Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by mattedm Quote
Hmmm, the leaked pictures of K200 show a silver shutter release. I think you may of just spotted the UFO! Lends credence to the pics being taken by a K20d too.
Thanks for the humor. I was thinking of the GX20 when I said that. Don't I feel stupid...

01-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
Exaclty same thing happened with k10d. early leak of k10d images, terrible VPN even with iso 800 ...

And, the K10D still has VPN.

After so many months of ignoring and not acknowledging the existence of VPN, Pentax makes another camera with VPN.

They, and the beta testers must really assume its no big deal as this was January 11 firmware, and introduction is Jan. 24.

Why can't they just understand what causes the banding, and not accept a design until its completely eliminated. Gordon B. Goode came up with some plausible ways to initially be sure there won't be VPN in the first place, without using firmware tweaks to overcome a design/hardware issue.

VPN should have been a given for the K20HD not to have. Color noise as well. Even the D300 & D3 have solved that issue at 6400 without additional in-camera noise reduction. Pentax knows this. Luminance noise at 6400 is not as big a deal, and is expected.

Last edited by mutley; 01-14-2008 at 07:11 PM.
01-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
And come on, if the K10D does 5fps they surely won't degrade it.
K10D only has 3fps.
01-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
And, the K10D still has VPN.

After so many months of ignoring and not acknowledging the existence of VPN, Pentax makes another camera with VPN.

They, and the beta testers must really assume its no big deal as this was January 11 firmware, and introduction is Jan. 24.

Why can't they just understand what causes the banding, and not accept a design until its completely eliminated. Gordon B. Goode came up with some plausible ways to initially be sure there won't be VPN in the first place, without using firmware tweaks to overcome a design/hardware issue.

VPN should have been a given for the K20HD not to have.
Dont take me wrong but I dont have any problems with VPN:

1. I dont like shooting iso 1600
2. I am not pixel maniac

I have used k10d for various shootouts (weddings, company party, landscape) and I simply dont have that problem ... Is there is such VPN on k20d with iso 6400 I would consider it normal. Frankly I am more scared of buying 16-50mm and finding out that I bought lemon

01-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #35

Silly question, as this is more about those swanky pentax bags.. anyone think those will be coming out any time soon?
01-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Image Fingerprints do not reflect the beta, they reflect a Fingerprint stamp of a k100D
01-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #37
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's true. Very interesting colors, a bit specific and it's CMOS of course
and good ISO6400.
But there is banding at the last photo -
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/4251/imgp0310gw3.jpg
What is ISO?

I think that it's jpeg out of camera. Very good DR. IMO.
But too small pictures.

01-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Really CMOS smoothed out texture and skin tone from the sample shots - no more film grain like appearance. But this is really not working in my favour as I prefer a pentax camera with its own unique image rendering instead of being too close to Canon quality.

The high ISO performance is a little scary to look at though.

Thanks for posting these shots hehe
01-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm going to be the first to say it, but please don't shoot me. The high-ISO pictures totally have clear vertical pattern noise. We're never going to hear the end of it on the forums.
I wouldn't be concerned about VPN yet. First, contrary to many opinions, it is in fact largely a result of under-exposure and little else. Not pretty... but can be generally beeliminated with spot on exposure.

I think overall that these images, probably unenhanced, show very good dynamic range. The skies are clearly NOT blown out and detail still seems to be rendered in the shadows. Typical of Pentax the images look about 1/2 to 1 stop underexposed. That said, high key sand will have a propensity for underexposing the image via meter bias.
Then again, the PROS there should have made said compensation on the fly

Color saturation and contrast is simply wonderful. What one should expect from DA* lenses. Yes?

Stephen
01-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Really CMOS smoothed out texture and skin tone from the sample shots - no more film grain like appearance. But this is really not working in my favour as I prefer a pentax camera with its own unique image rendering instead of being too close to Canon quality.

The high ISO performance is a little scary to look at though.

Thanks for posting these shots hehe
Hi James,

We really don't know how badly those grainy VPN iamges were underexposed. Furthermore, we don't know if they were taken by some mystery modality that has yet to be explained. A picture is worth a thousand words, but in Pentax's defense, only Pentax has the right words to say and they are not talking quite yet.:ugh:

Take the pictures at face value but to judge them without EXIF really doesn't do anyone any favors.

Stephen
01-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Image Fingerprints do not reflect the beta, they reflect a Fingerprint stamp of a k100D
What does that mean? What is an image fingerprints? Do you mean you can identify the camera model from the image alone without the exif? Haven't heard of it before.
01-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #42

I think it is called 'Signature Image' too. Each Camera brand has one.
01-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
I wouldn't be concerned about VPN yet. First, contrary to many opinions, it is in fact largely a result of under-exposure and little else. Not pretty... but can be generally beeliminated with spot on exposure.
As I've noted elsewhere, this makes it hard to take high ISO pictures with several stops of dynamic range, particularly where you need all the sensitivity you can get to get a naturally-light subject correctly exposed and there's even darker areas in the scene.

But again, I only have significant problems (noticeable without pixel-peeping) at ISO 1600 on the K10D -- even 1250 is much improved. If that holds true on the new camera but the practical limit is pushed up to ISO 5000, you sure won't hear me complaining.
01-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
K10D only has 3fps.
Oops. Maybe I'm a bit dreamy?

I think I never paid too much attention to the specs.. the GX-10 fires way faster than the K100, considering the latter does 2.5 to 2.8 fps according to reviews, I thought it was around 5 fps. I'll try to measure it someday.

anyway those 3 fps are more than fast enough for me :]
01-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Hi James,

We really don't know how badly those grainy VPN iamges were underexposed. Furthermore, we don't know if they were taken by some mystery modality that has yet to be explained. A picture is worth a thousand words, but in Pentax's defense, only Pentax has the right words to say and they are not talking quite yet.:ugh:

Take the pictures at face value but to judge them without EXIF really doesn't do anyone any favors.

Stephen
Yes, Stephen. You are right. It is not the end til the fat lady sings...

Just the overall look of the images are rather silky smooth with beautiful colour resembling a lot of my shots from canon ones ...

You are right about the sky not being blown out either. Maybe all the pentax lenses I have might do very well on the new sensor
Closed Thread