Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm excited about where Pentax is headed. The camera looks great to me and I'm intrigued with the improvements over the K-r. However, I will only consider upgrading if the autofocus is improved. It has been really the only complaint I've had with the Pentax lineup. I'm anxiously awaiting full specs and when it comes out, reviews from folks who actually use it. Looks like a really intriguing camera!

05-16-2012, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #197
D0n
Banned

me thinks it has articulated flip out lcd....

that lump on the side of the camera.... possibly a hinge...
05-16-2012, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's what I think will happen.

Newbies: K-01
Serious newbies: K30
Hobbyists: K-3 (APS-C)
Pros: Full frame K-mount
Studio: 645D

That right there would make a pretty solid & logical lineup.
To me, the K30 isn't considered a newbie camera, unless you consider the K-5 a newbie camera, because that's basically what this is, a K-5 + color - LCD.
In my opinion, this K30 should be the top APS-C and the K-5 replacement should be the FF model. So you throw in the 24 MP sensor and a better AF system, does that warrant another APS-C offering?
In my eyes, there would not be enough differentiation between the K-30 and whatever another APS-C could be.

Now, You have this K-30 for serious amateurs, and the next model up is a FF 24MP sensor, with a AF system that rivals Canikons, at around 2K...now that's a lineup!

Last edited by cali92rs; 05-16-2012 at 04:42 PM.
05-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #199
Veteran Member

I wonder if it will have these things previously left off Pentax entry levels models (at least the last 2 or 3 anyway)
1) Cable release socket
2) Extra drive menu options like timer delay + bracketing
3) AF fine adjust
4) user modes
5) pentaprism vs pentamirror

Those are pretty nice features on the K-5. I wouldnt buy a K-30 over a K-5 if it lacked those things, even if it does look awesome, have better video and even if it has focus peakig.

05-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #200
Veteran Member

That's what I think will happen.

Newbies: K-01
Serious newbies: K30
Hobbyists: K-3 (APS-C)
Pros: Full frame K-mount

That right there would make a pretty solid & logical lineup.
That is a clean logical line-up, spec-wise, but the K-3 and KF-1 better resemble each other else there's zero shared visual DNA among these cameras to speak of. (It would really help if the KF-1 (FF) was an actual thing).

You may not think it matters, but marketing wise, a brand having a cohesive look/philosophy among all its products is the first step to forming a brand relationship with the consumer. With all the latest forays, I honestly don't know what the Pentax look/philosophy is right now. It's one thing to step outside the box, its another to take diverging steps from all sides of it.
05-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not seeing how a D3200 can even compare with this camera, just based on the limited data we have at the moment.

Does the D3200 have two dials? (one for aperture and the other for shutter speed in most cases).

Just that feature alone makes the D3200 out classed. Megapixels, to most users, aren't that important anymore. It seems to have worked well for Nikon with the D800, but that isn't even a full win with videos like this showing the Canon option being a lot more appealing
. If I were to ever switch, I'd probably go Nikon, but I can't say I'm impressed by releases like the D3200.

I think we will eventually find out the K-30 is going to be a very responsive/quick camera for the market position around a Canon 60D.
05-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote

Great catch. It better be. that would *really* help its fight vs. the D3200 (not to mention the K-01 and K-5) and show some forward(ish) thinking from Pentax.

05-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The rumor was that a K-5 Super would be released with a swivel LCD, so I find this quite plausible.
05-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #204
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only the 645D is also for serious outdoor photographers as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
The rumor was that a K-5 Super would be released with a swivel LCD, so I find this quite plausible.
meh. Would rather avoid that camera. The K30 would be a more robust option.
05-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Megapixels, to most users, aren't that important anymore.
Unless you're an average consumer with no knowledge about digital cameras; then megapixels do matter because it's the only number you have to compare cameras.
05-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #206
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

We won't see an articulated LCD screen on a Pentax SLR cam anytime soon, I think...
05-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Does the D3200 have two dials? (one for aperture and the other for shutter speed in most cases).

Just that feature alone makes the D3200 out classed. Megapixels, to most users, aren't that important anymore. It seems to have worked well for Nikon with the D800, but that isn't even a full win with videos like this showing the Canon option being a lot more appealing .... If I were to ever switch, I'd probably go Nikon, but I can't say I'm impressed by releases like the D3200.
I really wish that was true, but whoever understands and covets a 2nd dial over megapixels is most likely looking at the model above this one. To *most* users (who never go past the kit lens and shoot mostly on full-auto) all they're thinking is 50% more resolution = better. A big box consumer case could be made for WR, but only if it ships with WR kit lens.

I really hope this has Pentax's first DSLR hinged screen otherwise they've just accomplished making a cheaper Nikon D7000 a year late.
05-16-2012, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
What an odd looking thing... It's like a K10D and a K-01 had a baby...
Looks like the designer of the WG-2 got his mitts on the K30. Honestly, I think this "Megatron" design direction is better than the Marc Newson one.

05-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #209
Veteran Member

illdefined
I think we understand your message. You dont like it. Now let us make our own opinion
05-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
illdefined
I think we understand your message. You dont like it. Now let us make our own opinion
Who's trying to stop you