Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Sigma 18-200mm Mark II

I don't know why I missed this earlier, but Sigma has just made their 18-200mm Mark 2 HSM lens available for Pentax, together with a $100 instant rebate.

Here's the news story:
New Sigma 18-200mm for Pentax - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Lens database entry for the new lens:
Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Lens database entry for its predecessor:
Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I'm looking forward to seeing how this lens matches up to the old one (which wasn't stellar according to the reviews). I'm sure that the addition of HSM will also be an important deciding factor when looking at super zooms.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Adam,
Thanks for posting this news about the new Sigma lens. Its a good new development for those that need it.

I have a concern about the news article though:

Politely, i would like to suggest that Pentax Forums stop disparaging SDM such as the remark that SDM is not reliable. There is no data that i know of that shows current SDM is any less reliable than HSM. Adams latest poll on SDM reliability indicates a marked fall in reliability reports. I currently have the 50-135(3 years reliable), DA300 (3 years reliable), and the DA17-70 (1 month reliable, very fast sdm). I'm no fanboy, having recently criticized Pentax's policy on lens pricing, but i suspect - due to a drop in sdm complaints, that current sdm lenses are as reliable as anything else in the industry. I would be glad to look at any data or published reports you have on sdm reliability?

I don't mind at all criticizing Hoya's handling of the SDM problems when they occurred, current lens pricing or any of a number of other issues; but when the issue seems to be over - its not fair to Ricoh/Pentax to keep perpetuating the complaint - unless you have some solid reason for doing so.
05-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm only interested in lens performance.. how does it compare with the 18-125 and the 18-250
05-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
One way to look at it is this: if Pentax's new DC AF system in the 18-135mm doesn't fail, why is the original SDM system so prone to failure? You're right that there haven't been any studies on this, but on the other hand, you don't see reports of failed HSM, and in the consumer world, that's what matters. Even if you do a web search for "Sigma HSM Failure Rate" you don't get anything on the topic.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many on this Forum have lamented of late the dearth of Thrid-Party lenses in K-mount. May I gently observe that this is a possible side benefit of the new Unilateral Pricing Policy? Third-Party lens makers will hopefully be more likely to release lenses in K-mount if the price competition from Pentax-native lenses at their price points is diminshed.

Just sayin'. I'm going to duck now.
05-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'm only interested in lens performance.. how does it compare with the 18-125 and the 18-250
Soon it will be time to do an in-depth comparison of these super zoom lenses (as well as the tamron 18-200). Stay tuned for that!

Adam

05-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Soon it will be time to do an in-depth comparison of these super zoom lenses (as well as the tamron 18-200). Stay tuned for that!
Thanks - I'm not looking for performance equal to something like a Sigma 17-50, but if any of these superzooms are reasonable wide open, they could be quite good for travel (and HSM is a very nice bonus on a superzoom).

05-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yeah, no apples to oranges I think the contenders would be the Pentax/Sigma 18-135mm, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 18-200mm, and the Tamron 18-200mm. It'll be a big review, but I think many will find it helpful.

Adam

05-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it's worth, the buyer reviews at BHphoto for Can*n mount of this lens seem quite positive. They sound like shutterbug-type users who might have their bar set very low, but they DO seem to like the lens. The last time I used a superzoom was an old Sigma 70-300 when I got my K100 back in the stone age. I'm hoping for better things from this particular lens.
05-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

200mm @ f6.3? Yuck
05-01-2012, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
...You're right that there haven't been any studies on this, but on the other hand, you don't see reports of failed HSM, and in the consumer world, that's what matters. Even if you do a web search for "Sigma HSM Failure Rate" you don't get anything on the topic.
Adam - just search for Sigma lens failures: Here's some samples

1. Flickr: Discussing The autofocus doesnt work in SIGMA APO 70-200mm f 2.8 EX DG HSM (Macro) (there's 14 complaints altogether on this flickr page regarding Sigma HSM failing, just 2 samples below)

Man from the North says:
Sorry to hear that hector. You need to return the lens to the dealer, if it is brand new, demand to get a new lens or your money back.

Same thing happened to me, the autofocus stopped working in my 70-200, just like that. Later on I heard that this seems to be a common problem with Sigmas HSM lenses.

Well, I returned my two year old lens to the camera dealer, and he sent it to a Sigma repair shop. One and a half week later I got it back with a new HSM motor in it, and it is working great. I still had warranty on my lens, so it did not cost me anything

Still, I think itīs pretty bad that the lens just gave up like that, I have not dropped it and I handle all my photo equipment with care.

To add to the misery, I was on a photo trip one thousand kilometers from home when the lens decided to quit on me. :/

kenkyee says:
Could you guys list the first few digits of the serial# when this happens?

I thought Sigma resolved this and it was an issue w/ the early release of this lens (failure was due to HSM rollers sticking)...

2. Flickr: Discussing total lens failure update 3/29/2011 in Sigma 18 ...
Mar 29, 2011 ... Is this lens good for Portrait? ... total lens failure update 3/29/2011 ... I hoped it would qualify for repair/replacement under Sigma's recent ...(included replacement of the hypersonic motor)

3. SLRGEAR.COM

Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 II EX DC HSM APO review by RogerB Review Date: 5/10/2009 Would you recommend the product? No | Total Spent: $700.00| Rating: 3
Pros: sharp lens, good contrast Cons: Poor quality control - lens keeps breaking down
My copy of this lens (in Canon fit) was let down by a consistent failure of the autofocus motor in the lens. I had to send it back to Sigma twice to be fixed. And I do not use the lens much. They did fix the lens quickly, but I do not expect 2 failures in such an expensive product.
Buyer beware!

4. This from: LensPlay - Lens defects They did a survey of various lens owners.

Sigma lenses - 3214 with 725 defects
The probability of getting a good lens is 77 %
The probability of getting 5 good Sigma lenses in a row is 28 %

Pentax lenses - 1753 with 112 defects
The probability of getting a good lens is 94 %
The probability of getting 5 good Pentax lenses in a row is 72 %
======================================================================================

Conclusion:
I think we should enjoy discussing Sigma's new lens without the need to make a derogatory remark in the News comment about SDM focus motors. Without looking very hard, i found the above 16 examples of HSM problems and hadn't expected the survey information from the Lens Rental pages. I'm just saying, Pentax has apparently made some changes to how they assemble the sdm motors and i'm not seeing the number of complaints regarding them, that used to be reported. These lenses and cameras are such complicated mechanisms, that any of them work is amazing. :-)

I'll put my hard hat on :-)

Last edited by philbaum; 05-01-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Lensplay is not a lens rental company - but the survey is legitimate.
05-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Excellent post Phil.
05-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Phil - thanks for that link. It is good to see information like that. I would love to see more data from other lens rental/repair companies too.
05-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Many on this Forum have lamented of late the dearth of Thrid-Party lenses in K-mount

It's my perspective that one of the best lens' ever for the Pentax PK mount actually has the Zeiss name and optics, and even has manual focus; auto is not even unfortunately an option. I also personally look forward to the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro;although I'll rarely use the optical stabilization; the SR is probably actually more effective
05-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This is low budget lense or travelling lense. Let's not try to compare to lense 2-3 time more expensive. For me, I was debationg to go 18-135 and I will go and look at this one instead