Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, forget about the full frame mirror-less dream - bring on the mirror-less medium format!

05-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
However, about 1/3 of its depth can be shaved off; it is there due to the film chamber of the original. You could make a much more compact body; pretty much in the shape and size of a Canon/Nikon FF body. Such a camera may be more marketable to a larger audience. It could also be codeveloped with an FF body and a high-end APS body with mirrorbox and prism as their main differences (apart from sensors of course)...
If you look at the digital backs from leaf, phase one or hasselblad they are still as big as film magazines. The space where the film used to be might still be fully used for the electronics. It is true the 645d is long, but it's not a larger area than the back of an FF camera. In fact, just eyeballing this, i think it's smaller. So it's gonna stay pretty much the same like that. Of course i could be wrong, and if they made the 645 shorter i wouldn't complain.
05-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it is great but there is potential for improvements(?). The current 645D is very much targeted at the film 645 users to such an extent that they haven't bothered much with lenses for it outside japan. Hence, the form factor.
However, about 1/3 of its depth can be shaved off; it is there due to the film chamber of the original. You could make a much more compact body; pretty much in the shape and size of a Canon/Nikon FF body. Such a camera may be more marketable to a larger audience. It could also be codeveloped with an FF body and a high-end APS body with mirrorbox and prism as their main differences (apart from sensors of course)...
at one local dealer he lists 19 lenses available new
in canada not japan, he was recently authorized and the list just went up
the film chamber area contains electronics now, though i'm sure they could shave a bit there is still registration distance to consider.
05-08-2012, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I tell you - this year it's 60 years ago since Asahi made the first Japanese 35mm SLR. Under Ricoh's wings they'll celebrate that important fact
...but how?
Pizza and cake in the breakroom at 2:00!

05-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
So, forget about the full frame mirror-less dream - bring on the mirror-less medium format!
I had that same nightmare once and woke up in a sweat, then realized (hoped) Pentax would never do something so stupid, both for FF and MF.
05-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
If you look at the digital backs from leaf, phase one or hasselblad they are still as big as film magazines. The space where the film used to be might still be fully used for the electronics. It is true the 645d is long, but it's not a larger area than the back of an FF camera. In fact, just eyeballing this, i think it's smaller. So it's gonna stay pretty much the same like that. Of course i could be wrong, and if they made the 645 shorter i wouldn't complain.
No. Pål is right. Did you look at the cut-through 645d pictures, or the drawing posted here?

I think it would indeed be possible to make a 645d that looks and feels not much different from a Full Format camera. Maybe not quite as compact as D800 or 5d Mk III, but not far from them. Wouldn't that be great?
05-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
No. Pål is right. Did you look at the cut-through 645d pictures, or the drawing posted here?

I think it would indeed be possible to make a 645d that looks and feels not much different from a Full Format camera. Maybe not quite as compact as D800 or 5d Mk III, but not far from them. Wouldn't that be great?
I guess it depends from two things:
1) if the 645 is going mirrorless or not
2) if not, if Pentaxs viable, for the future, going towatrd a full 6x4,5 frame instead of the crop 44x33 or larger crop 48x36

If they are going mirrorless, being the customers surely more prepared than the potential buyers of a K-01, they could shorten the registration and sell an adapters for the existitng 645 lens. In this case, the dimension of the sensor are not limiting, and they could make adapters also for K lenses.

If they stay reflex, shorten the registration could make for a compact camera, but they marries forever the 44x33 crop sensor... strange, when the new lenses were all "full frame". The recent redesign of the 25mm, could be a sign that they have changed their mind...

05-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
2) if not, if Pentaxs viable, for the future, going towatrd a full 6x4,5 frame instead of the crop 44x33 or larger crop 48x36
It depends on neither of these. Look at the drawing and the cut-through images, even a full frame 645D can be made significantly shorter than the current model. A mirrorless MF camera will not make any sense for several years to come, IMHO.
05-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #84
Banned

Yes it is great but there is potential for improvements(?). The current 645D is very much targeted at the film 645 users to such an extent that they haven't bothered much with lenses for it outside japan. Hence, the form factor.
Lenses are available overhere.

When they make the design different that 645D can get a lot smaller. When the back LCD is going to the top of the camera the camera's depth can shrink to just a little more then flangedistance, sensormodule and backside. Designwise there is a lot to do with that camera (maybe something for a certain designer)
05-09-2012, 02:18 AM - 2 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

You mean starting over from scratch, with zero lenses (oh, puh-lease! don't even talk about those stinky adapters!)
I can't understand why people insist Pentax should screw their customers, just to get rid of the (currently) best all-around viewfinder for a clearly inferior technology.
05-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Actually, I started a thread in the MF forum a while ago to find out how they would react to a mirrorless MF body. I was expecting howls of outrage, but the majority of respondents seemed to be quite open to the idea.
05-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #87
ogl
Banned

1. No any sense at all. The second question - how to make " cold " and big sensor?
a) 56*41.5 mm is size of 645 film. The digital era can offer ANY size of MF sensor.
By the way, the biggest sensor now are 53.9 *40.4 mm, 53.7 *40.4 mm (MF manufacturer called this sensor FULL MEDIUM FORMAT sensors)
and 49.1 *36.8 mm (crop 1.1).

b) By the way, ANY sensor which bigger than 24*36 mm could be called MEDIUM FORMAT sensor.

c) Kodak 44*33 mm and 45*30 mm (for S2) sensors are no in production anymore.

I think that if Pentax will use 50*37/49*36 mm sensor with 60-80 MP - it's very good.

Last edited by ogl; 05-09-2012 at 05:42 AM.
05-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think that if Pentax will use 50*37/49*36 mm sensor with 60-80 MP - it's very good.
What company will make the sensors now? Does Sony make sensors this big?
05-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
What company will make the sensors now? Does Sony make sensors this big?
Reality is the company that bought the Kodak division could be making a successor for them. they didn't go out of business. But there are others as well. Currently Sony doesn't make MF sensors, and MF sensor manufacturers are all CCD makers. It is possible of course to make them in cmos but the fab cost for small runs may be too high
05-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Actually, I started a thread in the MF forum a while ago to find out how they would react to a mirrorless MF body. I was expecting howls of outrage, but the majority of respondents seemed to be quite open to the idea.
It's perfectly normal to see no such outrage/hate, even from people who strongly disagree with the idea. Were you really thinking that all those who don't like EVFs must be haters/fanboys/whatever? I doubt it.

From your thread, how many already had a 645D or are planning to buy one? I.e. willing to cope with a no-lens-system and using adapters, as well as the lack or a proper viewfinder (getting some consumer-level EVF instead).
With such a small market, losing few thousands customers because of breaking compatibility would be a huge issue.