Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is it tool late to say..ADD A PC SYNCH!!!??

Dont know why I dont speak up louder sooner faster.

01-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If your thinking that they should add a function to the new bodies it's probably too late.
However if you can think of a possible firmware addition there is a chance that Pentax will listen to you, and add it some time.
Although I wouldn't count on it
01-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #3

ive heard rumors on a few forums that that is one of the new fetures on the k20d but we can always hope.
01-14-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Dont know why I dont speak up louder sooner faster.
Why do you assume that there won't be an X-Synchro? Just curious....

01-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

While the K10D was very much a hit with reviewers and consumers, if Pentax was listening to some of the gripes about the K10D (aside from the JPEG engine), they would have put a PC synch in the upgrade.
01-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Haven't you seen the images of the Samsung GX-20, which I believe will be close to identical to the K20D? It has an extra protruding "button" at the side, which may be exactly a cover covering a PC Sync contact. Actually I cannot think of anything else that might be hidden underneath such a circular cover... Add that to Ben's remark and you know what you need to know...

Wim
01-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #7

I think what would be cool is an external hard drive that is compact and battery driven that connects to the camera via thin cable. Possibly clip to your belt etc. If some of the speculation about video is true that would be a great feature so you won't be limited to x? gigs on a memory card. Also would be nice for shooting pictures as well. Again you are not limited to a card with certain capacity. Jut a thought.

01-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #8

I don't understand the big deal about a sync outlet. Could someone fill me in?

A Pocket Wizard or any sort of wireless trigger would work fine. Who wants more cords?

Cajun, that idea about a battery powered hard drive does sound interesting though. I guess it would be a USB connection then.
01-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cajuncutter Quote
I think what would be cool is an external hard drive that is compact and battery driven that connects to the camera via thin cable. Possibly clip to your belt etc. If some of the speculation about video is true that would be a great feature so you won't be limited to x? gigs on a memory card. Also would be nice for shooting pictures as well. Again you are not limited to a card with certain capacity. Jut a thought.
If the camera has a video function, that could be made available via teathered shooting using the Pentax Remote software. The K10D can now be used in all its modes from a computer, so why would this not be possible with the K20D? If USB can keep up there's no need for an external hard drive connection.

Anyway, I don't believe it will actually have a real video mode. Simply because there's no microphone visible at the front of the camera, and a decent video mode would require that IMHO. The camera might have a high burst mode possibly at a lower resolution using a possible live view, but I don't expect anything more than that. I would be surprised if it would enable a FPS sufficient for video...

But hey... I will have no problem if Pentax were to surprise me!!

Wim
01-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
I don't understand the big deal about a sync outlet. Could someone fill me in?

A Pocket Wizard or any sort of wireless trigger would work fine. Who wants more cords?
Pocket Wizards are expensive tools. I often do work in an existing studio which has studio lights available. These are quite advanced but work with cords. If I arrive and find out I have forgotten my hotshoe PC sync adapter I have a problem. Having a connection on the body would help me a lot... one less thing to focus on...

Whatever personal use for it... it was quoted as one of the most important missing features when the K10D was announced... suppose many could use it...

Wim
01-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
and
Veteran Member

I assume the new model will have one. Hell the istD had one, beats me why they took it out, its not like its something very complicated and new to add.

in the meantime though it is fully possible to get a hot shoe to pc sync adapter, made by several brands including nikon and wein.

Of course the best thing would be not to have to buy and carry around this small item that would be easy to loose.
01-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #12

I was thinking more along the lines of being out in the field and shooting with out your PC by your side. I would think a wireless hard drive for a novice would be terribly expensive and I and am sure others would not mind the poor boy way of having a cable run between the hard drive and a camera for those special occasions it would be needed. Personally I would use it if I were to go from shooting photos to wanting to take video if indeed this feature is made available on the K20D or whatever it is going to be called.
01-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Pocket Wizards are expensive tools. I often do work in an existing studio which has studio lights available. These are quite advanced but work with cords. If I arrive and find out I have forgotten my hotshoe PC sync adapter I have a problem. Having a connection on the body would help me a lot... one less thing to focus on...

Whatever personal use for it... it was quoted as one of the most important missing features when the K10D was announced... suppose many could use it...

Wim
Yeah, Pocket Wizards are more than a little pricey. The biggest trick they do occurs with your wallet.

It would be great though, if Pentax included their own wireless trigger built into the camera, one that would just require a receiver on the monolight to work together. Wireless flash is already possible so I don't see why not.

Or I don't know why not. Could someone inform me?
01-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Haven't you seen the images of the Samsung GX-20, which I believe will be close to identical to the K20D? It has an extra protruding "button" at the side, which may be exactly a cover covering a PC Sync contact. Actually I cannot think of anything else that might be hidden underneath such a circular cover... Add that to Ben's remark and you know what you need to know...

Wim
Haven't you heard. That cover is to make changing the film easier
01-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I assume the new model will have one. Hell the istD had one, beats me why they took it out, its not like its something very complicated and new to add.

in the meantime though it is fully possible to get a hot shoe to pc sync adapter, made by several brands including nikon and wein.

Of course the best thing would be not to have to buy and carry around this small item that would be easy to loose.
They took it out because, supposedly, they couldn't get the weathersealing just right on it.