Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #121
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are we sure this new lens wouldn't work on a regular DSLR?
That is a good question. The side view pic is adjusted to the size of the DA 40 ltd based on the flange. If the length of the black protrusion and the taper on the rear is taken into the account there is a possibility.

Edit:

QuoteQuote:
Interchangeable K-mount lens for the PETNAX K-01
Model name: to be announced later Product Image
Super-thin interchangeable lens especially designed for PENTAX K-01
Market launch: to be decided

Notes:
Model names, designs, specifications and market launch schedules of these products are all tentative and subject to change without notice. Prices of these products will be announced at a later date.

Attached Images

Last edited by Blue; 04-29-2012 at 03:46 PM.
04-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #122
Veteran Member

@Steve1307 -- is that your own superimposition of the 15 limited with the mystery lens? Trying to figure out who should get a like...
04-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
@Steve1307 -- is that your own superimposition of the 15 limited with the mystery lens? Trying to figure out who should get a like...
I agreed that the front element looks kind of like the DA15 but was confused by the focus ring which looks DA40-ish, was searching for comparison and found this one.

I didn't draw it myself , I found it buried in a Japanese blog/forum

PENTAX ????? 147?? - 2???????

scroll down #42 has the picture link embedded

.....and just for fun, scroll down to #325 on that page.

Last edited by steve1307; 04-29-2012 at 09:11 AM.
04-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Interesting. Before I saw these comparisons I thought the mystery lens was a 21/3.2. At any rate, you get the like for pointing this out...

04-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Just because some elements looks similar (in size or shape) to existing lenses, doesn't mean other characteristics (e.g. focal length) are also similar.
For example, if the front element and barrel diameter is similar with the 15mm, it doesn't mean this is a new 15mm. It could be, however with a significantly different optical design (much less retrofocus); maybe faster, maybe with higher center to corner image quality. It could be a faster 21mm, why not? It could be lots of things.

I'm quite sure it can't work on regular DSLRs; some time ago someone on this forum (sorry, I can't remember who) superimposed this prototype lens over the half/dissected K-5 image. At most, it could work on a future DSLR with an EF-S-like mirror action (going backwards and up, instead of only up - thus needing less space). I wouldn't bet on that.
From the superimposed picture it was clear that there is no way it would have enough clearance for the APS-C mirror in its resting position, but also to allow it to go up for the exposure.
04-29-2012, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

You're right since it has to be a differnt optical formula to the regular K-mount DA-whatever, doesn't mean we could definitely tell what FL it will be.

Please be a 24mm, please be a 24mm, please be a 24mm.......... and miss my mirror

When I first saw it, I thought WTF1 why is there another 40mm? - from looking at thefocus ring. Then I saw the front element looking very much like the DA15 and honestly thought it was one of those "Photoshopped internet hoaxes" that you see from time to time, but it's on the pentax.jp website (official)? forum.
If this lens is real it appears to be "parts bin" special. I know car companies do this with shared components- but can you do that with lenses?

Anyone looked at the comparison of the elements to see which lens lends itself to this shorter design?

These are from Bojidar Dimitrov's Kmount page of course.

DA15 - probably ?

DA21 - possibly ? - but its already very compact

K24/ 2.8 - dont think so, the elements (MIJ) arent produced any more, couldnt shorten the optics without starting with a clean sheet.

F28 /2.8 (the shortest 28mm elements) - not likely , as per 24mm

DA 35 / 2.4 - looks like a dinky toy ! - how many differnet 35mm do they think we need?

DA35 marco - body is to too small to be a macro

DA40 - already have 2 versions of this

FA50 (DA 50 /1.8) - the rear element is too small for a bright apeture like f 1.8

DA70 - optics are very compact but i think the rear element on the mystery lens is to small to be a modified 70mm

so which is it likely to be adapted from?
04-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Probably is just a mock up to show that new lenses for K mirrorless will have part of the lens inside the big vault between sensor and bayonet, and to demostrate that in future lenses for this "big" camera will be very slim and will compensate the dimension of the whole assembly. "Yes, we know that this camera is a lot thicker than a Nex, but when will make recessed lens, our camers will be the narrower"...
Not a real lens, just something put together for press purpose at CP+...
04-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #128
Veteran Member

So it it's like one of those sexy concept cars that you see at the motor show, rotating slowly on a plinth complete a with dizzy spray tanned lycra clad model clinging onto it. :ugh:
She's only there to distract you from the fact that there's no engine, no gearbox and those twin chromed exhaust pipes connect only to a hollow void in the fibreglass shell <sigh>

I think eurostar is right, it's a mock up, a "frank-en-lens" made up of bits of DA15 and DA40 etc.
A hollow shell....
...on a plinth...
...in a glass case .....
...not even rotating......
...without a mini lycra model...
...its so sad :cry:

04-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
...its so sad
But like a concept car the production versions can be exciting or dull, forward or a rehash, depending on the inclination and capabilities of the maker. Ricoh changes everything.

The K-01 and XS lens line SYSTEM is Pentax's take on the mirrorless concept. Every other take on the concept is a new interpretation of the compact P&S. In Pentax's case that view is the Q. The K-01 SYSTEM is a novel expression of the idea.

Imagine an XS shoe-mount flash; XS shoe-mount VF; XS shoe-mount HDMI-out monitor.

Forget the Mark Newson design - that's just a box.
04-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But like a concept car the production versions can be exciting or dull, forward or a rehash, depending on the inclination and capabilities of the maker. Ricoh changes everything.

The K-01 and XS lens line SYSTEM is Pentax's take on the mirrorless concept. Every other take on the concept is a new interpretation of the compact P&S. In Pentax's case that view is the Q. The K-01 SYSTEM is a novel expression of the idea.

Imagine an XS shoe-mount flash; XS shoe-mount VF; XS shoe-mount HDMI-out monitor.

Forget the Mark Newson design - that's just a box.
Sure, I have no problem with this "whole" concept. An hollow mirrorless K5 that can accomodate non-retrofocus wides and traditional long lenses is the best of both world.

And, in fact... it's not even that has to be without mirror. The mirror flips up and the XS wide can be mounted and used in live view. Then you un-mount it, flip down the mirror and use the 560/5,6 with OVF.
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #131
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Imagine an XS shoe-mount flash

I like the two (out of three??) higher end Pentax brand flash units. I'd stack them price, features, and results against most of their rivals. I've used the higher end Pentax flash both on hotshoe and also off camera in various forms. Although unfortunately it isn't quite a Metz potato masher
04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I'd stack them price, features, and results against most of their rivals
That's a novel statement (for around here). I have the 360, which does everything I need on a K10D. I use 285HV's off camera.

I haven't tried the 360 yet on the K-01 - I'm having too much fun doing what I'm doing to take the time.

What i was referrring to was a flash designed as if it were an XS lens, i.e. big, boxy camera plus tiny, powerful flash = the unique K-0* take on the mirrorless design problem. It is the useable package that should be considered small, not the useless pocketable body (before the attchment of a lens or accessory).
04-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter

while my 360 has been acceptable it now has a crapped out battery door and the shoe is starting to detach (i use it in some pretty rough environments sometimes) I may try a metz next time