Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Whatever sensor they do go for, Pentax seem to have a good record at getting the best from it.
Absolutely. They have some valuable alchemists there. Remarkable how Pentax coax better performance from sensors than Nikon or Sony are able to.

The 24MP D3200 does seem to change the landscape though. I would imagine it's the NEX-7 sensor, in something half the price.

What are Nikon going to do with the D5100 and D7000 replacements??

I would imagine Pentax have some clue as to Nikon's activities in discussions with Sony on sensor orders placements, monthly output and quantities available. Let's hope that what they bring out next can compete. I'd prefer less MP, and more DR. Oh, and isn't it time for a hinged display?

04-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Absolutely. They have some valuable alchemists there. Remarkable how Pentax coax better performance from sensors than Nikon or Sony are able to.

The 24MP D3200 does seem to change the landscape though. I would imagine it's the NEX-7 sensor, in something half the price.

What are Nikon going to do with the D5100 and D7000 replacements??

I would imagine Pentax have some clue as to Nikon's activities in discussions with Sony on sensor orders placements, monthly output and quantities available. Let's hope that what they bring out next can compete. I'd prefer less MP, and more DR. Oh, and isn't it time for a hinged display?
Maybe they don't plan a D5200 per se. Didn't the D5100 have the same sensor as the D7000 had? It wouldn't be too surprising to see the K-r replacement have WR and the K-5 sensor and a K-5 replacement with this 24mp sensor with Pentax's way of running it. That is unless this sensor is a Nikon design.
04-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Maybe they don't plan a D5200 per se. Didn't the D5100 have the same sensor as the D7000 had? It wouldn't be too surprising to see the K-r replacement have WR and the K-5 sensor and a K-5 replacement with this 24mp sensor with Pentax's way of running it. That is unless this sensor is a Nikon design.
Hmm... not sure that Pentax's APS-C flagship should be using the same sensor as Nikon's entry-level APS-C (RRP $699 with kit lens, but will be more like $599).

This is quite a shake-up on Nikon's part, unless of course, as you say, this 24MP is a lower-cost, lower-performance Nikon design as compared to the existing 24MP Sony sensor.
04-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Hmm... not sure that Pentax's APS-C flagship should be using the same sensor as Nikon's entry-level APS-C (RRP $699 with kit lens, but will be more like $599).

This is quite a shake-up on Nikon's part, unless of course, as you say, this 24MP is a lower-cost, lower-performance Nikon design as compared to the existing 24MP Sony sensor.
Where did I say Pentax's flagship would be running an entry level sensor? I said the K-r successor may use the K-5 sensor in addition to WR. I would expect the K-5
successor to have a newer sensor. I don't know that a Nikon design would necessarily be low cost. They have bought into some companies over the past few years.

04-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

until the sensor is tested there is no way of knowing whether it is the nex sensor. In the 3200 it has definitely been crippled if it is (ie top iso is 6400) add in the 3200 is in general a crippled camera in any case as were it's predecessors. It does seem pretty silly to drop that sensor in an entry camera, but it may be part of a larger strategy to displace Canon from the #1 spot on Nikon's part. Certainly the FF line has achieved that right now, but those are still small unit volume compared to entry level. this seems a direct shot at the rebel lineup, and the d5200 may just be a 5100 with this sensor - less crippled than the 3200 but still not as advanced as a D7000. If Nikon committed to the volume for all 3 to use the same sensor with varying levels of crippling they would get a very good price on it, and at the same time be able to change the face of the entry market
It'll be interesting to see the Pentax response
04-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I guess we'll see when samples show up. The NEX-7 sensor, btw, has a very weak AA filter - the level of detail is mind blowing. IMHO they put a too strong AA filter in the K-5. I sometimes think the one in my K10D is too weak, but I'll rather have occasional moire than having no use of all those pixels.
04-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I guess we'll see when samples show up. The NEX-7 sensor, btw, has a very weak AA filter - the level of detail is mind blowing. IMHO they put a too strong AA filter in the K-5. I sometimes think the one in my K10D is too weak, but I'll rather have occasional moire than having no use of all those pixels.
I wonder how difficult an adjustable AA filter would be to accomplish in a flag ship dSLR?

04-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Went to Target today and sure enough, they are carrying the WG-1 for $199. It and an old Fuji waterproof compact (forgot the model) and a horrendously ugly waterproof Nikon S30 were located at the very end of the camera section, near the back endcap.
04-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
Banned

Photos: Albums
The WG-1 showed up at the local Target. Could be sold with the tagline: "Its IQ could not be surpassed by two successive generations!"
04-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The WG-1 showed up at the local Target. Could be sold with the tagline: "Its IQ could not be surpassed by two successive generations!"
This is, well, [ ____________________ ] to say the least (fill in the blank). I mean come on, "we had to bend over backwards and screw over our hardcore customers by sticking them with MSRP pricing to make this 1,700 store Optio deal work" - this must be like some late ass April fools day joke right? Right Pentax? It has to be, right?
04-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
This is, well, [ ____________________ ] to say the least (fill in the blank). I mean come on, "we had to bend over backwards and screw over our hardcore customers by sticking them with MSRP pricing to make this 1,700 store Optio deal work" - this must be like some late ass April fools day joke right? Right Pentax? It has to be, right?
A few people made this prediction when the WR line was mentioned. Hysterical The next higher camera body in production with WR is . . . the K-5.
04-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
A few people made this prediction when the WR line was mentioned. :Hysterical: The next higher camera body in production with WR is . . . the K-5.
at the moment. we haven't seen the product announcements yet for what is coming. and what is coming is really what any positioning is for
04-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
at the moment. we haven't seen the product announcements yet for what is coming. and what is coming is really what any positioning is for
If Pentax brioght to market a mirrorless and mirrored line, EVF and OVF, in a compact body and K-5 body, APSc and 36x24 - AND a compact MILC with K-5 internals, all with perfect ergonomics, 16fpx, 1/8000 flash sync, a better flash than Nikon, the option of with or without video and W-Fi uploads - for less than $3,000 top end and $599 bottom end - a complete accessory set - 3-year warranties on bodies, 5 on lenses, same-day service, advertising,

People would still bitch about UPP.
04-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Yep pretty much. Wonder If Nikon people bitched as much? they have put in place far more restrictive policies than Pentax and before Pentax (Henry from BH listed them)
I'd be pretty upset if they pulled the service thing Nikon did, not shipping parts to service centers that aren't Nikon centers ( Sorry but once my warranty is up I want to be able to shop for service - can you imagine the uproar that would happen if a car maker pulled this kind of crap)
04-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Pentax brioght to market a mirrorless and mirrored line, EVF and OVF, in a compact body and K-5 body, APSc and 36x24 - AND a compact MILC with K-5 internals, all with perfect ergonomics, 16fpx, 1/8000 flash sync, a better flash than Nikon, the option of with or without video and W-Fi uploads - for less than $3,000 top end and $599 bottom end - a complete accessory set - 3-year warranties on bodies, 5 on lenses, same-day service, advertising,

Daaaaaannnnnnnnngggggg, and here it is I just want to pay the fair market value for an item that I do not have to send in for service every two months.