[happily]

"now where's the button that takes a good picture?"
How many times do I have to say, it's the third one from the left

At least that's what the good photographers tell me

01-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Why speculate.
Excuse me, do you know that you are posting in a rumors forum? And are you aware that rumors is all about speculation? If you don't like speculations, then just ignore all the rumors thread.

QuoteQuote:
What do you get out of all this? I don't understand.
Appreciation by grateful users. I, for one, like this type of post. We get some info while NDA is not broken. Much better than "Something big... but we can't tell you".
01-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #48
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loudbay Quote
Do not expect it to do your laundry, expect it to do what is supposed to do, photograph with the most "excellence" of available technology and beyond. I think she is referring to resolution levels beyond what we have seen up to this point. They use Excellent for resolution tests, so 'the most excellence of available technology and beyond', hopefully means resolution clear off the charts!

Just what I read between the lines.
Cheers, Matt
Read between the lines,

I would interpret "Do not expect it to do your laundry, expect it to do what is supposed to do, photograph [...]" to mean that it doesn't do video. It photographs.

Cheers,
01-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
I guess everybody sees the utter sillyness of this all. some even see the sadness But it also makes me feel like waiting for my bithdaypresent when I was 9.. Prying, searching and trying.. making the thing more and more important. I do enjoy that, and I won't even be able to get one for a looong while..
There's a good chance we'll all (well, most of us) will end up disappointed in the end, bet that's OK, we'll have had weeks of fun! (Although, 495 visitors to this section early this week was a but over the top )

01-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #50
Forum Member

Something wonderful yet practical reaches our hands. We move beyond the cradle and move towards her success in life. I believe she is referring to this camera's PRO level of function; beyond the K10D.

[...]

Just what I read between the lines.
Cheers, Matt
Read between the lines,

I would interpret that line as the "secret weapon" someone else has referred to: something really useful and innovative that the competition would think "why didn't I do this before.

At least, "something wonderful yet practical" doesn't tell much.

And maybe I would rule out the refocusing technology. Since it isn't practical, for you need a computer and proprietary software (I would think practical as in-camera, while being simple and useful). (And it wouldn't qualify as "why didn't I do it before"). On the other hand, there has been rumor of another format (video, refocus technology or something else?).

Cheers,
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Just a little speculation mixed in with some humour.

First, I have to say that (oddly enough) a laundry reference isn't all that off base for me....or am I the only one who used the laundry room as a dark-room?

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
The next generation in the Pentax DSLR line up,

Will not do your laundry.
Good. Hopefully it won't be used to photograph me doing laundry either .
It will not fold your clothes.
This clue is subtle, but I'm guessing it lacks opposable thumbs......
Nor can it do fluff and fold.
With my hair-line, I need all the fluffing and fold.....sorry....we're talking laundry here.....
What it can do is, move forward well beyond the competition with no vertical wrinkles and no banding in your fluff and folded high end expensive blue jeans.
High-rez images will not display VPN or excessive noise.....either that or I need a new pair of jeans.
Please respect that I have to be "very delicate" in doing this laundry here.

When it comes to whites they are very pure clean and true, especially when my daughter is on the balance beam.
....I could use my grey hair to set the WB and get accurate results?
Having done my laundry over the past few months with several prime specimens of the CN railroad and do not forget the O's in my hands to compare what went through the wash with the P in the mix.

When the laundry came out of the dryer,

The P and O had a strong battle for the top of the laundry pile. The C and N still had a bit of embedded dirt in the weave.
Better dust reduction. Perhaps reference to the lint-trap would have helped?
When my daughter preformed on the balance beam, she had to run really quick to take a very satisfied P.
I find when I have to run to the bathroom, I take a very satisfying P. as well
So mom put the very clean P on top of the laundry pile.
So pentax reigns-supreme in doing laundry! (.....which it won't do......hmmmmmm......)
Now that my daughter is 14 we progress well beyond the twean's.
My daughter's 10 going on 25. Wait.......this means that the K20D is 14mp and to progress, we need to look way past that....to say a 30mp Digital MF body?
Something wonderful yet practical reaches our hands. We move beyond the cradle and move towards her success in life.
Going beyond entry level and into the (semi)/pro-market?
Do not expect it to do your laundry, expect it to do what is supposed to do, photograph with the most "excellence" of available technology and beyond.
Cutting edge 'non-laundry' technology.

But will it have a "beer" button?

Read between the lines,
Definately entertaining!

Thanks.
01-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #52
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
....I could use my grey hair to set the WB and get accurate results?
wait, I thought grey hair was for setting exposure, and white hair for setting WB?

01-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #53
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wasn't trying to ruin your morning or anything. Your original post sure sounded like you said I was wrong... Matt
You didn't ruin my morning. I like playing with legos. I wasn't accusing you of being wrong, I was pointing out that she may have been eluding to the higher bit depth that has been rumored. My original comment was far less about the definition of a word than about the intent behind Wendy's use of it.

The problem with internet forums is that we only get to see what someone typed. We don't get to hear their tone of voice or see the sparkle in their eye. We also have far too much time to plot our responses and over-think what we have read.

All in all this has been an entertaining and interesting thread. I actually have no intention of being first in line to get this camera as I am still very happy with my K10D (which I was first in line to buy) and don't have any money anyway. I am, however, very excited to see what Pentax has up it's sleeve. Next month will be 12 years since I got my first Pentax and I am very interested in their future success.
01-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I just thought of something.
We have no way of knowing what camera Wendy is testing.

From what I understand they'll be announcing the K200D, K20D, and possibly a digital 645.
And they'll all need testiing.

I really hope that she's testing the 645, and we get to see some of it's images soon
01-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
wait, I thought grey hair was for setting exposure, and white hair for setting WB?
LOL! I stand corrected.
01-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #56
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
LOL! I stand corrected.
Actually, you should be able to use grey hair to set WB, so long as it's neutral.
01-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #57

Dave, I haven't seen your pants. Cheers, Matt

IMO she's testing the K20D and Pentax will resume progress on the 645. I'm guessing a couple more lenses on the road map as well. I'm not sure what they will do to complement the DA* 50-135 on the longer end. Hopefully something creative.

M
01-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #58

I mentioned it before, about Wendy's "practical" but what does everyone think about a zoom ring with clicks stops or a zoom lock? I've always thought that would be a more practical feature.

Or at least, a toggle button on the lens to turn zoom click stops or the zoom lock on or off.
01-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
I would interpret that line as the "secret weapon" someone else has referred to: something really useful and innovative that the competition would think "why didn't I do this before.
Cheers,
How many current dslr's(excep medium ones like hassel.) have a vertical viewfinder?
I mean something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/41109.jpg
Is it usefull?
01-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
I mentioned it before, about Wendy's "practical" but what does everyone think about a zoom ring with clicks stops or a zoom lock? I've always thought that would be a more practical feature.

Or at least, a toggle button on the lens to turn zoom click stops or the zoom lock on or off.
That's a lot to extrapolate from the word "practical"!