise you'll be already gone in the Sony camp (since that's The Way). However, spilling rude strawmans on this forum won't help a bit.
05-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Quiet!
05-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #372
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
She could get 2 of the Tokina version and have $100 left over relative to the current price of the DA 35mm/2.8 LTD. wowcb
05-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #373
Pentaxian

Why would anyone want not one, but two of those ugly things?
05-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #374
Veteran Member

She could get 2 of the Tokina version and have $100 left over relative to the current price of the DA 35mm/2.8 LTD. :wowcb:
Obviously, the Tokina version hasn't been sprinkled with fairy dust.
05-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #375
Site Supporter

Obviously, the Tokina version hasn't been sprinkled with fairy dust.
It could be that Hoya kept the dust or it left with Hirakawa Jun. Beer