Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Explain why PMA is 31 Jan to 03 Feb, 2008 then what's with the 24th of Jan?

I'm not sure I get all of this. Now, the PMA website is telling me that the dates are 31 Jan to 03 Feb.

PMA - The Worldwide Community of Imaging Associations Home Page

But we are all waiting for the 24th? Why is this? Thanks, Phil

01-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Pentax are having a press-coference in France where they'll be presenting the new cameras.

I'll find a link in a few seconds...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/17662-press-conference...g-january.html

Last edited by freeload; 01-17-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Found link :)
01-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote
I'm not sure I get all of this. Now, the PMA website is telling me that the dates are 31 Jan to 03 Feb.

All the major announcements happen a week to two weeks before the show. Pentax's press conference is scheduled for the 24th.
01-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is totally normal, by the way. Take a look at dpreview at the dates of announcements from previous years.

01-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #5

Jan. 24th is my birthday and I won't change it according to PMA. I want to hear the news on my birthday. :-)
01-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote

History has taught us that announcements of new products are generally made in the weeks or even months before large trade shows, not during the show itself. This is generally true of the PMA and Photokina.
01-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #7

I am just hoping and praying for a weather sealed flash announcement. I have put my purchases of new units off in the fear that the replacements would be announced next week.

01-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
All the major announcements happen a week to two weeks before the show. Pentax's press conference is scheduled for the 24th.
Who said it was the 24th? I didn't...Could be earlier, could be a bit later. As soon as I am done at the PC and get permission to post the event I will. I suspect that they will be OK with that as the press will be there for that purpose as well. They may ask I wait for 24 hours or so, but I hope not...

Ben
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
History has taught us that announcements of new products are generally made in the weeks or even months before large trade shows, not during the show itself. This is generally true of the PMA and Photokina.
Based on pentax track record, that equates to months. So maybe 2009 b4 pentax rollout LOL LOL
01-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmadden Quote
Based on pentax track record, that equates to months. So maybe 2009 b4 pentax rollout LOL LOL
No...Days from now.........

The PC that is.
01-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #11

I hope so for their sake. They already lost one lens sale when i had to give up the wait and purchase the canon 70-200mm. Good thing i have options

What kind of shutter release does pentax use, is it mechanical? I hope they discontinue it. I watched the camera actually shudder on release, while it was on a tripod. And that awful cluk clunk sound scares my dog.
01-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Who said it was the 24th? I didn't...Could be earlier, could be a bit later.
We know that your press conference in France will be on Jan 23. And we know that Pentax will launch front page newspaper ads in Japan on Jan 25. So the time frame should be between Jan 23 and Jan 24 depending on your location.
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What kind of shutter release does pentax use, is it mechanical? I hope they discontinue it. I watched the camera actually shudder on release, while it was on a tripod. And that awful cluk clunk sound scares my dog.
Actually, the mirror flap probably causes more vibration than the mechanical shutter. So unless you get rid of the mirror and optical viewfinder as well ....
01-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I hope so for their sake. They already lost one lens sale when i had to give up the wait and purchase the canon 70-200mm. Good thing i have options

Excuse me for asking...But WHAT are you talking about? What awful clunk sound. Not the K10D? Look, I was sponsored by Canon prior to Pentax and used all of their gear and their "Clunk" sound sounded as clunky or more so than the K10D...Now the Canon 400D is very quiet, but the differences are not that apparent.

Ben
01-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, the mirror flap probably causes more vibration than the mechanical shutter. So unless you get rid of the mirror and optical viewfinder as well ....
haha! the canon makes barely a peep of noise, so i wonder if canon took out that mirror "scratches head"

edit to respond to Ben, no it's the k100d