Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
According to Photo Rumors, 645D sensor which was produced by Kodak is being replaced second generation 645D MF camera due to product availability.
That reason is unlikely because the sensor making division of Kodak was spun off as an independent company and is still around. The more likely reason is that they found a better offer from another sensor making company.

05-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's inevitable that Pentax should release a new 645D if they intend on keeping that part of the product line...
05-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That reason is unlikely because the sensor making division of Kodak was spun off as an independent company and is still around. .
Aparantly that spun off company is going to stop producing MF sensors though, Pentax and Leica will need to source a sensor from elsewhere.
05-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as it's not Phillips making the sensor (the company that doomed the original Pentax DSLR- which would have been FF by the way). Anyway, with smaller sensors in the 30MP range, the 645D will need more pixels to compete.

05-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Anyway, with smaller sensors in the 30MP range, the 645D will need more pixels to compete.
Not just that, they also have to open up options for more tech in the body I think, I believe the 645D Mk2 will benefit from dual card slots, not just SDHC/SDXC but also CF, and I think making the viewfinder interchangeable also will be a great option.
05-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
As long as it's not Phillips making the sensor (the company that doomed the original Pentax DSLR- which would have been FF by the way). Anyway, with smaller sensors in the 30MP range, the 645D will need more pixels to compete.

Not exactly.

It's also about sensor size.

Which is why if one had a camera phone with a 40mp sensor, then a non full frame of the same, then a full frame, then even a mediium format - naturally the medium format wins every time. Think of how the Kodak disc cameras were a fassive fail; it wasn't the film - it was the miniscule size of the sensor - incapable of even a qualty 8x10
05-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, will they stay with a cropped medium format sensor, or will they look for a full size sensor? (Just wondering. No way I could invest in such a system).

05-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
I've got a source for that rumor, but it concerns Leica, not Pentax.

First, it will be a CMOS sensor !
And the european semi-conductor company is ST micro.
I've send a post about that on "Chasseur d'images" forum one week ago.
The source comes from a article by "les numériques" about french tech companies : STMicroelectronics : le géant invisible

Here is the interesting stuff :
L'aventure photo se poursuivra sans doute sur la Photokina : "un constructeur allemand de renom", Leica, devrait y annoncer un nouveau reflex – moyen format ? – équipé d'un capteur géant, CMOS, signé ST. À suivre......"
Auto-translate :
The adventure picture is likely to continue on Photokina: "a renowned German manufacturer", Leica, is expected to announce a new SLR camera - medium format? - With a giant sensor, CMOS, signed ST. To be continued ...... "

So, for the next photokina, Leica should announce a Mf with a CMOS sensor made by ST micro, but nothing concrete about Pentax, it's just by extrapolation.

Regards,
Arno
Potential 4k video support? That would provide a very competitive package.
05-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
eica, is expected to announce a new SLR camera - medium format? - With a giant sensor, CMOS, signed ST.
I wonder about the "giant sensor" - I thought the S2 (unlike the 645D) was limited to the 30x45 sensor size by mount design?
05-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh should buy the medium format and Aps-c sensor manufacturing from the people who bought it from Kodak.
thanks
barondla
05-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Ricoh should buy the medium format and Aps-c sensor manufacturing from the people who bought it from Kodak.
thanks
barondla
If Pentax-Ricoh were really* serious about the MF segment and had the cash it might not be a bad idea.

It might even make sense were they able to leaverage the technology and manufacturing facilities to start making their own APS-C and FF sensors. However there are a few issues:

1). Location of the sensor manufacturing plants - are they in the US? In an ideal world Pentax would want to limit the need to ship components around.

2). My understanding of MF sensors is that technologically speaking they are a few gens behind 35mm/APS-C as manufacturers haven't invested a huge amount in the cutting edge due to the small market and high costs. The return on investment may be too low in this context. And MF are (exclusively?) CCDs which makes video etc hard. Simply buying the Kodak spin off would not be enough, further resources would be needed.

But then I don't know a huge amount about this area.

* like really really
05-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I hope all these rumors are true, and by Photokina we're looking at the following new cameras:

Q Mark II
K-r replacement
Mid-range APS-C (K200D replacement?)
K-5 replacement
K FF
645D Mark II

Sounds like a winning lineup to me!
Whoa, that sounds awesome. Together with the new lenses on te roadmap, that would put Pentax back in the picture allright. And in a serious spot too!
05-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
If Pentax-Ricoh were really* serious about the MF segment and had the cash it might not be a bad idea.

It might even make sense were they able to leaverage the technology and manufacturing facilities to start making their own APS-C and FF sensors. However there are a few issues:

1). Location of the sensor manufacturing plants - are they in the US? In an ideal world Pentax would want to limit the need to ship components around.
So then they'd only need to ship the sensors from the US to the Phillipines. O yeah, that's a great way to reduce the need to ship components around.
05-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #29
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I wonder about the "giant sensor" - I thought the S2 (unlike the 645D) was limited to the 30x45 sensor size by mount design?
Maybe they say about MP - jump from 37.5 to 70 MP.
05-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It might even make sense were they able to leaverage the technology and manufacturing facilities to start making their own APS-C and FF sensors.
Now THAT would be cool. Or Ricoh could start producing the sensors and "sell" them to Pentax. Just like Sony sells their sensors to their imaging devision.

However there are a few issues:

Most Pentax end-users are in the far east and Europe. The US has very little Pentax retailers and the smallest amount of Pentax users in the world. Starting the manufacturing in the US would drasticly increase shipping costs instead of decreasing them. Moreover, prices would rise because of the higher wages. And sales would decrease, because - lets just face it, but say it politetly: not everybody will be charmed with the "made in US" lable.