Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Err? two live views at the same time?

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Could someone please explain to me why Live View through the viewfinder would be such a big deal? Now a live histogram... that's a completely different story.
If you ask me, "Live view" in the viewfinder is a silly idea, doesn't make much sense at all. Notice I said "Live view."

"Image preview" in the viewfinder is what I've heard the rumors say and that makes much more sense; so just like the "digital DoF preview", a sample shot of the image you're about to take will probably show up in the viewfinder for exposure and DoF confirmation. And as you said, Live histogram is another thing I see happening in the viewfinder.

Live view in the viewfinder? Two "live views" at the same time? One digital and one optical? Completely redundant drain of battery that I don't see happening.

Cheers!

01-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
Live view in the viewfinder? Two "live views" at the same time? One digital and one optical? Completely redundant drain of battery that I don't see happening.
Not at the same time (like superimposing on each other), but you can select optical or digital view. If you have image preview in viewfinder, then why not Live View in viewfinder?

For current technology, optical viewfinder still works best. But there are some situations when digital Live View viewfinder would be useful. Assuming the electronic screen has high enough resolution (otherwise, it would be a pain to use), Live View allows you to preview exposure, preview WB, and preview the DOF; and have live histogram. You get 100% view, not 95%. And you get a magnifying crop for manual focusing for perfect focus (no misalignment, no miscalibration). Live View using the rear LCD is impossible in many outdoor situations, and camera handling and controls to take a picture while using the rear LCD is awkward. Live View Viewfinder also allows... video shooting.
01-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #33
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think its more of a gimmick and would spend much time implementing it. better image quality, less noise, more dr, faster focus, better metering, better awb, more fps, bigger buffer etcetc those are things that matter
01-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
One application: where you need to shoot alot of pictures in very quick sequence, , ie., sports.
I also switch to jpeg when photographing books (SD cards fill up too fast with RAW) and when doing property inventory for insurance where quality is not that important.
Photojournalists also shoot jpeg because they don't have time to process RAW because of deadlines.
Except the photojournalist I know who works for a weekly newspaper, and has an editor that likes to fiddle with the raws----so she uploads raws to him.

01-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I think its more of a gimmick and would spend much time implementing it. better image quality, less noise, more dr, faster focus, better metering, better awb, more fps, bigger buffer etcetc those are things that matter
And if it is a gimmick which sells cameras (another example is video mode), keeps Pentax profitable, more 3rd party lens support, most backing from Hoya... well then, I am all for it.
01-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
do we have the same K10D?

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
image quality - wow, this is something I currently have no issues with, whatsoever.

less noise - again, it's never been an issue where prints are the destination.

more dr - drop the contrast slider in LR

faster focus - yes, even hell yes.

better metering - i've been really, really happy with the metering, but i'm a hobbyist, so, grain of salt and all that.

better awb - again with the 'hell yes'.

more fps - nope, not unless it was a no brainer done from the guy who was there doing work experience.

bigger buffer - unlimited JPEGS already, not many others can claim that... actually, can any others claim that?

YEAH BUT...
Being able to chimp without having to take the camera from your eye - surely that would have to improve anyones productivity/enjoyment with a DSLR? That's the No.1 thing I missed when I went from a Fuji S9600 (230K EVF lcd), to a D40.