Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's just an intro-level replacement for the K-r, spiced up with something new for a change (the added buttons and weather sealing).

I find it funny that after complaining about the discontinuation of the K-r for so long, so many people are asking this very question. The new K30 will be priced just slightly higher than the K-01, which would make sense, as it's a DSLR after all. Regardless, it's still going to be in the intro-level range, though I fear that the affordability of Pentax cameras is coming to an end.
It's almost 200 more than for example the new D3200 and that's a lot for a first time buyer and therefore not an obvious choice for first timers.

05-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #182
Veteran Member

When is the last time someone could see dirt and especially skin in a tennis racket grip? That's what (some) of the K-30 grip looks like. I suspect the grip portion on the right serves the secondary purpose of better drop protection. Pentax isn't unseasoned with rugged weather resistant cameras. This K-30 does feel like a merging of the K-r, K-5, and WG-2 (whether or not Pentax builds the WG-2, I'm assuming they at least designed and engineered it).

Now, I'm just hoping it is really weather resistant considering some images show the cheap non-WR lenses attached.
05-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #183
Inactive Account

The problem is for this to bring in new customers to Pentax - it has to go head-to-head with Nikon's new D3200, which is the low-end sex machine right now. And Canon is probably going to announce a 22 MP low-end body before too long. If this has the same video spec as the K-5 it can't compete on resolution or video - two places the low end is going to be battling it out over.
05-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #184
Site Supporter

Imagine what would happen if Nikon released a D2 next year with higher specs than the D4, just like Pentax did with the K-5 and K-7. It would make no sense!
Looking to Nikon for a naming scheme that makes sense? Lol, let's look at the DXX lineup in chronological order :

D70 -> D50 -> D80 -> D40 -> D60 -> D90 ???

And of course they are in different tiers, at different times, adding to the confusion. They might have learned their lesson with the new DXXXX system, though.

Last edited by Cannikin; 05-16-2012 at 04:13 PM.
05-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
The problem is for this to bring in new customers to Pentax - it has to go head-to-head with Nikon's new D3200, which is the low-end sex machine right now. And Canon is probably going to announce a 22 MP low-end body before too long. If this has the same video spec as the K-5 it can't compete on resolution or video - two places the low end is going to be battling it out over.
Weather resistance does mean something to a lot of people. That is Pentax's niche. As for the D3200, it looks terrific but definitely more of an entry level camera. I am expecting the K30 to be a lot more full featured.
05-16-2012, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #186
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks like a mid-range camera to me (two wheels, weather sealing, rugged body, RAW button), a worthy successor to the K200D. If that's the positioning then the price is right, and we will either see an entry level camera later, or perhaps the K-01 is intended to fill that spot.

K-01 -> K30 -> K-5 (and it's upcoming successor) -> K-? (full frame)
05-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #187
Veteran Member

Gets a thumbs up from me!
The shape, especially the grip, look great. However, the built-in flash looks a bit Nikon-like to me.
I think the specs looks promising, so far, and certainly attractive for the suggested price.

It'll be either this or the K-5 as my upgrade from the K10.
Still, don't think that I could be without a top LCD though...and I doubt the K30 is as rugged in the hands as the K-5. But it is weather sealed.
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #188
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Interesting positioning of this model. At that price it's hard to pitch a model below it. With those features (WR and twin wheels and grip-able) it's hard to pitch a APS-C model above it.
Indeed, and I get a feeling that there wont be a DSLR model below this one, looking at what Ricoh seems to be doing this fits well into what I find them doing, going "upmarket" with the Pentax brand. Instead the release of a FF later this year wouldn't be a huge surprise to me.

05-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
A small inconvenience people will surely notice is picking out mud and skin from all those grooves and holes.
But if it's WR, at least the blood will rinse right off.
05-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #190
JFN
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It's almost 200€ more than for example the new D3200 and that's a lot for a first time buyer and therefore not an obvious choice for first timers.
Maybe Ricoh prefer brand aware first time buyers with a bigger wallet, who prefer stuff that everybody else doesn't have....
05-16-2012, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #191
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
If that's the positioning then the price is right, and we will either see an entry level camera later, or perhaps the K-01 is intended to fill that spot.
That's what I think will happen.

Newbies: K-01
Serious newbies: K30
Hobbyists: K-3 (APS-C)
Pros: Full frame K-mount
Studio: 645D

That right there would make a pretty solid & logical lineup.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Weather resistance does mean something to a lot of people. That is Pentax's niche. As for the D3200, it looks terrific but definitely more of an entry level camera.
Exactly true about WR. Pentax is the only company that offers low cost WR lenses. I wouldn't call the D3200 anything but an incremental improvement over the D3100. It's a pretty thoughtless release. Sadly, my friend who has a D3100 was (somewhat) jokingly wanting the D3200 for the extra mega pixels and red color.

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
It's pretty obvious just from the specifications we have so far the K-30 is more competition with the Canon 60D than anything else. The K-30 is like a (better) 60D with the price of a Canon T3i. I don't think Nikon has anything comparable, but if the D7000 is any indication, they will follow Pentax's/Canon's footsteps with something like the K-30. The D7000 was copy on the 7D/K-7 spec level semi-pro.
05-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #193
Veteran Member

The K30 only makes sense vs. a 24mp Nikon D3200 with the 18-55mm WR.

In fact, it only makes sense with the 18-55mm WR or other WR lens period.
05-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #194
Pentaxian

If the K-01 dropped to about 500-550 it would be in direct competition with the D3200 and that would be a great move. Is and was the K-01 cheap enough to produce to drop it to that level in a near future?
05-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Great line-up.
I am also thinking that Ricoh might cut out the entry-level model in favour of the K-01.