Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
yeah I hear monochrome FF k mountor too Rico
You rang, sir?

05-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The source added that Ricoh is set to eventually disappear as a camera brand.

However, Ricoh has stoutly refuted the claim.

Was there or was there not JUST RECENTLY a write up [from the horses (Ricoh's) mouth] that specifically said "Ricoh's Entire Camera Division Will Be Pentax Branded"? I was certain I read that in an article here on the site but I can not find the referenced material now.

EDIT: I am certain that is what is written in what I read, there was even a thread talking about it - can't find it though.
05-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, what was done was having Pentax handle Ricoh's camera business. That is official.
Rest is blabla.
05-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Was there or was there not JUST RECENTLY a write up [from the horses (Ricoh's) mouth] that specifically said "Ricoh's Entire Camera Division Will Be Pentax Branded"? I was certain I read that in an article here on the site but I can not find the referenced material now.

EDIT: I am certain that is what is written in what I read, there was even a thread talking about it - can't find it though.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, what was done was having Pentax handle Ricoh's camera business. That is official.
Rest is blabla.
Ricoh has two major divisions:
B2B - Business to Business => Copiers and intermediate manufactured compoents e.g. Pentax lenses for Smartphones
B2C - Business to Consumer => Ricoh and Pentax cameras.=> Pentax Ricoh Imaging, Ltd.
The article stated Ricoh's and Pentax's product lines were rearranged so that there would be a comprehensive distribution channel globally for all products manufactured by both companies intended for the end-user categories. Therefore Pentax Ricoh Imaging, Ltd. will globally handle development, manufacturing and distribution of all retail camera products for both brands, through the regional divisions e.g. PRI USA, EU or Canada, or through distributors such as C R Kennedy in Australia.

05-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Re-organization of Imaging Systems Business including Digital Camera Business

Tokyo, February 9, 2012 – Ricoh Company, Ltd. (President and CEO: Shiro Kondo, hereinafter Ricoh) announces an organizational change to its imaging system business including security system business and consumer digital camera business.

Since October 1, 2011 when PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY (President and CEO:Zenji Miura, hereinafter PRI) was established, Ricoh managed its global imaging system business under two brands, RICOH and PENTAX. Specifically RICOH brand digital cameras were designed, developed and sold by Personal Multimedia Product Company (hereinafter PMMC), an internal organization of Ricoh, while PENTAX brand digital cameras were designed, developed and sold by PRI.

In an effort to strengthen customer relationships and provide innovative products and services, Ricoh will re-organize its structure.

1.Effective date:
・April 1, 2012(plan)

2.Scope:
・Worldwide

3.New functions of each business unit:
・PRI: Consumer businesses such as digital cameras for B2C market
(This includes Ricoh development resources to improve capabilities and support
Ricoh branded cameras )
・Ricoh PMMC: B2B businesses including security system business, and imaging solutions
business for B2B market

February 9, 2012
Ricoh Company, Ltd.

Ricoh reshuffle sees Pentax take control of cameras: Digital Photography Review
05-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Come on, Ricoh. Show us that you can do more than just watching Pentax USA raise lens prices (while claiming they aren't raising lens prices).
It seems I've got a quick reply (); the K30 looks very promising and holds a lot of promise for the K-5 successor.
05-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Let's go into fantasyland. What high-end Ricoh products might we want or see?

* GRX mountors: FF/PK, MF/645, IR, B&W, Xray, video, holographic
* medical imaging devices (independent of Hoya/Pentax Medical)
* Bluetoothed VR specacles, upgraded version of Google Glasses
* implantable digital optics, similar to Geordie LaForge's visor
* Earth-surveillance satellites, launched by Virgin Spacelines
* insect-eye lenses of infinitely variable focal length and speed

Those are just the start. Stay tuned.

05-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Yeah, I mentioned composite lenses ala insect eyes and was promptly told by a few experts here that Nature had 'abandoned' them millions of years ago.. (nobody seems to have told the insects though)

Imagine a flat lens with millions of lens elements.. one per sensor pixel
05-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Well, this could be a Lytro by Ricoh
05-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Given the K-30 release, I can buy into this thread now.
05-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Hope for the GXR FF mountor.
05-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

We really need a Science-Fiction section (in fact, most rumors and feature requests can go directly there). Adam?
05-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the GXR FF K-mount module became available, I'd be into that system in no-time! That or FF K-01 with EVF and proper design!
05-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We really need a Science-Fiction section (in fact, most rumors and feature requests can go directly there). Adam?
Oh yeah, not to forget the atomic helicopters and robot house servants, heh heh. But much of what I mentioned are actually in somebody's pipeline. Only question is: Ricoh's?

Some stuff that *will* hit the ground eventually, maybe sooner rather than later:

* Dust-speck optics, little flying motes with single-pixel sensors and RF linkage. A cloud of these can easily (with much computer assistance) produce high-res 3D pics.

* Insect-eye adaptive mirror optics, a miniaturized version of what's used in some major astronomical telescopes already. Configure the mini-mirrors to any desired focus.

* Optical interferometry, where widely-separated sensors|mirrors form a virtual lens of any desired focal length and aperture. This concept is old-hat in radio astronomy.

* Implanted optics|sensors. Old news. The trick is engineering them for mass production. These need NOT be implanted in the front of a human head. Would you like to have working eyes tattooed onto your hands? Look Ma, Ricoh eyes!

There's a technology saying: Last year, it was impossible. Next year, WalMart will discount it. IOW, yesterday's SciFi is tomorrow's loss-leader. Bet on it.
06-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #30

That's so true, and not just for photo buffs like us. I think it drives the late night infomercial industry!