Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #46
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There is a DA ltd zoom on the road map. I wonder what the odds of this being the ~22-38mm LTD zoom on the Road map. It would have to be collapsible like a couple of the Olympus zooms. It certainly looks to be of DA LTD build to me. We not its not the DA 50/1.8.

I don't see anywhere on the current roadmap this could fit on predicted lenses. Granted the 40 XS never showed up on a map until after it was released.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/pdf/lens_roadmap.pdf
but it doesn't have a zoom ring?

i think that the k-01 lenses were not included on the lens roadmap.
they probably have a different roadmap for the mirror less line that they haven't released yet
at least thats the way i see it.

04-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
they probably have a different roadmap for the mirror less line that they haven't released yet
at least that's the way i see it.
Does the fact that they have a mirrorless line of lenses; when their mirrorless cameras accept currently produced K-mount (DA, DA*, DA&FA-Ltds) lenses not worry anyone?

Surely they're just creating competition... With themselves!! To me this makes absolutely no sense...
The XS40 is going to detract users from buying the DA40Ltd (why not use the DA40Ltd as a K-01 kit to show-off image (and build) quality and further sales of the other DA-Ltds?)

I thought that Pentax giving K-mount to their mirrorless camera would be a way to promote and expand their current and future DA line... The very existence of 'XS' (especially in identical focal lengths to DA lenses) wholly contradicts this...

Is this Pentax-Ricoh at curve of getting it wrong?

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 04-23-2012 at 03:15 PM.
04-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Sorry... I felt the need to re-phrase my argument as I just wasn't sure it came across as I intended it to on page 2...

I'm having a rough week...
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Until we hear otherwise the 40XS lens serves as a special lens fr the kit buyer who may not ahve any Pentax lenses. The DA40Lmited might ahve added more cost to the kit - thus development of the XS was undertaken.

We're thinking too small here. What if Pentax (with Ricoh's capital, production facilites and some QC and manufacturing expertise) is able to exploit old lens designs, develop new lines and maintain and expand existing lines:

Mirrorless
  • Q Mount
  • XS K0-Mount
Mirrored - APSc
  • DA Line
  • DA Limited Line
Mirrored - FF
  • D-FA Line FF (cross over to APSc)
  • FA Limited Line (more FA Limiteds) - (cross over to APSc)
Mirrored 645
  • Continuation of 645 lenses
We all think about 3 - 5 new lenses a year. What if they surprise everyone and release 10 or 15 a year for three years across all these lines, plus flashes, TC's, refconverter, radio triggers and everyting else you can think of?

04-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We all think about 3 - 5 new lenses a year. What if they surprise everyone and release 10 or 15 a year for three years across all these lines, plus flashes, TC's, refconverter, radio triggers and everyting else you can think of?
I think that would make all of us with LBA go bankrupt and move to a brand with fewer choices
04-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #51
Veteran Member

What if they surprise everyone and release 10 or 15 a year for three years across all these lines, plus flashes, TC's, refconverter, radio triggers and everyting else you can think of?
If that happens I will be very very impressed... Until then... I'll keep collecting FA-primes (as I can afford them) and dreaming of both DA & FA-Ltd lenses (as I can't afford them) with the hope that that FF on your list actually happens...

I really want what you're suggesting to be so... I really do...
04-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #52
Banned

Photos: Gallery
We're thinking too small here. What if Pentax (with Ricoh's capital, production facilites and some QC and manufacturing expertise) is able to exploit old lens designs, develop new lines and maintain and expand existing lines:

Mirrorless
  • Q Mount
  • XS K0-Mount
Mirrored - APSc
  • DA Line
  • DA Limited Line
Mirrored - FF
  • D-FA Line FF (cross over to APSc)
  • FA Limited Line (more FA Limiteds) - (cross over to APSc)
Mirrored 645
  • Continuation of 645 lenses
Well for K-01 there is a need for a nice new zoomlens that retracks and is much smaller then the current 18-55mm lens.

Making 30 new lenses over the coming three years is a need for getting Pentax back in the middle of hi-image-quality photography. To bring Pentax at a 10 % marketshare the initial investments are big, but the revenue are also very attractive, but come after the work being done.

I read somewhere that the total revenue for the photograpy market is still growing over the coming years with a grow of 1/3th from now until 2016. Grabbing a fair share of that market is even possible without eating out of the share of Canikon since the market growt is to be expected big enough.

04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Does the fact that they have a mirrorless line of lenses; when their mirrorless cameras accept currently produced K-mount (DA, DA*, DA&FA-Ltds) lenses not worry anyone?

Surely they're just creating competition... With themselves!! To me this makes absolutely no sense...
The XS40 is going to detract users from buying the DA40Ltd (why not use the DA40Ltd as a K-01 kit to show-off image (and build) quality and further sales of the other DA-Ltds?)

I thought that Pentax giving K-mount to their mirrorless camera would be a way to promote and expand their current and future DA line... The very existence of 'XS' (especially in identical focal lengths to DA lenses) wholly contradicts this...

Is this Pentax-Ricoh at curve of getting it wrong?
Maybe the present DA and DA* ranges are simply too much for this camera's intended market? Simple, basic and optically good lenses costing 100-250 bucks well OK, but fulll-on, metal, maybe WR lenses costing 400-500 bucks and up is too strong. For those the K5 or successor cameras is the chosen weapon. Just thinking. It's sometimes said that Pentax don't have enough grades in their choice of lenses - consumer, prosumer, high-end, etc - so perhaps here is one forming. There's also the question of how well some existing lenses will perform on CDAF only.
04-23-2012, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

We all think about 3 - 5 new lenses a year. What if they surprise everyone and release 10 or 15 a year for three years across all these lines, plus flashes
Haha - Well at this point in time I think most would be surprised if they actually released something that was appealing to the majority of Pentaxians - quarter 1 of this year for them was quite dismal and quarter 2 thus far is showing a less than lackluster short term outlook considering the competition is banging out new product releases that include entry level equipment spec'd better than the Pentax Flagship K5 - maybe they will hurry up and get there heads out of marc newson's arss and stop worrying about the next fashion trend and get back to designing and producing quality equipment that can help professionals produce top tier work and art. OR, MAYBE even better, start providing better warranties and work on implementing a better service and support network that will make the brand even more appealing...
04-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think that would make all of us with LBA go bankrupt and move to a brand with fewer choices
Maybe. But we'd sure have fun going bankrupt. Then we could just pass on to Valhalla - a Viking Funeral - burn the ship with our lenses in it.
04-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For all five previous posters (without quoting) - I'm an optimist and I poke pessimists (not that you are pessimists) with some crazy stuff like 30 lenses in three years, but I also think seriously about all the hints and rumors. Put it all together and there's likely to be much more going on under the surface than we think because we've been conditioned to expect so little.

We never doubt Nikon or Canon - because they have a history of delivering.

There are more things I've heard, but posting them would be just too ridiculous. Nonetheless, I think we'll be stunned two years from now by how fast Pentax moves.

I do think the lower priced lenses are necessary - such as the L-Series type of thinking. It wouldn't take much to do that. There are plenty of people who would buy Limiteds - I bought the DA40/2.8 Ltd instead of the XS with my K-01 because it crosses over to whatever dSLR I get next - and I like lens pr0n.
04-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I read somewhere that the total revenue for the photograpy market is still growing over the coming years with a grow of 1/3th from now until 2016.
33% in 5 years (by 2016-end) is realy only 6 1/2% a year, compounded - faster then global GDP growth but not really all that fast. 15% a year is a double in 5 years. The global recession will have ended by 2016. You'll see real growth in camera usage then, but the pace of technology change is so fast that our kind of photography COULD die just as fast.
04-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I'm an optimist and I poke pessimists (not that you are pessimists) with some crazy stuff like 30 lenses in three years,
It's OK... I'm not a pessimist... I'm a cynic :-p
04-23-2012, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

Painting didn't die just because photography started. Photography didn't die when video came out.

Photography will weather 3D Photography, etc., etc. I don't really mind if 'our' numbers get smaller, as long as I can still do what I want to do.
04-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
but it doesn't have a zoom ring?

i think that the k-01 lenses were not included on the lens roadmap.
at least thats the way i see it.
The 40 XS is on the Road map and is a k-mount. K-mount lens work on the k-01. Like I said, if it is the LTD zoom, it is collapsed. The zoom range on that LTD on the map isn't very long.

Last edited by Blue; 04-24-2012 at 05:58 PM.