Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sherlock Holmes take on the K20D... eliminate the possible, and you're left with the.

WB - close to perfect in all conditions (at least as good as using those special lens caps and taking a shot to set custom WB.

HDPhoto - First to DNG, first to HDPhoto. Also makes great strides in solving the (perceived by biased reviewers) JPEG sharpness/compression quality issues. With option of 8/12/14/16bit colour.

ISO Performance - as good as Canon in those pointless tests. ie: better than nikon, better than K10D. Good enough to shut the reviewers up.

The big carrots - at least two very special things, exclusively Pentax things, that we'll part with $ to get, because nobody else has them... yet. So those things can't be Liveview or fast FPS, or great WB. God... I hope it's not video

01-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My bet is one of them will be live view through the optical view finder.
01-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I just wnat my K20D to roll the perfect joint

01-17-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 123K10D Quote
WB - close to perfect in all conditions (at least as good as using those special lens caps and taking a shot to set custom WB.

HDPhoto - First to DNG, first to HDPhoto. Also makes great strides in solving the (perceived by biased reviewers) JPEG sharpness/compression quality issues. With option of 8/12/14/16bit colour.

ISO Performance - as good as Canon in those pointless tests. ie: better than nikon, better than K10D. Good enough to shut the reviewers up.

The big carrots - at least two very special things, exclusively Pentax things, that we'll part with $ to get, because nobody else has them... yet. So those things can't be Liveview or fast FPS, or great WB. God... I hope it's not video
I am all for better DR, ISO noise, or WB. Somewhat faster fps would be good also but please no SuperDuper fps in HD-TV format!

I don't need more pictures, I need better pictures.

(Edit: Explanation:

This very pointless semi-rant is comming from two factors:
1/ The coffee was really bad this morning. I need to find an expresso machine that works....
2/ While drinking my coffee, I read some random post saying that a 25fps mode with HD pics to be displayed on TV would be a great thing which aggravated my humor....

End of edit... Now for some real coffee...)

01-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
2/ While drinking my coffee, I read some random post saying that a 25fps mode with HD pics to be displayed on TV would be a great thing which aggravated my humor....
Mmm I don't see the point of moaning about any possible HDTV thing.
If you don't care, fine, don't use it. I do not see the problem, really.
01-17-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm I don't see the point of moaning about any possible HDTV thing.
If you don't care, fine, don't use it. I do not see the problem, really.
I protest against this blatant aggression against my Liberty of Free Moan!

I have just about the same right to moan that every other poster here, and God knows we all use and abuse of this right on this gossip forum!

Take this for example: where would you be if you didn't have the right to moan against posters like me who moan about ridiculous things?!

I'll continue to moan (although gradually less and less as afternoon sleepiness sets in, that andouillette is not going to digest itself easy...) even if I must die for it!

This is where I make a stand: you shall not pass!
01-17-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

yeah. I for one would love it. A Pentax video camera! Great colors, all my sweet lenses on video...

01-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #8

A quick question on live view in the viewfinder...

Isn't that what a viewfinder does now? I look through the viewfinder and see what's there. Not sure I get what the big draw is. Or am I missing something?

Now a live histogram in the viewfinder would be sweet.

Slick
01-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slick Quote

Isn't that what a viewfinder does now? I look through the viewfinder and see what's there. Not sure I get what the big draw is. Or am I missing something?

Slick
LV on the viewfinder means you see the input from the sensor, not the light itself coming into the lens. That way you can check exposure, rendering and composition with 100% coverage. Like seeing the "digital preview" in real time.

The other advantage would be to review shots on the VF, without the need to move the camera away to look at the LCD.

I just hope it has good resolution. The EVF on the Fuji cameras (the only ones I've used) sucks big time. It's like putting your face against a stadium LED screen.
01-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I protest against this blatant aggression against my Liberty of Free Moan!

I have just about the same right to moan that every other poster here, and God knows we all use and abuse of this right on this gossip forum!

Take this for example: where would you be if you didn't have the right to moan against posters like me who moan about ridiculous things?!

I'll continue to moan (although gradually less and less as afternoon sleepiness sets in, that andouillette is not going to digest itself easy...) even if I must die for it!

This is where I make a stand: you shall not pass!
LOL, I didn't say you were stupid or had no right to moan.
I myself expressed my opinion which is that it has no point moaning about that.

If you prefer, I moan about you moaning about video

So I perfectly respect your right to moan, since I moan myself
01-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
LV on the viewfinder means you see the input from the sensor, not the light itself coming into the lens. That way you can check exposure, rendering and composition with 100% coverage. Like seeing the "digital preview" in real time.

The other advantage would be to review shots on the VF, without the need to move the camera away to look at the LCD.

I just hope it has good resolution. The EVF on the Fuji cameras (the only ones I've used) sucks big time. It's like putting your face against a stadium LED screen.
Thanks Ricardo. That makes some sense. I figured I was missing something there.

Slick
01-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If it will have live view in the viewfinder, I hope they won't compromise the matte screen.
I'll probably buy the K20D (several months after it will appear - if CBA won't strike sooner) just to have the latest&greatest camera , but a bad viewfinder will be a big no-no. However, I don't think Pentax would do something like that.
01-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #13

Live histogram in viewfinder, but with normal optical view .... now that would be something...
But then again highly unlikely, cause it's the sensor or mirror that's getting the light, not both ....
01-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slick Quote

Slick
My hope is the live view in the optical view finder can be magnified so the focus can be checked. Being able to adjust focus without removing your eye from the OVF would, I think, be a big help for those of us using MF and having eye sight that is less than perfect. Being able to see the histogram through the OVF would also be a bonus. Chimping is OK but takes to long and in bright sunlight is not satisfactory for fine tuning focus.
01-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

maybe possible

QuoteOriginally posted by procyon Quote
Live histogram in viewfinder, but with normal optical view .... now that would be something...
But then again highly unlikely, cause it's the sensor or mirror that's getting the light, not both ....
Take a look at the diagram of the Olympus E-330 here:

Olympus E-330 EVOLT Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

In "Mode A" live view, the live view is provided by a small secondary sensor, not the main CCD. This allows the mirror to be down and live view on the LCD to still function. (This isn't as weird as it seems as first -- there's normally a beam-splitter directing part of the image to the autofocus/metering system -- which is probably a CCD too.)

So if Pentax implemented something like this, we could indeed have the magical heads-up display idea -- imagine blinking highlights/lowlights right in the viewfinder.