Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #1

A lot of these threads have gotten negative

I am scanning through all of these threads and don't really care to look any of them because they have nothing but bickering, so I decided to start a new one. I am interested in what people are looking forward to as far as non-internal features on the cameras, i.e. ISO, AF, and Sensor. Rather I want to talk about what external features I hope to see out of the K20D and GX-20. Obviously everything is already decided and none of this makes any difference, but pointless conjecture is a lot better than pointless bickering. Anyways, the first is a flip-out LCD on the GX-20, with Live View, and a K20D with a regular 3" high res screen. The reason I would like to see this is that I have used an E-3 and was very impressed. If the GX-20 were to have a flip-out screen. I would probably have to get both cameras.

Secondly, I hope that the K20D comes with new kit lenses. Hopefully the DA 17-70 and DA 50-300. These are suppose the be equivalent to the quality of the DA 16-45. If this new camera is suppose to compete against the upper end pro-sumer it should not have entry level kit lenses. I think it would show great foresight on the part of Pentax to release these two as the new kit lenses to the K20D.

Thirdly, I think we would all like to see an ISO button. I think this is almost been verified, but with these new GX-20 pictures we will have to wait and see. Additionally a white balance, button would also be nice.

I think most studio shooters would like to see a PC sync and it looks like those wishes will be answered.

It is rumored also that the new K20D battery grip with have new features. I look forward to such revelations. I would atleast like to see a spot for a second SD card. If they figure out how to get more FPS with the battery grip that'd be nice, but by no means necessary. GPS can not be needed by anyone and I don't expect Pentax to have it.

Primarily I want the new 60-250mm F/4. So Pentax, PLEASE forget the new bodies just release that new lens. Then I will be happy. I would hate to have to give in and get the Sigma 100-300 F/4.

So lets not make a battle out of this. But rather to look forward to the fact that the "supposed announcement" is 11 days away and PMA is only 18 Days away where I will be at looking at the "supposed new cameras."

01-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Forum Member

sorry but...

I could not really get the difference from the posts that you mention...

Thanks for the summary anyways.
01-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I could really care less what it's like, as long as it's a reliable platform.
I'd sure hate to have a fancy camera that fails on me whenever I'm on assignment.

I wouldn't be surprised if the DA 16-45 becomes the kit lens pretty soon. It appears to be on 1/2 of the spy photographs I've seen
01-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am most puzzled by the demand of the ISO button.

What's wrong with using the "OK" button? Or why not set it to one of the control dial? K10D has one of the most versatile way of setting ISO among all DSLR. You can change ISO on the fly using the control dial without touching ANY buttons! So why do we need an ISO button?

Though not all people would agree, I believe the Samsung GX-20 photos are genuine. So it seems that there won't be any flip out screen. The battery grip looks identical to K10D grip as well.

01-14-2008, 02:24 AM   #5

Little laker, the 16-45 was intended as a small step above the 18-55. It's actually shipped as a kit with the K10D by lots of shops. I'm not sure if the 17-70 and 50-300 are meant to be on the same level as the 16-45, but maybe rather on the 18-55 level. Remember that zooms like the 50-300 (think 70-300 tamron/sigma) are not the best lenses around in those fl's. If pentax wants to put a 50-300 in the market, they'll probably design it just to compete with the existing 'semi-superzoom-tele-lenses'. I would not expect the IQ of the 16-45 from that one. Maybe the 17-70... Ahwell, time will tell :-)
01-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As current informations:

The 17-70 should be SDM and f/4
The 55-300 should be 3.5-5.8 without SDM.

This is all subject to changes of course.
01-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The 16-45 Was First

QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
Little laker, the 16-45 was intended as a small step above the 18-55. It's actually shipped as a kit with the K10D by lots of shops. I'm not sure if the 17-70 and 50-300 are meant to be on the same level as the 16-45, but maybe rather on the 18-55 level. Remember that zooms like the 50-300 (think 70-300 tamron/sigma) are not the best lenses around in those fl's. If pentax wants to put a 50-300 in the market, they'll probably design it just to compete with the existing 'semi-superzoom-tele-lenses'. I would not expect the IQ of the 16-45 from that one. Maybe the 17-70... Ahwell, time will tell :-)
Uhhh, the 16-45 f4 came first as it was the "kit" lens for the istD and the first digital APS specific lens design by Pentax:

DA 16-45/4 AL ED

IIRC, the 18-55 was introduced as the kit lens about the time that the DS was released, which would have been about 1 year or so after the 16-45 and the istD.

Ray
01-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I am most puzzled by the demand of the ISO button.

What's wrong with using the "OK" button? Or why not set it to one of the control dial? K10D has one of the most versatile way of setting ISO among all DSLR. You can change ISO on the fly using the control dial without touching ANY buttons! So why do we need an ISO button?
I have to agree. I leave my K10 in Sv mode 99% of the time, so when I go to pick up another camera at the store or wherever it always takes me a minute to figure out how to change the ISO- I'm so used to having it on the dial! And in Sv and Tv modes you can set one of the dials to do ISO as well.