Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5n has been reported on this Forum to have the Prime-M imaging engine, 16Mp sensor, K-01 movie and a tiltable LCD.

05-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #47
Veteran Member

645DII is most definitely under development. the need for a new sensor was a given. next sensor will likely move to 60MP, maybe CMOS and FF. Definitely a processor upgrade (I could see dual Prime M processors there is room and processing speed has been a complaint. I could also see one of the 2 card slots being the QXD card the huge sensors almost demand it
If Leica has to find a sensor for an S3 because the current sensor is done, then the Pentax is likely even more needed. the S2 has hardly been a sales powerhouse, where the 645D has done very well.
40mp for MF is at the end of it's line with the D800 release.
A 60mp CMOS with all the CMOS benefits (live view, higher iso.....) could be a ground breaker
I'm certain that is what Leica is pursuing as well, and given the very small numbers leica requires I could see them partnering with Pentax on a sensor being developed
05-02-2012, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thank you - I edited my dreams post. 2014 is more realistic for a 5-body line - plus mirrorless and 645 - anyway.
If they are starting work on a new 645D now, that means it will be released in what, 2018? :evil:
05-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
If they are starting work on a new 645D now, that means it will be released in what, 2018? :evil:
They're not starting. 645Dll has been in development since 645D was released and is well advanced now. The sensor issue and Leica rumor merely focuses our attention. Look for 645Dll prototype at Photokina under glass and a release in about 15 months.

05-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #50
Veteran Member

They're not starting. 645Dll has been in development since 645D was released and is well advanced now. The sensor issue and Leica rumor merely focuses our attention. Look for 645Dll prototype at Photokina under glass and a release in about 15 months.
Doesn't even need much development, I doubt anyone wants major design changes, better sensor, better processor(s) maybe QXD card slot, metter flash and focus (which ties across the whole enthusiast line anyway)
I doubt they would change the body much, it's one of the strengths
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Doesn't even need much development, I doubt anyone wants major design changes, better sensor, better processor(s) maybe QXD card slot, better flash and focus (which ties across the whole enthusiast line anyway)
Since the basics are in place, spend your time developing at the edges.

If they developed flash sync, new flash to match, card slots, bigger faster buffer, dual image-processing, separate AF processor and other stuff for the 645 they would certainly show up in a FF and the top APSc cameras. In actual fact, the 645 borrowed much technology developed for the K-7, not the other way 'round. Spread your R&D across many models and lower the per-unit cost.
05-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Since the basics are in place, spend your time developing at the edges.

If they developed flash sync, new flash to match, card slots, bigger faster buffer, dual image-processing, separate AF processor and other stuff for the 645 they would certainly show up in a FF and the top APSc cameras. In actual fact, the 645 borrowed much technology developed for the K-7, not the other way 'round. Spread your R&D across many models and lower the per-unit cost.
Exactly and that is exactly what i expect to happen. the nice thing is all three models have their own place in the market so you aren't likely to see features stripped on the lower end apsc. the only thing i see being on the 645 versus the other 2 is dual processors because a huge sensor will just demand that

05-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #53
Pentaxian

For the FF camera, I like the "name" LXD. So close to LSD

Last edited by Smolk; 05-02-2012 at 01:29 PM.
05-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Doesn't even need much development, I doubt anyone wants major design changes, better sensor, better processor(s) maybe QXD card slot, metter flash and focus (which ties across the whole enthusiast line anyway)
At that rate, a slightly different body with a somewhat different control layout would be easy. New image processor and software, new AF processor and software, new technology card slot, more powerful flash, tilt and/or swivel (not touch) LCD .... sounds like real work to me. And when you get done with the other stuff, you'll probably find you'll need to re-design the body in a few places. Nope, nothing easy about this at all.

But that doesn't mean that it's not half way there and moving fast .....
05-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #55
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well honestly I don't expect Pentax to move towar XQD this year or next. The SDHC/SDXC UHS-I cards are fast enough at the time. The speed that can be gained by going to XQD isn't enough to go for it and carry different systems. Pentax is of simplicity in production, so charing a lot of parts between different formats.

edited my typo: XQD

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 05-03-2012 at 01:56 AM.
05-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well honestly I don't expect Pentax to move towar QXD this year or next. The SDHC/SDXC UHS-I cards are fast enough at the time. The speed that can be gained by going to QXD isn't enough to go for it and carry different systems. Pentax is of simplicity in production, so charing a lot of parts between different formats.
they are fast enough for 24mp FF and apsc, but i think a 60mp ff 645 would benefit from them (heck the nikon 36mp ff does apparently)
05-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I worked with ST micro and they certainly know their stuff. They may be a bit slow and things may depend on how important the project is for them.

OTOH, a CMOS MF sensor will lift the entire MF market to an entirely new level.

Nevertheless, I don't expect ST micro to be able to compete with Sony in the first iterations. So, I hope that Pentax uses ST micro for the 645DII (where it would be a big step forward) but not for any K mount camera.
05-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #58
Forum Member

I love the thread and all the speculation, I hope most of this come true.

However, I was scratching my head trying to figure out what QXD was, until I realized it should have been XQD.
05-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lupine Quote

However, I was scratching my head trying to figure out what QXD was, until I realized it should have been XQD.
my dyslexia leading the thread astray sorry
05-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lupine Quote

Isn't a QXD some kind of honking big SUV?