Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll probably be deciding between the K-30, the K-5, or the new Olympus OM-D E-M5. The Olympus has a lot going for it, but if this camera is much cheaper I might stay with Pentax.

As far as looks, I think the K-30 is an improvement over the K-r, but I still think the K-x is the best looking of the bunch.

05-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Let me doubt this is weathersealed body if sold with DA-L kit lenses, as shown by the 3-model picture ...
That was on my mind, too, but if this is the case, why would Boulanger offer it with the DA 18-55mm WR lens and state that it is weather-resistant?

--DragonLord
05-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #153

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of excitement due to new product, but what's really new? This new "entry-mid" comes at 799 euros, k-5 with rebate now is 757 euros.

3 cameras sharing the same sensor now, all within 50 euros difference. Looks like the same AF module, 11 points. Maybe at 500 euros would be interesting, at least for me.

For k-01 they got that designer dude, this one looks like designed by Hyundai A little toy-ish but not bad.

And i don't mind to be called troll or whatever, i know this make some fanboys happy !
05-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #154
Veteran Member

If this is the direction that the Pentax and Ricoh merger are headed in then I am very excited. I'm hoping they clean up the camera lines and get some cohesion to what they sell camera-wise.

05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
A lot of excitement due to new product, but what's really new? This new "entry-mid" comes at 799 euros, k-5 with rebate now is 757 euros.

3 cameras sharing the same sensor now, all within 50 euros difference. Looks like the same AF module, 11 points. Maybe at 500 euros would be interesting, at least for me.
That's what my tiny brain can't understand, it's not a new segment at all as K-5 already filled that exact one for a year.
05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn lot of analyzing going on here.
Looks slick, might be a good backup if actually WR.
05-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That's what my tiny brain can't understand, it's not a new segment at all as K-5 already filled that exact one for a year.
To me, it says the K5 is going away in the not-too-distant future because, you're right...it doesn't make much sense to have two cameras so close in price and specs.

05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Unsurprisingly, people are going to complain about the looks. It happened with the leaked and eventually announcement of the K-7/K-5. Amusingly the main point of contention was the pop-up flash. The deviation from "standard" looking K20D had people complaining. But, eventually, people didn't care and bought it for its performance... which will probably be the same case here.

That said, to nitpick a point, I prefer the pockmarked grip. There's nothing toyish or silly about it. There's enough things out there where pockmarked/latticed designs are used to allow for better breathing and ventilation - common instances are on bags. This will not only allow for a better grip but for breathing between your hands, which in outdoor and humid areas which means less sticky and sweaty hands. Small convenience that no-one would notice till they move to a "normal" grip.
05-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
To me, it says the K5 is going away in the not-too-distant future because, you're right...it doesn't make much sense to have two cameras so close in price and specs.
Then the K-30 has to be better than the K-5 in enough ways and/or a K-5 replacement comes in around the same time. Or they would actually lower their high end for a while when getting rid of the K-5 or have three(!) conflicting cameras at the same price.
05-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #160
Inactive Account

Ooooo, exciting! I like this camera, step up from the K-01 for not much more- also a great 2nd body for those with a K5 already
Remember K5 will get a replacement soon so you might see the price either stabilise or fall significantly.
The real question is there still room for an entry level below this? If so it will need to be cheaper than the K-01 with similar specs to KR.
I still love its WR and 2 dials, that will shake up the market abit
05-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
It happened with the leaked and eventually announcement of the K-7/K-5.
Exactly. And i think they are one of the most beautiful classic DSLR designs.

That said, to nitpick a point, I prefer the pockmarked grip. There's nothing toyish or silly about it.
yes, i love that, too, and wish they had that on the right hand grip instead of the leather, too. would look awesome imo.
05-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unsurprisingly, people are going to complain about the looks.
Not sure I understand all the comments about what it looks like. The only part of a camera I see is the view finder, I don't care what the rest looks like.

I do care how it feels in my hands though and that will have to wait.
05-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #163
Pentaxian

I'd love to get a look at the top and the back of the camera, but so far it looks like a seriously well designed camera. Some nice design touches on the left hand side and the grip looks great too.

No top LCD means it is not for me, but it seems to be a great camera. Very promising regarding the K-5 successor!
05-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #164
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The only thing I'm wondering is why Pentax must be so inconsistent with their camera names...
I got a feeling that Ricoh will put an end to this, hence back to the number series that in a long term perspective is a better idea.
05-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks good to me. I seriously doubt that R/P will introduce an entry-level dSLR below this one. The sales for a cheaper model would have to be off the charts to make the margins attractive. When was the last time Pentax had an uber seller anyway? And what features would be compromised to undercut this one? I am not sure that any compromised features would warrant the design and production - even removing the WR. Also, the initial MSRP of this K-30 is somewhat close to the initial MSRP for the K-r. If the past is of any value, the price will drop a bit as well.

R/P seems much more poised to go APS-c K-5 replacement and FF. There will still be an obvious need for a full featured semi-pro APS-c dSLR, and the competition is dictating that a semi-affordable FF will be required. Their plans for updating the 645d is a good sign that R/P wants to compete at a fairly high level. I don't think they need the baggage of four dSLR's.